Fordmods Logo

Barra into EF information 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

Yeah it’s been done but not easy. Mainly because of the complex ECU and the "fly by wire" accelerator set up. Street Machine did a feature on a EL XR6 with a BA XR6T donk in it. But he clearly spent big $$$. I can find the issue if any wants :D

On that note, i think 157kw is quite enough for a 17yo :wink:

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

fordzatmyplace wrote:
Yeah it’s been done but not easy. Mainly because of the complex ECU and the "fly by wire" accelerator set up. Street Machine did a feature on a EL XR6 with a BA XR6T donk in it. But he clearly spent big $$$. I can find the issue if any wants :D

Yes please!

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

look him up
his name is jetxr???
i think hes on this site
and he got his engine from darren at ftg autosalvage (good publicity in the magazine mind you)

i was going to say, try and get in contact with that guy and find out how he did it...

And note for the kid... if your doing this on a check out persons wage at coles,
give up now...
better off, get your ef..
learn to drive it
learn how she works
a good 3 years and you SHOULD be an alright driver, know your car well, gotten the cobwebs out, swapped what needs to be done in any old aging car..

Then when you have a bit more money saved up..
get ya barra,,, maybe get a part time daily driver car too (ford ofcourse) and have your ef in the garage whilst you still goto work... and try and get it all done..

And if this is mummy and daddy funded...
get a job :)
and dont tell the people on the site that it is

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

yeah i did have a picture of that car but not anymore. its blue with massive rims and the engine has a sqaure hole in the middle where you can read and engine plate

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Yeah but what cost him so much was the full house engine rebuild. That engine is far from stock and its making some serious ponies. Well that's what the mag said.

We all dream. When I was 17 I wanted a supercharged 429 BOSS in a tubbed out XF and wanted it all legal. Now day's I'll be happy enough with a mildly worked 302 windsor in there or, at the very most, an injected clevo with maybe a wiff of the laughing gas. And me being a bit wiser I know that any of these cars are out of the question untill I'm out of uni and earning some decent money. I don't understand why some people are so desparate to have it all so they get 10 and 20k loans to do up their cars. That's not me. IMO a loan should only be used for 2 things. 1 a house and 2 a business.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EFII Fairmont Ghia 5.0

QLD, Australia

My attitude is theres no damn guarantee that will even be alive this afternoon, let alone in 3 years. Why does everyone live for the future when you could be dead by then? if you want a BA in a ef then do it but don't expect much change from 20,000 by the end of it.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

fnp wrote:
fordzatmyplace wrote:

Yes please!

waddya wanna know?? pics? :P

chunkz wrote:
look him up
his name is jetxr???
i think hes on this site
and he got his engine from darren at ftg autosalvage (good publicity in the magazine mind you)

i was going to say, try and get in contact with that guy and find out how he did it...

And note for the kid... if your doing this on a check out persons wage at coles,
give up now...
learn to drive it
learn how she works
a good 3 years and you SHOULD be an alright driver, know your car well, gotten the cobwebs out, swapped what needs to be done in any old aging car..

Then when you have a bit more money saved up..
get ya barra,,, maybe get a part time daily driver car too (ford ofcourse) and have your ef in the garage whilst you still goto work... and try and get it all done..

And if this is mummy and daddy funded...
get a job :)
and dont tell the people on the site that it is

thats it, JetXR, a might fine machine in my book :wink:

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Yeah but what cost him so much was the full house engine rebuild. That engine is far from stock and its making some serious ponies. Well that's what the mag said.

We all dream. When I was 17 I wanted a supercharged 429 BOSS in a tubbed out XF and wanted it all legal. Now day's I'll be happy enough with a mildly worked 302 windsor in there or, at the very most, an injected clevo with maybe a wiff of the laughing gas. And me being a bit wiser I know that any of these cars are out of the question untill I'm out of uni and earning some decent money. I don't understand why some people are so desparate to have it all so they get 10 and 20k loans to do up their cars. That's not me. IMO a loan should only be used for 2 things. 1 a house and 2 a business.

he he funny you should mention that. when i was 16-17 i had the grand idea of dropping a 427 stroker into the ed. :D

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

and at 21 im regretting not getting an 8... stoopid heavy boats :S

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

chunkz wrote:
give up now...
learn to drive it
learn how she works

Hey that's me! I'm a check-out chicks operator... i also scan groceries :D

What if you were able to pick up a cheap front cut of a BA XT or something? What else would you need for the conversion and lets assume labour is done by yourself & mates (so the cost of a few cartons ;))

ECU plus what else?

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

r there any issues with the mounts and bonnet clearence (BA non turbo in EF)....

if its just wiring the ECU and throttle...then it could be done cheaply but not easily or quickly if u do it yourself...

then theres the legality issue....and resale value....it would probly cost 5000 on top of the purchase of the EF.....so for a few more thou you could probably get an auction BA XT (much nicer car and completly legal)

....but as the DOHC motors become more affordable its a matter of time before more people start doing it....might have a go if I can pickup a BA motor at the right price

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

keep it simple i say. if youre gonna do an xr6t ba conversion, start with a ba n/a engine. this way, clearance and ecu/wiring issues are ironed out reasonably well before you go the turbo setup

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

janek wrote:
keep it simple i say. if youre gonna do an xr6t ba conversion, start with a ba n/a engine. this way, clearance and ecu/wiring issues are ironed out reasonably well before you go the turbo setup

I disagree - the turbo is the LEAST of your worries.

Then again i dont see the point in the whole BA engine into e-series idea. Fair enough to do it to be different (for now anyway), but sink the same amount of money into an e-series engine and it will go a lot harder.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

When i was 17 and i wanted to do was play hide the sausage with as many girls as i could find

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Quote:
Then again i dont see the point in the whole BA engine into e-series idea

What does a BA weigh? anyone?

What does an EA Spack weigh? well under 1400kgs.

How much power can you squeeze out of a Barra turbo? Lots.

Cany anyone say single digit 1/4 mile times? A minitubbed EA with a moster powered barra turbo will pull 9's all day, and, with a bit of patiense and practise it should dip into the 8's. Driveline issues aren't that major. all you will need is a beefed up C4 box with a treansbrake and a minispooled diff. The borg warners can cop more than what most people can through at them with an auto. There are several low 9 second VL's running spooled borg warner diffs.

I wouldn't bother dropping a barra into an EF or EL as they are a heavier starting base. Even the AU is lighter than a barra and you might not even have any clearance issues with an AU.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2