Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Barra pistons & rods into EL block
Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sorry my bad :oops:

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

It is 0.222 = 5.6mm longer. I have miscalculated. :oops:
At the end of the day you know what i'm getting at.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

racer wrote:
Are you for real tickford_6.
4.5mm is a massive differance & will make a massive differance in the rod ratio.
I have built & know alot about combo,s for cleveland engines.
One example: std cleveland rod length 5.778" high performance people put 6" chev rods to improve rod ratio & a smaller 2.1" big end (Chev size) for less rpm on the big end.
A 0.222" differance in length. You do your maths less than a 1mm.
Just to add a longer rod will stay at TDC & BDC longer which means more cylinder pressure & better burn. I had 6" steel Childs & Abbot rods in my cleveland.
What i've learnt is when it comes to engine & cylinder clearances a hair clearance will make a differance.

I am %100 for real mate.

when you look at the actual change in rod ratio, it's insignificant 4.5mm in rod length,will change the rod ratio from 1.504 to 1.55 Keep in mind here the stroke is 99.31mm
Even at 1.55 it still very much at the a*** end of things. If you could get the rod ratio in the mid 1.6s, i could see the cost being worth something.

your clevo example. stock 5.778 rod on a 3.5inch (88.9mm stroke) will give you a 1.651 rod ratio.
with a 6inch rod on the same stroke you get 1.714 rod ratio.

If rod ratio is such a big deal for you. Arias do modular V8 pistons that will give you an extra 7.136mm in rod length that a 6.160inch rod, that will give you 1.575 rod ratio. Then you might start to see some benefit.

Id also like to know of a problem with the ford engine that could be directly blamed on the 5.88 rod.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Then why did FORD put a longer rod in a AU & keept it right through to the FG.
When building & altering a bottom end in the high performance world rod ratio is always a factor.
You think what you want to think. If we build a bottom end & a longer rod will get closer to the perfect rod ratio we will use it. In theory it must make a differance. There are other benifits to a longer rod aswell. But you will stick to the shorter rod because it will make no differance from what your saying. Well buddy i will not be seeing you if you build engines.
I still can't beleve you think 4.5mm in length weather it is shorter or longer is not going to make any differance. PLEASE.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

racer wrote:
Then why did FORD put a longer rod in a AU & keept it right through to the FG.
When building & altering a bottom end in the high performance world rod ratio is always a factor.
You think what you want to think. If we build a bottom end & a longer rod will get closer to the perfect rod ratio we will use it. In theory it must make a differance. There are other benifits to a longer rod aswell. But you will stick to the shorter rod because it will make no differance from what your saying. Well buddy i will not be seeing you if you build engines.
I still can't beleve you think 4.5mm in length weather it is shorter or longer is not going to make any differance. PLEASE.

In the real running engine YOU wont be able to tell the difference.
Engine life wont change.
NO dyno on the planet will measure a difference.
It wont make a difference on the track.

If your engine doesn't need the strength of the Aftermarket BA H-beam rods it a waste of money and time to fit them. If it needs the strength and you had a choice between a 5.88 rod and a 6.060rod, then i can understand getting the longer rod. I just can't see spending $1200 on rods just to gain 4.5mm of length as being a good thing. Keeping the stock rod that has proven its self good for over 400rwkw and putting a forged piston on the end of it, will leave you with $1000-$1200 that you could spend on something worth while.

Ford also increased the size of the main journal on the crank. but we all this will increase bearing speed. IS that a good idea too?

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Thank you very much tickford_6 for your input.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2