Fordmods Logo

Bearing oil clearance, ef using 7m2158hx 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Bearing oil clearance, ef using 7m2158hx
Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

hello i am rebuilding my ef , you can see the progress in the garage under chris's turbo rebuild log

im about to bolt the crank in , i have a balanced and polished std crank and 7M2158HX-STD bearings
http://www.aclperformance.com.au/FordL6250ciBearings.htm

they are the ones with the + 0.001" Extra oil clearance, my first question is + 0.001", does it mean 0.001" smaller on the bearing surface or larger,

As the for oil clearance
In a gregorys it says 0.02mm-0.04mm for the mains, with a limit of 0.06 same as big ends

with the extra 0.001 from the bearings
0.001 inch = 0.0254 millimeter

so it could theoretically hit 0.0850 oil clearance, does anybody have experience into whats the absolute max, also im running a balanced crank with a high-volume oilpump

am i going to loose oil pressure or should i just use a thicker oil??? im after a high reveable engine..

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Post subject: Re: Bearing oil clearance, ef using 7m2158hx
Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Shifteh wrote:
hello i am rebuilding my ef , you can see the progress in the garage under chris's turbo rebuild log

im about to bolt the crank in , i have a balanced and polished std crank and 7M2158HX-STD bearings
http://www.aclperformance.com.au/FordL6250ciBearings.htm

they are the ones with the + 0.001" Extra oil clearance, my first question is + 0.001", does it mean 0.001" smaller on the bearing surface or larger,

As the for oil clearance
In a gregorys it says 0.02mm-0.04mm for the mains, with a limit of 0.06 same as big ends

with the extra 0.001 from the bearings
0.001 inch = 0.0254 millimeter

so it could theoretically hit 0.0850 oil clearance, does anybody have experience into whats the absolute max, also im running a balanced crank with a high-volume oilpump

am i going to loose oil pressure or should i just use a thicker oil??? im after a high reveable engine..

get hold of sum plasi gauge,the rubber strip flatens when you tighten the bearings and you measure the clearance on the paper strip,with no oil in the bearings.+1 is plus over standard,but you dont know what you have with out measureing,so plasi gauge-easy.if the bearings are loose you will loose a lot of oil of the crank bearings,if tight you will flood the top end,doesnt help much but aim for .02-.04 as the rotating assembly will settle in,make sure it turns by hand-crank,the piston assembly will have the rings as resistance,oil everything well.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

so whats really the go for performance, tighter or loose and whats the drawbacks and advantages, i have plastigauge

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Shifteh wrote:
so whats really the go for performance, tighter or loose and whats the drawbacks and advantages, i have plastigauge

how do you want to drive it? race ----1000 ks and rebuild---larger clearances,stock-and play tighter and use new bolts,will last.did you balance the whole crank assembly,balancer,flywheel,flex plate,as 1 unit?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

0.002" big ends and 0.0025" for the mains and use 10W40 or 0W40 synthetic oil.

And stop guessing, measure the bearings with an inside micrometer and the journal with an outside micrometer, If you can't do it get a machine shop to do it.

You need to get 10thou undersized bearings fit them to each rod measure each bearing and grind each journal to suit the bearing that will run on it.

Other wise you not building a performance engine, all you'll be doing is building a Jesus engine. (bolt it together and pray)

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

i had the whole crank assembly balanced, balancer, crank and flexplate

. im after an a-b and some power, it will be running turbo a few months after its rebuilt to run it in

Quote:
0.002" big ends and 0.0025" for the mains and use 10W40 or 0W40 synthetic oil.

And stop guessing, measure the bearings with an inside micrometer and the journal with an outside micrometer, If you can't do it get a machine shop to do it.

You need to get 10thou undersized bearings fit them to each rod measure each bearing and grind each journal to suit the bearing that will run on it.

Other wise you not building a performance engine, all you'll be doing is building a Jesus engine. (bolt it together and pray)

would this be for a drive 1000kms and rebuild engine?

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

No. That would be good for 1000hp and more kms than both of my cars put together before you have to rebuild it. What do you think the clearances were on his 9 second 1000hp XD? Loose as a hookers proverbial? I think not.
Alright, 1.9 million kms all up might be a gross exageration but you get the picture. It won't be a 1 run hand grenade, that's for sure.

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

You use the right oil and have agood tune and you'll never have a bear issue.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ok so i mesured it up,, 0.074mm oil clearance on the mains,,

will this work, i have a high volume oil pump, balanced assembly crank??? any ideas

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

will it work for what? what oil are you going to use, what oil pressure
and how many bearings did you measure? I doubt very much that they all measured the same.

Buy some 10thou under bearings and have the crank ground to suit.
bearings and machining are cheap now. After it all turns to s**t building it again will not be so cheap.

the general starting point is 0.001" for every inch of journal. from that you add and subtract according to type of oil, intended use for the engine, peak RPM ect.

unless you are building something very high powered with alot of RPM, just stick with 0.0025 mains and 0.0020 for big ends.
the conversion from MM to inches is mm/25.4

If you are building high revs and high power, your machinist should be doing this for you.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

that mesurement was for number 7

i plastigauged number 6 and got around 0.055, around there i noticed in the manual it says 85nm for the bolts but in the touqe section it says 81-95, so i tryed 95 on the 7th cap and got a reading of around 0.055-60 which is in spec , only just

is it acceptabe to have differant tourqe settings over the main caps??

im not sure what the oil pressure is going to be like untill i fire it up lol

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Shifteh wrote:
that mesurement was for number 7

i plastigauged number 6 and got around 0.055, around there i noticed in the manual it says 85nm for the bolts but in the touqe section it says 81-95, so i tryed 95 on the 7th cap and got a reading of around 0.055-60 which is in spec , only just

is it acceptabe to have differant tourqe settings over the main caps??

im not sure what the oil pressure is going to be like untill i fire it up lol

use the same torque on all the mains,and the same with the rod caps.i think you had better get the crank measured by a machine--engine reconditioner,as it can be tapered and oval,they will give you the right bearings to fit the crank,or grind it and supply bearings to suit your build.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sheeze mate the questions your asking are a real worry !!!
Torque on bolts etc includes bolt stretch etc
Once cap is basically closed .. Torquing tighter won't make any difference...
You can't get any closer than closed caps..
You've been given the correct info above...
On good engines I fit forged rods, pistons ...
I measure crank for out of round. If good I just linish crank for slightly extra clearance..
Also just use WD40 to assemble rings so they bed in good...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ok so ive swapped lower caps around, checked and checked again 7 hours of checking and heres what ive got

Main 7 = 0.050
main 6 = 0.050
main T= 0.055
main 4=0.050
main 3= 0.052
main 2=0.050
main 1=0.055

+-=5-8,

im probally going to stick with thease,, as i cant really be stuffed sending the crank for machining,,

i can pull the engine back out if i need to in the future so ill experiment with this oil clearance

should the big ends be smaller, same size, larger clearance for oil so not to incur a restriction???

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Shifteh wrote:
ok so ive swapped lower caps around, checked and checked again 7 hours of checking and heres what ive got

Main 7 = 0.050
main 6 = 0.050
main T= 0.055
main 4=0.050
main 3= 0.052
main 2=0.050
main 1=0.055

+-=5-8,

im probally going to stick with thease,, as i cant really be stuffed sending the crank for machining,,

i can pull the engine back out if i need to in the future so ill experiment with this oil clearance

should the big ends be smaller, same size, larger clearance for oil so not to incur a restriction???

when you say you swapped the caps around,how? as they are numbered 1-7 and line bored to size,this doesnt mean that they are on centre--they are close.those sizes will be close,dont swap the rod caps,unless you resize them.use the same clearance-.05.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next