Total votes : 104

Post subject: Re: Best extractors for low down power torque for EL
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Quality is alright, not even close to Pacies but you get what you pay for. I have modified them, I cut them apart where the primary collectors join the secondary pipe, the secondary pipe protruded to far into the collector, didnt do pipe over cone but improved it heaps. I am also looking at replacing the secondary pipes with longer sections like the JMM race series just havent got around to it yet.

Attachments:
DSC02973.JPG
DSC02973.JPG [ 58.76 KiB | Viewed 179 times ]

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So when u done that mod what difference did you notice???

Also what rpm range has this extractor helped in power and torque???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

WagonDad wrote:
Quality is alright, not even close to Pacies but you get what you pay for. I have modified them, I cut them apart where the primary collectors join the secondary pipe, the secondary pipe protruded to far into the collector, didnt do pipe over cone but improved it heaps. I am also looking at replacing the secondary pipes with longer sections like the JMM race series just havent got around to it yet.

Out of curiousity, have you a figure in mind for how much longer you intend to make them?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

its funny how 79% have indicated pacemaker, when only the old not sold anymore 38mm units would even be considered for this application.

I was lucky to find a set of 38mm 4480's in good nick second hand, but its getting harder as older units crap themselves and are resigned to the scrapheap.

its just misleading when 79% vote pacemaker. its such a brand thing for most of this 79%. This is why you have to watch what you read on here, and listen to guys who know, like ticky. always there with a good straight answer.

a new member might open this thread, look at the vote, and there we have another miss-informed individual.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
I know this is old but i thought id update it just in case i can help anyone as i spoke to my exhaust shop and its true that using a 38mm primary will work best for low end power and torque and apparently press bent helps with torque.

So extractors with 38mm primary are made by Wildcat, Hi tech and this dude on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-EA-EL-AU-BA ... 7C294%3A50

Now for pacemaker 4499 equvilent/copy is another dude on ebay and has his own website and there practically the same and u save urself over $100.00 when buying his

http://www.dkne.com.au/ford-falcon-6cyl ... p-235.html

Am I right in thinking that the extractors pictured in both the links above - AND the ones pictured by Wagondad all look very similar??

Mine look like all these (closest to the dkne link ones at pinch I guess) and have 38mm primaries and are Pacemaker - would that make them old 4499's or old Pacemaker comps? When I had them fitted it was by a Muffler shop that was right into the local sprint car competition - using EA/EB 6cyl Falcons - and I was told they were "Race Series" (they replaced some Genies which were 2-3-1 that had cracked) and the improvement to overall power and response right from off idle was huge. I never noticed any change in the car from std manifold when the Genies were fitted.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
MICKYYYY wrote:
I know this is old but i thought id update it just in case i can help anyone as i spoke to my exhaust shop and its true that using a 38mm primary will work best for low end power and torque and apparently press bent helps with torque.

So extractors with 38mm primary are made by Wildcat, Hi tech and this dude on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-EA-EL-AU-BA ... 7C294%3A50

Now for pacemaker 4499 equvilent/copy is another dude on ebay and has his own website and there practically the same and u save urself over $100.00 when buying his

http://www.dkne.com.au/ford-falcon-6cyl ... p-235.html

Am I right in thinking that the extractors pictured in both the links above - AND the ones pictured by Wagondad all look very similar??

Mine look like all these (closest to the dkne link ones at pinch I guess) and have 38mm primaries and are Pacemaker - would that make them old 4499's or old Pacemaker comps? When I had them fitted it was by a Muffler shop that was right into the local sprint car competition - using EA/EB 6cyl Falcons - and I was told they were "Race Series" (they replaced some Genies which were 2-3-1 that had cracked) and the improvement to overall power and response right from off idle was huge. I never noticed any change in the car from std manifold when the Genies were fitted.

I don't know if 4499's used to be 38mm? Regardless, 4480's are 6-3-1 and 4499's are 6-2-1.

Grimketel wrote:
its funny how 79% have indicated pacemaker, when only the old not sold anymore 38mm units would even be considered for this application.

I'm guessing most just voted for what they have; which of c o a r s e (wouldn't let me type it without spaces) are the all in 1 answer header.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Grimketel is right is saying that just from a voting poll it can be missleading but if u take the time to read through the thread then it comes up with some very good information just like in this thread.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I've had HM, pacies and genies.. and to be honest, I sold the others and kept the genies...
They are not turned length, so a fatter but less peaked powerband is the result, which is good because I'm not a peak rpm sort of guy....

They have a nice note, they don't take up all the space right up to the gas converter and they have a shiny chrome badge on them and they have 3 inch collectors, which is pretty good for i6 extractors and they tie in nicely with my 3 inch magnaflow cat.

Surprised genie wasn't on the list as most people who've have them like them...

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wildcat are made by genie :)

i loved my genies too, they were my first extractor, but they seem to suit a 3000rpm- redline.

forget what model they were but they were berserk above 3k.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Grimketel

What was the power and torque under 2500rpm with the genie extractors u had, im curiuos what extractor performs well from idel to 2500rpm as thats were most normal speed limit driving is done.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it was a EB2, when i first got in it- ill remember this always, as this was my first ever mod- I turned out of the exhaust shop LURVING the sound. I pedalled it slowly for a few minutes on the way home letting it warm up (and creaming my pants at the sound). then i had a left turn from a stop sign onto a nice 3 lane deserted straight road... so complete stop... and thought, this is it. test time.

I pulled out with the foot down, and for the first 2500 i thought that there was no difference, if anything my expectation of power (as my understanding of exhausts was nill at that point) made me feel like it was sluggish. but as it went through 2500-3000 my eyelids went very wide. it went from 3000 to redline quicker than it went from idle to 2500. i mean the tacho almost couldnt keep up. the way that thing revved over 3k... to be honest I think it was at the very least the same 0-2500. I think my expectation made it feel slower at that time, if you see what I mean.

dont know what model they were in the genie range, but they were definatly a mid-top end unit. Genie probably make a few different types, as well as the wildcats.

Personally Id get the wildcats. they do what you want, and are made by a company with a great rep.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

MICKYYYY, I did the mod to the 21x's before I fitted them, as for power/torque gains bottom end didn't suffer, mid range gained the most with some improvement in top end. skider, still pondering the secondary pipe length but it will be some where between 300mm to 450mm, this length isn't based on any science not yet any way.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So it looks as thou no aftermarket extractor has any benefot from idel to 2500rpm but there after they do, not good for me then LOL i dont thrash my daily driver hahaha

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

WagonDad wrote:
MICKYYYY, I did the mod to the 21x's before I fitted them, as for power/torque gains bottom end didn't suffer, mid range gained the most with some improvement in top end. skider, still pondering the secondary pipe length but it will be some where between 300mm to 450mm, this length isn't based on any science not yet any way.

Yeah, I actually don't mind your idea....haha, pretty drunk at the moment (tuesday = pay day; yay); will write something constructive regarding it when I am of better mindset.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
So it looks as thou no aftermarket extractor has any benefot from idel to 2500rpm but there after they do, not good for me then LOL i dont thrash my daily driver hahaha

As I said, my 4499 type with 38mm primaries made a NOTICEABLE improvement from 2000 right thru - main improvement was 2000 to 3500 but top end didn't suffer for it - felt no different to before in that respect which is interesting because from the descriptions I'd say my old ones were the Genies that others have said were good for top end.

This was in my old ED which was 5spd manual + JMM cam + EFXR6 Head and BBM all driven by ELXR6 ECU - the whole package went VERY well - ie. revved to limiter effortlessly and overall performance was pretty decent - could light up the tyres in the dry no sweat in first off the line with only a tiny bit of clutch slipping - and had to be real careful thru the 2500-3500 range when rolling in first because it WOULD break loose with too much pedal (made me wish I had traction control) - had to be careful right thru to 4th in the wet - in fact at 60kph in the wet in 4th gear (about 1700rpm) a press on the pedal would cause wheelspin - again I used to wish for traction control.

On one occasion I had a little tail chase from standing start up a gentle hill for a few hundred meters behind some fancy Lancer of some sort that had been a smart a*** ahead off me for a few blocks - ie. tearing away from lights only to have to stop at the next set etc. - he had body kit and big zorst that sounded tough but not overly loud. I slipped the clutch (without spinning) to make sure I kept with him on the initial takeoff then once we were rolling and I was up thru 2500 I pretty much kept up - but my rears were right on the edge - chirping constantly on irregularities without quite letting go - ie. I had to control traction with the accelerator and couldn't just flatten it. He gave up and ran right on the speed limit from then on.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 8  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next