Fordmods Logo

BBM metal gasket thingy... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: BBM metal gasket thingy...
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

...hey everyone. I took the top half of a BBM off so that I could polish it up for my spare motor...got lazy and never got the chance to polish it up.

Engine in the car decided to prematurely s**t itself and I had to rush and put my spare motor together. In the rush, I didn't get a chance to get a new gasket for the BBM assembly and when I put the spare motor into the engine it had a distinct hissing sound near the BBM if not the BBM itself. The gasket that is sandwhiched between the top and bottom halves of the BBM.

Would that metal gasket cause the hissing sound? I had a look under the car to find any unplugged vacuum hoses but none were found. So the last thing could probably be that specific gasket. Forgot to ask the guys at the cruise yesterday. Anyways if it is the problem, are there any other places besides Ford that stock these gaskets?

Thanks

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6 manual

VIC, Australia

Hey Pong, I got a gasket here you can have if you need one. Came in the gasket set when I rebuilt the motor and didn't use it (didnt seprerate bbm) Also got a spare bbm if you want to borrow that to check if thats your problem.

EF XR6 5spd 14.57@97mph
154rwkwts

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:57 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

grub73 wrote:
Hey Pong, I got a gasket here you can have if you need one. Came in the gasket set when I rebuilt the motor and didn't use it (didnt seprerate bbm) Also got a spare bbm if you want to borrow that to check if thats your problem.

hey man...

sweet. Umm I have a spare bbm here...but i so cbfed pulling the BBM off with the engine in the bay. I had a hard time getting one bolt off the other day to put the bracket on that holds the engine loom. Never cursed so many times in my life lol.

what would you like for it?

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6 manual

VIC, Australia

Nah mate you can have the gasket (probably keep the bbm for porting fun :twisted: ) but its not a metal one, just a normal gasket. I'm in Cranbourne for home or Mordialloc for work, i'll pm you details

EF XR6 5spd 14.57@97mph
154rwkwts

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Like any gasket, the metal ones cant be reused. The bulges on them flatten when you tighten what ever it is down.

I also have a spare paper one at home if you want Phong. Its hanging on the wall ready for throw out at the next garage clean up. Let me know if you want it.

It may be the cause of all your problems too. If there is a leak, the vaccum will be low causing the car to run like s**t.

And did you check to see of the heater tap vaccum hose is connected? It can cause a noticeable hiss from the area you are describing.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Like any gasket, the metal ones cant be reused. The bulges on them flatten when you tighten what ever it is down.

I also have a spare paper one at home if you want Phong. Its hanging on the wall ready for throw out at the next garage clean up. Let me know if you want it.

It may be the cause of all your problems too. If there is a leak, the vaccum will be low causing the car to run like s**t.

And did you check to see of the heater tap vaccum hose is connected? It can cause a noticeable hiss from the area you are describing.

Yeah I noticed the notches were gone, but put it in due to no time. I might just take you up on that Adrian. It runs pretty crappy down low and I think it's because of a vacuum leak. So I'll give you a yell if I can come down over the long weekend. Heater tap vacuum hose...would that be the little vacuum hose that attaches to like a diaphragm thingy like a regulator? That vacuum hose is connected...but I might just get some tape and tape it around the inside of the regulator looking thing to make the end a bit wider, the hose seems a bit loose on it so might cause a bit of trouble.

Looks like another busy week for me in the rain. Got my clutch as well so hopefully I can get that in this weekend...and flywheel machined :?

phong =P~

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Okies I just put the new Plenum gasket in and it hasn't changed anything. Hissing is still there and car still runs funny below 2000RPM. I have come to the conclusion that the hissing sound may just be normal...since fuel eco is pretty good and power is not really lost that much.

I will eventually find it...just hopefully some time soon lol.

phong =P~

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

dude

get some small diam hose ie retic sprinkler hose
about 1mtre should do

place 1 end in ear and then probe theother end around the area of the noise when u get to the leak u can hear it clear as day!

could even be loose bolts holding the intake manifold in!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I still think its the air rushing through your intake pipe when it hits a bend.

But offer is still open for an ignition timing and cam timing check this week. You just have to provide dinner ;)

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:32 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
I still think its the air rushing through your intake pipe when it hits a bend.

But offer is still open for an ignition timing and cam timing check this week. You just have to provide dinner ;)

Dinner aye ;) I like the sound of that. Yeah I will give you a ring about the timing thing. Thanks for the offer.

phong =P~

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Well, dropped by arm79's place and got my car checked out...after some mucking around and finding out that the timing was out by a couple of degrees we figured it was time to find that damn leak.

arm79 with his keen eyes and "intelligence" managed to pick up my stupid mistake of a lifetime which will stick with me for a bloody long time...if not forever.

I had mistakenly, due to the rush of putting the engine back together, placed the rear intake manifold gasket in the wrong way...thus having the injectors blocked (we still can't understand how the hell the car ran) and having the holes that were meant to be for injector ports make a nice gap for lots of vacuum to come out...

After an hour of mucking about we turned the gasket over and now the car runs fine. So my boo boo has caused many problems along the way lol.

I'll never forget this problem and make sure things go in the right way lol.

Thanks for all those who helped, and thanks arm79 for the physical help :wink:

phong =P~

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]