Base Timing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Base Timing
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

I know what the base timing is for an EL i6 (10 deg Adv) But just want to make sure when to read the timing. I know about the self test mode but want to be sure on what part of the selft test mode to perform the check. Is it during the high rev stage or just after it? It only says in the sticky 1 min after self test starts.

Cheers...

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

the engine will rev up a bit then settle,,its when it has settled is the time to check it....and from memory it should be 10* before top dead centre.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

You'll also find the time it takes for the engine to give you that telltale rev increase will vary - some may take a minute, others may take longer.

As mentioned, the engine will stumble and smooth out - that's when you should check, after that.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No worries i thought that may have been the case as the high revs only lasts for around 15 seconds but the whole test runs for about a min. Thanks for the replies.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 94 Futura

WA, Australia

I read that in diagnosis mode the timing zero degrees plus or minus two degrees. Check after the revs drop. You have 2 minutes.

Post subject: Check again
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I read that in diagnosis mode the timing zero degrees plus or minus two degrees. Check after the revs drop. You have 2 minutes.

Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Post subject: Check again
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Wow Commando, a bit button happy? :P

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
You'll also find the time it takes for the engine to give you that telltale rev increase will vary - some may take a minute, others may take longer.

As mentioned, the engine will stumble and smooth out - that's when you should check, after that.

yeah thats how it should be done. also i noticed the sticky in here says 1 min but the gregory's manual says 2 minutes. i think with the ea it was a minute.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Commando wrote:

Commando wrote:

Commando wrote:

Commando wrote:

sticky says base timing should be set 10 degrees advanced. :D

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

these are the instructions acording to the gregory's manual.
actualy its alot different to the sticky.

(1) Drive the vehicle for a minimum of 3 km to stablilise the engine at normal operating tempreture.
(2) Switch the engine off and using a jumper lead, earth the self diagnosis input connector. Connect a timing light to the engine as previously described.
(3) Start the engine. The engine speed should increase to 1,300 - 1,600 rpm for a short period indicating that the ECU is in the self test diagnosis mode.
(4) Using the timing light, check that the notch on the crankshaft pulley is aligned with the IGN mark on the timing cover.
(5) If necessary, loosen the distributor clamp bolts and rotate the distributor untill the timing marks are aligned. Tighten the distributor clamp bolt securely.

NOTE: The timing must be checked and adjusted within 2 minutes of initiating the self test diagnostis mode. If more time is required, switch the engine off and wait for 15 seconds before repeating the procedure.

(6) Remove the jumper lead from the self diagnosis input connector and check that the timing marks have moved from the aligned position indicating that the timing is being controlled by the ECU.
(7) Switch the engine off and remove the timing light.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Redford wrote:
these are the instructions acording to the gregory's manual.
actualy its alot different to the sticky.

(1) Drive the vehicle for a minimum of 3 km to stablilise the engine at normal operating tempreture.
(2) Switch the engine off and using a jumper lead, earth the self diagnosis input connector. Connect a timing light to the engine as previously described.
(3) Start the engine. The engine speed should increase to 1,300 - 1,600 rpm for a short period indicating that the ECU is in the self test diagnosis mode.
(4) Using the timing light, check that the notch on the crankshaft pulley is aligned with the IGN mark on the timing cover.
(5) If necessary, loosen the distributor clamp bolts and rotate the distributor untill the timing marks are aligned. Tighten the distributor clamp bolt securely.

NOTE: The timing must be checked and adjusted within 2 minutes of initiating the self test diagnostis mode. If more time is required, switch the engine off and wait for 15 seconds before repeating the procedure.

(6) Remove the jumper lead from the self diagnosis input connector and check that the timing marks have moved from the aligned position indicating that the timing is being controlled by the ECU.
(7) Switch the engine off and remove the timing light.

That does not apply to EL as the timing is set after the engine almost stalls (Approx 2 min after self test has started) I think the above procedure is EB to ED.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ah yeah it does sound different. the info is from an EA-ED manual

when i start the engine with the jumper attached on the EA it will have a realy low rpm and will allmost stall (and usualy does) for 3-4 seconds untill the high rpm kicks in. then after another 3 seconds the rpm levels out to normal idle speed. after that point i check the timing or make adjustments. 1 minute is plenty of time.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]