Fordmods Logo

best coolant 

Page 3 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: best coolant
Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:58 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
What mixture ratio do yous run with nulon concentrate?

Me personally i use 50 \ 50 mix. :P

Gab1 wrote:
You guys are all gonna bag the crap out of me, but I"ve been running nothing but WATER in my cars for years. As long as you change it OFTEN, and keep the level good, I've never had an issue, I've always generally had a minor water leak though, I think when I seal all my water leaks, I'll run coolant, but with plenty of changes and flushes, I've had no issues running WATER.

Cheers, Gab

If you want to use water i respect your choice but ive always been taught to use coolant with the right mix. :)

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

93EB wrote:
Gab1 wrote:
You guys are all gonna bag the crap out of me, but I"ve been running nothing but WATER in my cars for years. As long as you change it OFTEN, and keep the level good, I've never had an issue, I've always generally had a minor water leak though, I think when I seal all my water leaks, I'll run coolant, but with plenty of changes and flushes, I've had no issues running WATER.

Cheers, Gab

If you want to use water i respect your choice but ive always been taught to use coolant with the right mix. :)

as have i... altho i used tectalloy 30 years ago in a mostly iron block [yeah i know] with not a problem - alloy was clean as

Gab - do you flush often? [sediment]

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

I flush it every time it looks dirty - Keeping in mind that I look under my bonnet EVERY time I drive my car - But I'd prefer to run coolant - it's just I haven't had enough funds to make everything "spot on" yet, so I've just been very careful to run CLEAN water in my cooling system, and it's been ok. Mind you, I now have iron heads and an iron block (5.0 Litre) but i've done it in alloy head cars too and it's been alright. I don't recommend it, but it's been ok.

Cheers, Gab

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Dont some cars need coolant as it also lubricates the water pump? Just a thought

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
Dont some cars need coolant as it also lubricates the water pump? Just a thought

Yeap

I would suggest to Gab , to run a few drops of redline water wetter , or if someone here could provide a household alternative that would be even better for a budget

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:13 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

no.. the water pump is a sealed bearing unit, coolant don't lubricate it.. the only problem I see from just running water is corrosion and electrolysis..

you don't have to run coolant, but its best to at least add anti corrosion inhibitor to the water..

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
no.. the water pump is a sealed bearing unit, coolant don't lubricate it.. the only problem I see from just running water is corrosion and electrolysis..

you don't have to run coolant, but its best to at least add anti corrosion inhibitor to the water..

ahh ok never knew that must be a big myth then coolant provide water pump bearing lubricant

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

ahh ok never knew that must be a big myth then coolant provide water pump bearing lubricant

whaaat the fraack...... your kidding me right??? :roll:

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

One of the first jobs a new inhibitor does is to coat all the metal surfaces in the cooling system, and what is left over is the residual alkalinity.......this runs out over time....cheap coolant runs out sooner than quality coolant.
Therefore, if/when you change/flush the cooling system and you don't know what was in it before, run a chemical cooling system flush through it.....the one I like to use is the Loctite brand one.....this removes most of the old coating from the previous coolant.

The inhibitor I run is Repco Inhibitor Concentrate ( 1 bottle makes 10 litres ), so I use 2 bottles, and change it every 2 years, and haven't had a headgasket, or any other gasket, or water pump problems.
It doesn't get cold here, so no need for anti-freeze here, but is does get hot, and I haven't had overheating issues, even when towing another car.

It's up to you as to what coolant you want to run, but the coolant must have at least 900 grams per litre of Glycol to be any good.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

I've always used Tectaloy Gold with mine. A bottle mixed with distilled water.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Repco Anti freeze, anti boil is 1060 gm/litre of Ethylene Glycol.....minimum mix is 33% for old school, and 50% for newer stuff.

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

you can also get glycol free inhibitor which is what track cars run without heating issues. Glycol is banned in racing due to it's 'oily coating' abilities. I understand this isn't relevant for street cars but it helps my point:

The working pressure increases boiling point more than the glycol does. If I remember correctly for every 15psi you get a 10 degree increase in boiling temp. Glycol actually retards the coolants ability to purge heat, so in some cases makes heating problems worse. If you feel the need to run a glycol based coolant then a properly functioning cooling system should still only need what the manufacturer specifies which in all my fords is 33%. (check your own specific requirements)

Adding more glycol just becomes counter-productive in most parts of this country.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
you can also get glycol free inhibitor which is what track cars run without heating issues. Glycol is banned in racing due to it's 'oily coating' abilities. I understand this isn't relevant for street cars but it helps my point:

The working pressure increases boiling point more than the glycol does. If I remember correctly for every 15psi you get a 10 degree increase in boiling temp. Glycol actually retards the coolants ability to purge heat, so in some cases makes heating problems worse. If you feel the need to run a glycol based coolant then a properly functioning cooling system should still only need what the manufacturer specifies which in all my fords is 33%. (check your own specific requirements)

Adding more glycol just becomes counter-productive in most parts of this country.

The point at which there is too much Glycol is 68%....what it doesn't do above that mixture is pass the heat from block to coolant to radiator...as was my understanding when I did a Wynns school about 20 years ago.
Since then, there is OAT and HAT type coolants.....none of which I like.
I concider 33% mix to be a cheap skates way......50%....lasts longer too.
Thats just me though.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:

whist you are correct, the bearing is sealed, some cars (Ford LS/LT/LW Focus comes to mind) suffer from noisy water pumps if the coolant is incorrect. I believe it is the seal that needs the lubrication of the glycol.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

xpression wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

whist you are correct, the bearing is sealed, some cars (Ford LS/LT/LW Focus comes to mind) suffer from noisy water pumps if the coolant is incorrect. I believe it is the seal that needs the lubrication of the glycol.

Yep, the ceramic seal still needs lube.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next