Fordmods Logo

Barra into EF information 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Barra into EF information
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF GLi 5 speed

NSW, Australia

Hello All. I am new here and am 17 years Old .I am also thinking about purchasing an EF and putting a BA DOHC motor in it with a T5 . I have a basic understanding of what I would have to do but I have several questions.
What would be the cheapest way to go about this? I understand there would be problems with clearance; could this be rectified by fitting a different rocker cover? Also the ECU; Would I need to use Megasquirt or Wolf3D ECU's? Would they facilitate the Dual VCT functions? I was thinking that the stock ECU would need to be talkign to the BA SmartShield and BEM and thus could not be used on the EF . Could I use a pre BA T5 if i had a different flywheel machined? Do they make aftermarket camshafts for the DOHC motor? I am after some serious power for this car, and i dont mind a lumpy idle. Thanks for your help, Mitch.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

Its highly suggested you learn how to drive before you even try to do anything to your car as to put the engine in your looking at least $2-5k for the engine with loom, + labour +ecu ($1500 up) + fitting labour. then i presume you'll wanna lower it for just under $1000, then wheels? $2000, then of course you'll turbo it cuz you have enough money spent but realised hold on i can put a xr6turbo engine in BRO! ..

Get off your P's or least GET on them before you start to even do anything or consider trying to afford modications. Your better off buying an XT falcon for under $22k second hand and doing that instead of attempting to do what your thinking.. You'd have more of a chance to put on some sik bro rims on a ba then a pre-au falcon as im sure thats hat ur after, chromies? lol.

ahh i cant help myself, seriously.... DREAMER!

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Maaaaayte.... you have a long way to go before getting to the level you are talking about.

Learn to crawl before you try to run.

Do some smaller mods and work your way up.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB S XR6

NSW, Australia

The eventually cost of doing what u want to do, u could simply by a BA, and have a newer car. Go and have a look at Pickels Auctions. Several months ago a BA XR8 went for 22K, so if u wait and lucks on your side u should b able yo pick up a XR6 for less than what u would spend doing the conversion.

EB S XR6
161kw At The Wheels
14.8 @ 149.92 km\h WSID

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I say if you have the cash and are willing to stick to it do it,

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:44 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Molloy wrote:
I say if you have the cash and are willing to stick to it do it,

As fuzion said, it's ALOT of money.
Chances are you won't even be able to get the BA ECU working due to it's reliance on all the systems being present before it even starts the car.
So hello MoTec.
Hmm, how much are they?
More then the cost of an EF?
Plus install and tuning?
Ouch.

If falconIV does have about 30k to play with to do the whole lot, I'm his new best friend.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

Or atleast his parents may have the $30,000 and no brain.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Is it really necessary to bag this kid out just because he's young, we were all a his age once, just seems like every time someone young and enthusiastic comes onto the forums, all anyone can say is "dont do anything cause your obviously young stupid and cant drive"

Having said that, i'd say this project is probably a little ambitious and impractical, could slip in an warmed over windsor and get much more power for half the price and a great exhaust note to boot.
Radical mods are probably best left for people with heaps of money and time.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

I agree with brendo_3, don't bag the kid, at least he has the ideas and the drive to ask the questions.

We, as a car enthusiast fraternity, need new ideas, and who knows, it might just work. :D How many people out there spend umpteen thousand dollars on cars, just to be different?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

brendo_83 wrote:
Is it really necessary to bag this kid out just because he's young, we were all a his age once

Erm does that mean i have the right to bag him out as i'm the same age as him, and can clearly see he is dreaming???

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

Obviously there confused as him twinbmx, or wanting to ask that themselves. lol

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

small mods soon add up, im alread $5000 in deght because of small mods, also add the car price onto that. as for this kid........ get yourself a stock eb/el, do some little mods and THEN after a few years, start looking at high performance s**t if your still interested

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

not necceserially bagging him out. more just the swarms of people who appear here saying these are their plans and they know most of what needs to be done but dont really have any idea of what its gonna end up costing them.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

We have no idea how well the guy is financially, he's asking for advice and while yes he's young, that doesn't mean that he's dreaming.

Worst case senario, you answer the question and then everyone who reads it knows what needs to be overcome to achieve it :) Who knows, someone might even come up with a great idea or two that makes it a feasible propersition.

BTW i can't help you directly either, but a DOHC barra would be a much nicer starting point than the stock donk, however as others said it's not the best way to fast on a budget.

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

there is probably a cheaper way to get 182Kw - thats only 25Kw above the 157 stock Efs put out...which is only +16%

never the less, im interested in doing this convo myself....anyone actually done a BA motor into a non BA?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next