Fordmods Logo

Bad economy. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Bad economy.
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hi guys

I've got a fairmont ghia EF, now trip computer says im getting about 16l per 100k and thats driving it soft.

What could be the problem?! any things i can go check for? Could it be as simple as fuel filter?

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

is it a TRUE figure? or is it an instant at that time of driving

ie fill tank up
reset trip use 3/4+ of tank then fill up again and record litres and Kms
divide the litres into the kms for fuel econ.

if it is bad
change everything liek
fuel filter, plugs, leads dizy cap and rotor, airfilter
then do the same again
if still bad

take your damn foot off the pedal!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

if it still s**t after the new fuel filer, spak plugs, air filter you could have the same problem as me screwed map sensor and exhaust o2 sensor casing to sum seriously screwed fuel ratio's and im on 15.5 lol

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Xflow wrote:
if it still s**t after the new fuel filer, spak plugs, air filter you could have the same problem as me screwed map sensor and exhaust o2 sensor casing to sum seriously screwed fuel ratio's and im on 15.5 lol

Oxy sensor definitely if it's got over 100k on the clock. Also try the map sensor.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

What temp is it running at? If it's not in the middle, or running a little too cold, there's a chance you need a new thermostat. Too cold will let it run rich all day. Had this issue in my old CFI EA GL. changing it almost halved my fuel costs.

Just a possibility..

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

oxy sensor dropped my consumption by 20%

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Well guys im getting a bit of a fuel smell out of the exhaust with a little bit of steam.... thats when its running in the normal zone ( sitting on N) I think the thermostat's alright, cat converter looks pretty old, had a look under the car while doing manual conversion the other day and noticed the welds on the cat were a bit s**t? Could it be an exhaust lead or screwed cat?

cheers

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

what time of the day did you start the car up and steam comes from the exhaust???? during day when warm/hot is then you most likerly got snapped head studs/bolts (exhaust side) my car had that when i bought it

the coolant is seeping into chambers and cheating steam from the exhaust.

the bolts that snapped on my engine were on exhaust side between cylinder 3 and 4 and cylinder 4 and 5

if they snapped you up for a top end which cost buggerly all just make sure you shave the head and get it crack tested before you slap it back on the new head gasket.

if it steam in the morning just normal.

look at coolant temp sensor check that giving the correct reading to the ecu.

if your able to unbolt the exhaust away from the back off the cat and get a torch and have a peek up the back of the cat and see how the honeycone going.

what car your compressions like??? you might have a poor compression causing your problem

try them and know where you stand bit better

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I will get my compression tested soon as i have a mate that has one.

I replaced fuel filter today and way better performance, it was pretty blocked.

There was a bit of petrol coming out of an injector when i took 1 bolt out of the inlet manifold....( to take off the air pipe i got)

Could that be because i undid a bolt or is that a leaking injector? (broken o ring)

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

was that out of the top or bottem of the injector? top did you undo the fuel rail when you moved you air pipe or what ever? might just be fuel rail slipped off when you undid it. you lost me on the part where you undoing your intake manifold for intake pipe. also by doing that your weakened the intake manifold seal now that cause poor idel and last of power and excesive fuel comsuption lol

if you want to check your injectors seals/o-rings take your fuel rail off and give them a look over and if there all good when you put them back in get some vasaline and put that over the injectors o-rings best stuff it dosen't eat the rubber o-ring like some corrosive greases

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Alright, How much are the o Rings if mine are brittle and old? The cars done 270,000K's btw so i except it.

Sorry, my air pipe( its a custom mandrel bent piece). To take it off its attached to one of the inlet manifold bolts, so you have to take an inlet manifold bolt off to remove the thing. And when i did remove it. i smelt petrol :P

Other than that. Could it be coil pack?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]