Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
green car wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
if you want peak power at granny revs, then keep the stock cam, stock exhaust and be thankful its quiet, drives like stock, good on fuel, and saves you spending $$$

if you want more power & torque outright, then its worth debating things like this...

I thought about how to reply to this for a while.
It occurred to me that you don't really understand what he is trying to achieve.
That sort of thinking is what he's trying to get away from by starting this thread.

When he says most of his driving is between idle and 2500rpm, he's not stating that he drives full throttle to 2500rpm all the time. So he isn't looking for 'peak power at granny revs'

All he is trying to do is improve part throttle low rpm torque.

why is it that when ever someone starts thinking a little left of field, every one jumps down their throat.

Why is that?
I suggested a more restrictive set of extractors as compared to the ones he has on the car now, which would improve lown down torque which funnily enough is what he wants.
Im thinking outside the usual 4.0 fordmods square, but a common sense square nonetheless and you seem to think i am wrong and dont have an understanding.
Care to explain how i am wrong.

Because restrictive is wrong.
The restriction is the by-product not the goal.

A restrictive set of extractors with too short of a primary pipe will only serve to kill power every were.
the problem is people thinking of exhaust tuning in term of pressure/restriction only.
What's important is pulse tuning and velocity. Restriction/Pressure at 'X' rpm is a by-product of having the system tuned for 'Y' rpm.

and so, by simply saying you need something that restricts at high rpm, is wrong. If the pipe length on that restrictive set of extractors is not right for what he wants, the extractors want work for him.

What you want is a pipe of sufficient length to get the right pulse tuning and of sufficient ID to support the flow needs in the intended RPM band.

The only way to look at it as a restriction (referring to green car) is if your comparing them to extractors designed for upper rpm use, when extractors with narrow/long primaries will be a restriction up high.

But seeing as this is asking for low to midrange torque then extractors with (generally) thinner longer primaries will provide better results.

The stock headers for example are 'restrictive', but in no way beneficial to low-mid torque when compared to extractors designed for this.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Put some 3.7 diff geers in and that will fix the prob, unless you want to run pacemakers or difillipos or jmm headers you will never get anyone here to agree that your extractors affect low down torque because pacies are widely loved and noone has a bad word.
If you dont like the way your car feels then that is a good enough reason to change it to the way you like it i say.
In the days of double demerits and speed cameras who needs a rig that screams all the way to redline anyhow.
Good luck fixing the prob, probably easier to call up a decent zorst shop.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

green car wrote:
unless you want to run pacemakers or difillipos or jmm headers you will never get anyone here to agree that your extractors affect low down torque because pacies are widely loved and noone has a bad word.

Are you trying to say you can't get extractors to perform better downlow than the stock manifold? You obviously don't know what you are talking about, and before you take this as a personal insult remember you have suggested a) to fit restrictive system (a very general and naive statement)and b) to fit 3.7 diff gears in a thread about headers.

The brands above would be given as recommendations as they are generally regarded as the best 'off the shelf' header system for falcons and among the only mandrel bent options. I can see where you're coming from with many one eyed visions based on brand name, but these systems do work for their designated purposes. Obviously a custom set of headers will flow better in whatever part of the rev range they are designed for, but how many people know enough about header design to build or trust an exhaust place to build what you want?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yes i am saying that my car had more lowdown torque with the stock manifold,i never said it didnt gain mid and high range with the extractors i just said it had better low down torque.
Yes i am a mechanic and understand how a motor works.
You obviously misundertstood what i said, i never said the standard manifold was better thean headers i said to get a restrictive set of headers and it would have more low down torque than the set of pacies being currently used.
My understanding is that more lowdown torque is wanted, i never saw mid range or top end performance even mentioned in this thread by the thread starter.
Any engine builder will tell you if you want bottom end, you must sacrifice top end power.
I think you guys dont like what i am saying so you are trying to pick my theory to bits because i go against the grain.
If the guy wants to live life at under 2500rpm then there must be some sort of backpressure-restriction to keep that low down grunt alive, i didnt even notice the difference my extractors made until i was doing at least 3000-3500rpm and that is too late in this instance.
Low down, not midrange, not top end. low down.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

green car wrote:
Put some 3.7 diff geers in and that will fix the prob, unless you want to run pacemakers or difillipos or jmm headers you will never get anyone here to agree that your extractors affect low down torque because pacies are widely loved and noone has a bad word.
If you dont like the way your car feels then that is a good enough reason to change it to the way you like it i say.
In the days of double demerits and speed cameras who needs a rig that screams all the way to redline anyhow.
Good luck fixing the prob, probably easier to call up a decent zorst shop.

installing 3.7:1 diff gears doesn't achieve the same thing. all it does is make the engine rev higher for a given road speed.
and it certainly won't fix the problem.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

How can having a car accelerating faster off the mark not help help with a lack of low down power, it compensates for it obviously because the car in question isnt pokey enough down low.
Im done now at flogging this dead horse, so much for being able to think out of the square- bloody hypocrits.
Now i want a ten page essay on how diff gears wont make a car more enjoyable-pokey under 2500 rpm.
Have a nice day :evil:

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

green car wrote:
Yes i am saying that my car had more lowdown torque with the stock manifold,i never said it didnt gain mid and high range with the extractors i just said it had better low down torque.
You obviously misundertstood what i said, i never said the standard manifold was better thean headers i said to get a restrictive set of headers and it would have more low down torque than the set of pacies being currently used.
My understanding is that more lowdown torque is wanted, i never saw mid range or top end performance even mentioned in this thread by the thread starter.
Any engine builder will tell you if you want bottom end, you must sacrifice top end power.
I think you guys dont like what i am saying so you are trying to pick my theory to bits because i go against the grain.
If the guy wants to live life at under 2500rpm then there must be some sort of backpressure-restriction to keep that low down grunt alive, i didnt even notice the difference my extractors made until i was doing at least 3000-3500rpm and that is too late in this instance.

Do you come standard with a brickwall?
because beating myself to death on it would be easier then trying to explain this to you.

You're a mechanic. SO WHAT. A RESTRICTIVE SYSTEM OF THE WRONG DESIGN WONT WORK. RESTRICTION IS NOT THE AIM.

There mey well be some restriction in the system, thats not the argument.
My problem with what are saying is you make no mention of what it takes to design a set of extractors the help low rpm torque. that being the correct pipe lengths and pipe sizes that complement that length for the desired result.

The next point is, a well designed extractor for low rpm power would still at least equal the top end power of the stock manifold.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

green car wrote:

Firstly, backpressure creating low down torque or grunt as it has been so eloquently put is a myth aka s**t.

The stock manifold is a piece of s**t, period. Obviously you had a set of headers designed for mid to upper rpm use, however this would still have negligable difference down low unless it had obscenely large primaries.

If you want low down torque, then get a set of extractors designed for low down torque as has been said atleast half a dozen times in this thread. They will s**t all over the factory manifold down low and most likely throughout the rev range too.

You don't design extractors to be restrictive, as has been said probably 5 or 6 times now in this thread restricion at higher rpm is a by product of getting extractors designed for low rpm's. When designing a system you don't go out and try and design a restrictive sytem, its designed as a best trade off between exhaust flow within and outside of the desired maximum torque rev range

As tickford said earlier, if using an off the shelf system look for a system with the narrowest and longest primaries but still with mandrel bends.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

green car wrote:
How can having a car accelerating faster off the mark not help help with a lack of low down power, it compensates for it obviously because the car in question isnt pokey enough down low.
Im done now at flogging this dead horse, so much for being able to think out of the square- bloody hypocrits.
Now i want a ten page essay on how diff gears wont make a car more enjoyable-pokey under 2500 rpm.
Have a nice day :evil:

no one said changing diff gears wont make it 'pocky' off the mark.

it's that changing the diff gears brings on a whole bunch of new problems.

the question about extractors. how is posting about diff gears answering the question?

nothing you have posted has helped anyone. all you've done is help make people dumber

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

skidder wrote:
green car wrote:

Firstly, backpressure creating low down torque or grunt as it has been so eloquently put is a myth aka s**t.

The stock manifold is a piece of s**t, period. Obviously you had a set of headers designed for mid to upper rpm use, however this would still have negligable difference down low unless it had obscenely large primaries.

If you want low down torque, then get a set of extractors designed for low down torque as has been said atleast half a dozen times in this thread. They will s**t all over the factory manifold down low and most likely throughout the rev range too.

You don't design extractors to be restrictive, as has been said probably 5 or 6 times now in this thread restricion at higher rpm is a by product of getting extractors designed for low rpm's. When designing a system you don't go out and try and design a restrictive sytem, its designed as a best trade off between exhaust flow within and outside of the desired maximum torque rev range

As tickford said earlier, if using an off the shelf system look for a system with the narrowest and longest primaries but still with mandrel bends.

I like it when people who have a clue make posts.
:)

Post subject: Re: exhaust
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
MICKYYYY wrote:
whats the standard size pipe on EF/EL falcons and XR6's?

Stock EF/EL's got 2.25inch pipe.

Stock xr6 EF/EL's got 2.5in pipe after cat to main muffler, then stock 2.25in tail pipe.

Dunno if its been mentioned, but both are press bent exhausts.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
I like it when people who have a clue make posts.
:)

haha, not that you hadn't said pretty much the same thing in this thread and the five others going around at the moment.

Contemplating making a sticky about this kinda thing, but then again the sticky's never seem to get looked at anyway. That and by the time most people get past the second line they won't wanna read on unless is says "this is the right header for you" :roll:

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

http://www.headerdesign.com/ if it was me i would be looking at this and then pick i have not read all this thread sorry if it already have been answered

Post subject: Re: Best extractors for low down power torque for EL
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I know this is old but i thought id update it just in case i can help anyone as i spoke to my exhaust shop and its true that using a 38mm primary will work best for low end power and torque and apparently press bent helps with torque.

So extractors with 38mm primary are made by Wildcat, Hi tech and this dude on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-EA-EL-AU-BA ... 7C294%3A50

Now for pacemaker 4499 equvilent/copy is another dude on ebay and has his own website and there practically the same and u save urself over $100.00 when buying his

http://www.dkne.com.au/ford-falcon-6cyl ... p-235.html

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: Best extractors for low down power torque for EL
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

wildcats are renowned for their torque band down low. they will strangle you up top more than a set of pacemakers, but still flow better than the factory manifold.

a set of diff gears (3.45 or higher) will give you more of a torque feel though, as the long first and second coupled with a 3.08 stock diff is what makes it struggle down low.

enough isn't enough

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 8  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next