Fordmods Logo

Balancing a N/A 6 for possible turbo application? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Balancing a N/A 6 for possible turbo application?
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

is there any MAJOR KW gains out of balancing a AU motor? as im curious and this would make the engine moe reliable and last longer ? yes?

also what sort of price would i be looking at to balance a EL or Au engine? after it has been recoed and does this have to be done before you assemble it?

i was just told that they can balance the engine once it has been assembled but i still cant see how as the only way i have known you could balance a motor was to have all the new parts ready to install then get it balanced before you assemble it !!

any help/ ideas

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Post subject: Re: Balancing a N/A 6 for possible turbo application?
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

The main reason for balancing the engine internals is to reduce vibrations, especially at high revs. The crank and flywheel are spun (in a lathe I think) to find irregularies in their balance. Pistons and conrods are weighed & then machined. The idea is to have all the components spinning in harmony with each other.

I paid $200 to have all my bits balanced before assembly. I don't think it wll add any rwkw. I asked about blueprinting but the engine builder said ACL already had fine tolerances on their pistons & rings, so not worth the additional cost for a street engine.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
The main reason for balancing the engine internals is to reduce vibrations, especially at high revs. The crank and flywheel are spun (in a lathe I think) to find irregularies in their balance. Pistons and conrods are weighed & then machined. The idea is to have all the components spinning in harmony with each other.

I paid $200 to have all my bits balanced before assembly. I don't think it wll add any rwkw. I asked about blueprinting but the engine builder said ACL already had fine tolerances on their pistons & rings, so not worth the additional cost for a street engine.

Exactly...why do you think most engines wear out? Minute out-of-balance that's what. Highly unlikely it will add Kw, but it all probability it will add longevity.

My motor is balanced and relatively solid mounted (dont want broken mounts), and you wouldn't know it in the car, no vibrations, no shaking of the vehicle or anything.....

Cheers

8-) Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

pistons/rods/pins etc are balanced off the crank, the crank then has weights added to it to simulate the rotating assembely and spun on a balancing machine that then tells the machinist where and how much metal to remove (usually done by drilling) or add to the counterweights.

would be silly not to do it really...

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

HMMM well for what it costs im thinking i may as well do the full balance just more for piece of mind and reliability cheers im guessing it would make a smoother power output too?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it should reve cleaner/smoother, yes

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]