Fordmods Logo

BF Exhaust issues. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: BF Exhaust issues.
Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Falcon

QLD, Australia

At present i am currently looking at a exhaust for my 2007 xr6 (6 speed auto). I have been getting different stories from all the shops so i thought i would ask here.

I have a 2.5" Xforce catback on it at the moment but there is barely any noise so im looking at doing either the cat or a full system. We have been told that you have problems with the sensors on the cat due to it needing to be changed. Is this true? From what we have been told, after we get the system done we will need to get the computer re-done due to the engine light staying on?

Any help appreciated.

Post subject: Re: BF Exhaust issues.
Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:37 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

I dont know the exacts but yes there is a chance the engine light will come on with B series Falcons when the exhaust is changed. Could be something to do with a mod required for the oxy sensor.

The exact way of correcting the issue im not sure.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It's more turbos that have issues when new exhausts are put on a BF. It can alter the emissions levels the second oxy sensor is expecting. But mainly you are reducing back pressure which will cause boost issues the ECU can't control. Results in potentially blowing things up as the engine is running too lean.

Not so much an issue on a NA car. Worst case, its just another reason to get a tune.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

from bf 1 there has been the possibility of issues with the mil light coming on after exhaust mods. this is due to the o2 sensor getting readings outside what is normal, and so it reports it as an engine issue. to correct it you will need to get a tune, or have a program flashed in to clear the problem. (basically it will make the car think there is no second o2 sensor) i had this issue on my fg, but didnt have it on my ba. i have since been told that from the bf 1 the second o2 sensor was moved, which has caused the problem.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:55 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

fuzzball wrote:
At present i am currently looking at a exhaust for my 2007 xr6 (6 speed auto). I have been getting different stories from all the shops so i thought i would ask here.

I have a 2.5" Xforce catback on it at the moment but there is barely any noise so im looking at doing either the cat or a full system. We have been told that you have problems with the sensors on the cat due to it needing to be changed. Is this true? From what we have been told, after we get the system done we will need to get the computer re-done due to the engine light staying on?

Any help appreciated.

I have a X-Force AU live axle sports exhaust( 2 Mufflers) fitted to my EL and it is alot louder and sounds better than all the BF's I just listened too on youtube.. Don't know why, might just be the SOHC motor produces a better exhaust note up high.

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:12 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well, when you have a motor that has cams that can be adjusted for the perfect overlap at any engine point, chances are its going to take away the lumpyness and sound that a fixed cam has.

Haven't really heard any B-series with a decent "note". Always sounds like some different speed wheezing raspy hair dryer.

And now that I reread the original post... If you change the cat you will have MIL issues, as you've just completely thrown your emissions out the window. You will need a tune to get rid of the light.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

My mates got an X Force catback on his BA with dual twin outlets, it sounds pretty nice for a BA, its smooth yeh but a good note. Also has something in the engine bay that whines like a supercharger, has so many people going WTF? when hes up it lol

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

as phatba said its the bf onwards that have the issues as they have 2xO2 sensors instead of one ( i am pretty sure BA mk1 or 2 weren't affected at all). I actually have an adapter on mine which has prevented the engine light from coming on. However just recently it did but i got it cleared and it hasnt come back for a week.

Read this thread, i put a few posts on it and linked to other posts with pics of my adapter

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/malfuction-indicator-lamp-t89167.html

basically its nothing to worry about if you dont mind having your engine light on all the time. if not then you will need to get a tune, there are various levels and phatba has actually explained them in the above thread.

Cheers

Phil

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]