battery power problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: battery power problem
Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

ok my battery drained while i was driving last night and subsequentially killed my car inthe middle of the road, thought was alternator so replaced the bushes now it drains the battery untill i give it bootfull then it charges it to 14v, any ideas on what the cause is? not really a lead foot so want to fix the problem

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Post subject: Re: battery power problem
Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

It might sound stupid but I had a similar problem - it was my alternator belt not being tight enough and slipping....

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan
Cold Air Intake | Sequential Scoop | Pacemaker 4480 & 2.5" Exhaust

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:53 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

When you say you changed the bushes did you mean brushes? Could be a stuffed alt/regulator or a poor connection. Check for voltage drops with a multimeter between the positive battery terminal and the back of the alternator (B+)with car running and lights on. Also check between engine block and neg battery terminal under load. Should be less than 0.3v. Is it the eb of the ef that you are having trouble with. If its the EB, check those fusible links that come off the positive battery terminal. They are known to cause trouble. One of them goes to the alternator and the other to the remaining loads in the car. The links are just wires that go to 2 large plugs just on the side of the battery.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:20 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

My car had similar symptoms a while back and it ended up being the battery terminals were full of crud. A good clean and file of the battery terminals solved the problem.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Which of your cars has the problem? On the Bosch alternators for the EA-ED, there's a regulator at the back. If it fails, you'll have charging problems. The battery has to be disconnected when it's replaced, or you may damage it. Not sure about the EF/EL alternators.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

sorry its for the EB, yeah meant brushes, had a blonde moment there lol
weird thing is it will sit at 11-12v when i first start and drive normally (not reving more than 2.5krpm) but when i get the revs over 3k it will go up to 14v and sit there till i turn the car off and the process will repeat itself

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Get a multimeter and do some checks. Check for clean battery terminal and connections. Check for excessive voltage drops across your wiring as suggested above. If wiring looks good, you may have to grab another alt and give it a go.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:38 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Efna if your EB II is like mine it will be running the Mitsubishi alternator and the regulator is built in. It has to be opened and disasembled to get to it. Its a headache.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]