Difilippo 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 104

Post subject: Re: xr6
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
So would we all agree on that pacemaker have the best quality and built extractor on the market?

i heard defilipo are the best, but i have never seen a set. my 4480's do well but i'd like a little more low down. however i dont thing the xtractors are at fault

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Post subject: Re: xr6
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
MICKYYYY wrote:
So would we all agree on that pacemaker have the best quality and built extractor on the market?

i heard defilipo are the best, but i have never seen a set. my 4480's do well but i'd like a little more low down. however i dont thing the xtractors are at fault

Hey fiftyone did you get around yet to check your base ign timing yet. short pins, wait approx 2mins, engine stumbles, now check your timing.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

na, dont have a light now. its kind of pissing me off a little. going to try the fuel pump first tho

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Its common sense isnt it, if you want more low down torque then get a set of extractors that will impede top end flow.
You cant have good bottom end and top end you have to work out what is more important to you.
I fitted a set of extractors to my ef and noticed the bottom end loss instantly and they were a no name brand with mandrel bends, the guy who sold them to me said they were motivator.I have since heard that motivator extractors are press bent so who knows.
I would say get a set of press bent extractors for better bottom end, i had press bent extractors on my crossflow and it still made 200bhp easily and pulled hard to 5500 rpm.
Now i bet this is a spanner in the works :D
My ef pulled harder off the mark with just the stock exhaust manifold and a 2.5 zorst, its good once it gets going but i really miss the low down punch.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

green car wrote:
Now i bet this is a spanner in the works :D

tempted.

but if after all the explaining i've done on this topic over the years hasn't gotten through to anyone yet, well i guess it's just pointless to go over it again.

there is enough info in this thread for mickyyyy to work out what he needs.

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

I like the finishes on the pacemaker and the hi tech ones.

On some of my previous cars i have only fitted hi tech or pacemaker's.

At the moment i have a set of hi tech extractors to go on to my ed,but before i put them on i will be modifying the length of the extractors by lengthining them to help promote better low down torque.Also moving the cat back near the rear of the transmission.

Genie arent bad at all i had a set of these that were on my old ED xr6 but were only really helpfull mid to high rpm.But being a manual didnt both it too much.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Post subject: extractors
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6

Ive read alot of posts and everyone seemed to talk about out right hp and mid to top end power and thats why i havent had a clear answer to bottem to mid end power/torque.

But thank you for clearing it up for me :D

Im going to do some research and post what i find out so give me a few days

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It would be good to get an exhaust shop to do some tests on the 4.0L with a whole bunch of different extractors on the dyno. I really dont think there would be a big difference between all of them aslong as they are mandrel bent, they should work fine.

I you are talking about Pacemakers the 4499 and 4480's, the 4480 has more torque and power over the whole the rev range according to Pacemaker if you call them.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

if you want peak power at granny revs, then keep the stock cam, stock exhaust and be thankful its quiet, drives like stock, good on fuel, and saves you spending $$$

if you want more power & torque outright, then its worth debating things like this...

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

also if your just looking for downlow a 2 1/4" exhaust would probly be best for low down power with some good extractors.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Post subject: exhaust
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

whats the standard size pipe on EF/EL falcons and XR6's?

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: exhaust
Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
whats the standard size pipe on EF/EL falcons and XR6's?

Stock EF/EL's got 2.25inch pipe.

Stock xr6 EF/EL's got 2.5in pipe after cat to main muffler, then stock 2.25in tail pipe.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FordFairmont wrote:
if you want peak power at granny revs, then keep the stock cam, stock exhaust and be thankful its quiet, drives like stock, good on fuel, and saves you spending $$$

if you want more power & torque outright, then its worth debating things like this...

I thought about how to reply to this for a while.
It occurred to me that you don't really understand what he is trying to achieve.
That sort of thinking is what he's trying to get away from by starting this thread.

When he says most of his driving is between idle and 2500rpm, he's not stating that he drives full throttle to 2500rpm all the time. So he isn't looking for 'peak power at granny revs'

All he is trying to do is improve part throttle low rpm torque.

why is it that when ever someone starts thinking a little left of field, every one jumps down their throat.

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:

It occurred to me that you don't really understand what he is trying to achieve.
That sort of thinking is what he's trying to get away from by starting this thread.

When he says most of his driving is between idle and 2500rpm, he's not stating that he drives full throttle to 2500rpm all the time. So he isn't looking for 'peak power at granny revs'

why is it that when ever someone starts thinking a little left of field, every one jumps down their throat.

Why is that?
I suggested a more restrictive set of extractors as compared to the ones he has on the car now, which would improve lown down torque which funnily enough is what he wants.
Im thinking outside the usual 4.0 fordmods square, but a common sense square nonetheless and you seem to think i am wrong and dont have an understanding.
Care to explain how i am wrong.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

green car wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:

Why is that?
I suggested a more restrictive set of extractors as compared to the ones he has on the car now, which would improve lown down torque which funnily enough is what he wants.
Im thinking outside the usual 4.0 fordmods square, but a common sense square nonetheless and you seem to think i am wrong and dont have an understanding.
Care to explain how i am wrong.

Because restrictive is wrong.
The restriction is the by-product not the goal.

A restrictive set of extractors with too short of a primary pipe will only serve to kill power every were.
the problem is people thinking of exhaust tuning in term of pressure/restriction only.
What's important is pulse tuning and velocity. Restriction/Pressure at 'X' rpm is a by-product of having the system tuned for 'Y' rpm.

and so, by simply saying you need something that restricts at high rpm, is wrong. If the pipe length on that restrictive set of extractors is not right for what he wants, the extractors want work for him.

What you want is a pipe of sufficient length to get the right pulse tuning and of sufficient ID to support the flow needs in the intended RPM band.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 8  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next