Difilippo 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 104

Post subject: Re: Best extractors for low down power torque for EL
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I've got a set of pacey 4499's on my EB, bought them second hand for $150. Not sure what size the primaries are, but they make a very noticeable improvement, with the engine reving cleaner & quicker all the way thru the range, but you notice most of the gains above 3000rpm.

I did notice a fuel economy improvement as well, even when driving the car with a light right foot, so that could be a good reason to get extractors & a less restrictive exhaust.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Reading an article online and they had a set of JMM Scavengers, they measured the secondary pipes as 55cm and 69cm thats s**t loads long. I am thinking of extending the secondaries of my Wildcat 21x's to improve low down torque, any thoughts.

Attachments:
JMM extractors 2.jpg
JMM extractors 2.jpg [ 5.73 KiB | Viewed 1800 times ]

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

No idea but man those extractors are super long lol

I wonder how much difference they will make??? I dont see it making a huge difference

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I wouldn't go near that length for a street car, your cats efficiency would considerably suffer I would imagine (not sure of your views on this area?).

If just going for a general increase I would only increase the lenth 150-200mm, and try to imitate the Pacemaker cone over thing (ie a fancy name for common sense lol).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I have a set of Coby extractors which are a similar design to the ones you have pictured wagondad, they have long secondaries which basically takes up the space of the cat altogether and bolts right up to the flange on my exhaust. With my ones i didnt really notice much of an increase down low even with the longer secondaries, my experience was very much like Grimketel's experience with Genies on his EB, if anything it felt like i lost bottom end (but it actually pretty much the same as before) probably because i expected a bit too much but once it hits 2500-3000rpm it hammers up to the redline and felt like i had a top end cam or something lol.

These are my Coby ones, similar long secondary pipe concept, with a few differences in collector/cone design to the JMM extractors.

By the looks of it, those secondaries on the JMM Race Series ones are a bit longer than mine. So if you were to lengthen the secondaries, id probably remove the cat from the exhaust, extend the length of the secondaries to reach the flange on your current exhaust, then get the front of the exhaust cut back to fit the cat in before the exhaust so it'll all bolt back on together if that makes sense. Only difference is the cat will be further down the exhaust and like skidder mentioned it may affect the efficiency of the cat. Dont know if it'll work but those are my thoughts :P

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

KWIKXR, the primary collectors on those Coby's are the longest I have ever seen on a set of Ford six extractors, need to keep the Cat in the sytem so moving it back is the only option. My Wildcat secondaries measure about 200mm and 300mm so as they make the turn to level out they go straight into the collector, Im thinking along the line of skider and extending them around 200mm, again not based on sience but what seems to work for JMM and the hours of R&D they have done.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Agree with ya 100% mate, relocating the cat converter back a bit is the only way to go especially with rules and reg's regarding cats over in Aussie.

Lol about the comment regarding the Coby's, they definately are the longest collectors ive seen too, initially i thought that they might not work very well as the internal size inside the collectors would seem to be quite big. Funnily enough they seem to work well and i have no complaints with them at all.

Look forward to your progress regarding the modding of the wildcat's WagonDad. Would love to do the same to a set of pacemaker 4480's if i ever get my hands on a set

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Moving the cat back down the exhaust pipe would cause it to take a little longer to warm up, and they don't work so well when they are cold. But once the engine has been running for a couple mins it would be up to temp anyway.

It would be interesting to see some basic emissions tests with the cat in stock position & with it moved back a bit.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

Anyone got an opinion on the standard JMM headers? I have some (I think) in an EL I bought, but they're press bent so I'm strongly considering throwing my 4480's in.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

Grimketel wrote:
its funny how 79% have indicated pacemaker, when only the old not sold anymore 38mm units would even be considered for this application.

I was lucky to find a set of 38mm 4480's in good nick second hand, but its getting harder as older units crap themselves and are resigned to the scrapheap.

its just misleading when 79% vote pacemaker. its such a brand thing for most of this 79%. This is why you have to watch what you read on here, and listen to guys who know, like ticky. always there with a good straight answer.

a new member might open this thread, look at the vote, and there we have another miss-informed individual.

I went from old 4480's to new ones a couple years ago (they cracked). It was a noticeable step backwards as I wasn't running the kinda power to really notice any top end improvements compared to the bottom end loss. Having said that I wouldn't say the new ones bottom end is any worse than stock.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:35 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: el

hey guys didin't want to start a new thread.

I also have a EL on gas. Im also interested in low down power torque

I currently have a catback 2.5" redback system. Ive just got the rear res nothing else.

What extractors would you recommend? thanks.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

WagonDad wrote:
Reading an article online and they had a set of JMM Scavengers, they measured the secondary pipes as 55cm and 69cm thats s**t loads long. I am thinking of extending the secondaries of my Wildcat 21x's to improve low down torque, any thoughts.

I have thought about he same thing with my 4499 pacemakers extending the secondary pipes to where the cat back exhaust bolts on. If you look at all the 4l crossflow extractors they have very long secondaries, although no need to fit a cat...........

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon AUII XR6 HP

Power: 184 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i have a set of the jmm race series headers (only put them on last friday! :twisted: ) and they bolt straight up to a 2.5" exhaust system with out a cat (or modify exhaust to include cat) and they work brilliantly down low!!

184 rwkw with more to go!

Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Raptor1603 wrote:
i have a set of the jmm race series headers (only put them on last friday! :twisted: ) and they bolt straight up to a 2.5" exhaust system with out a cat (or modify exhaust to include cat) and they work brilliantly down low!!

I have just recently removed my 4499 (tri-y)pacemakers headers, there going to the exhaust shop to get the secondary's extended to where the cat back exhaust is fitted.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Keep us informed with the changes.

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 8  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next