Fordmods Logo

Best Intake for BA Falcon 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Best Intake for BA Falcon
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hi guys,

Im looking for a cold air intake kit to fit onto my BA XT. There are a couple around, was wondering which is best.

Most expensive of all is the Growler from SS inductions, apparently upto 16kw at the wheels! (yeah right) and it comes in at a massive $599.

Also from SS is the Big Mouth kit, has some fancy alumium scoops and will set you back $399.

From our friends at BPT, we have a bolt-on cold air kit, upto 12kw at the wheels and marginally cheaper than then Big Mouth at $385

JMM have a cold air kit as part of their famous DEV series and you can order it separately for $180. Includes a pod filter!

And finally we have Fordmods own BF Typhoon/XR snorkel combo which is avaliable from the good folks at FTG for $175.

So which one should I get? Obviously Im after the best performance for your buck.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Replace the pipe from the airbox to the throttle body ... this will net you the largest gains in performance ... there's a decent restriction through out this pipe section.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

I fitted the typhoon system that I bought for 180 inc postage from FTG (a sponsor on this board).

It's a duel intake system, with 2 big mouths. Installation instructions are in technical documents.

While I only have cat-back exhaust as my other mod, I didn't expect much.

Seems to actually make her a bit more responsive though.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The typhoon extra intake does make a difference indeed ... many owners swear by it.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeh, the typhoon airbox is great, wouldn't be worth forking out the extra cash for the SS stuff.

Mechan1k, what would be the best way of increasing the pipe size from box to intake and would a larger throttle body be mandatory for any increases with this trick?

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba falcon

WA, Australia

just went out and had a look at this pipe between the airbox and throttle body, couldnt see too well coz its getting dark but it seems to have a smaller pipe that comes out and goes nowhere? anyone know what this is about? would just a large pipe running from the airbox to the throttle body do the job ie big ricer intake pipe from supercheap?

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
Yeh, the typhoon airbox is great, wouldn't be worth forking out the extra cash for the SS stuff.

Mechan1k, what would be the best way of increasing the pipe size from box to intake and would a larger throttle body be mandatory for any increases with this trick?

Have a look at this thread ... yeah I know it's on AFF ... but decent info and pics included ... and what parts were used as well.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... ge=1&pp=25

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

I got a Typhon one, seems to make a little difference, gets more air in there anyway, without spending 100s.

Post subject: Re: Best Intake for BA Falcon
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

pla_inter wrote:
Hi guys,

Im looking for a cold air intake kit to fit onto my BA XT. There are a couple around, was wondering which is best.

Most expensive of all is the Growler from SS inductions, apparently upto 16kw at the wheels! (yeah right) and it comes in at a massive $599.

Also from SS is the Big Mouth kit, has some fancy alumium scoops and will set you back $399.

From our friends at BPT, we have a bolt-on cold air kit, upto 12kw at the wheels and marginally cheaper than then Big Mouth at $385

JMM have a cold air kit as part of their famous DEV series and you can order it separately for $180. Includes a pod filter!

And finally we have Fordmods own BF Typhoon/XR snorkel combo which is avaliable from the good folks at FTG for $175.

So which one should I get? Obviously Im after the best performance for your buck.

G & D Performance in Vic make a replacement airbox cold air system that feeds directly behind the passenger side headlight. it uses a pod style filter i think from K and N. i believe it retails for a bout 599 as well but it looks stock in the engine bay and i believe that helps if the cops pull u over. these days with antihoon laws, you never know what they'd do.

i am looking at getting it myself.

you can have a look at it here...

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... ht=typhoon

i have read articles that verify the area of highest pressure for an air intake is behind the headlights....i think it was an autoweb article with flow meter readings and all.

while the over radiator mounted air scoop is good, apparently it can choke up at full throttle which is what happened to the lexus ls400 they tested. apparently the 4.0 engine just sucked up too much.

perhaps that shows the failure of the ss inductions big mouth design and something cheaper and straight forward such as the typhoon replacement box going for i think 170 from FTG makes good bang for buck.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

On my brothers XR6T it came with the SS Induction snorkel when he bought it (second owner), he got a Typhoon 2nd CAI off eBay.com.au for $50.00 and has fitted that aswell.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Cant beat a Typhoon set up, for value, 600 bucks for a CAI, you gotta have rocks in your head, no matter how big the intake is, it can only draw as much as the engine can take, as a matter of fact, i reckon that to big would be worse.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
Cant beat a Typhoon set up, for value, 600 bucks for a CAI, you gotta have rocks in your head, no matter how big the intake is, it can only draw as much as the engine can take, as a matter of fact, i reckon that to big would be worse.

so true, you can get a good set of extractors, which have had alot more engineering and difficult to make, and some people are charging 600 for specially moulded plastic, what a joke. Typhoon intake FTW.

Also, mechkan, I looked at that intake pipe guide, however I asked the question to them about the need for a bigger throttle body as it would be in that case the weakest link. And nobody has answered my question properly. So if any1 can tell me gains would be improved without a bigger TB, please let me know.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

bowsaw wrote:

Hahaha I agree.

I cringe when I see someone spending that much money on an intake.

Also people who think a K&N filter is a performance upgrade. hah :/

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA MkII XR6

WA, Australia

I just called up for a few quotes on my ba xr6.
$600 for the growler system, or $390 for a new filter and 2nd snorkel mod...

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

lol i got my growler for $450 and that was from an exhaust shop and not online. You would be silly to pay retail price for it. As for a bigger TB i have asked a couple of tuners and they have all said not to worry about it as it does SFA!

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next