Fordmods Logo

Bloody water pump this time! Advice 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Bloody water pump this time! Advice
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 587

Joined: 25th Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

This newer AU I bought I think will be the death of me. The old high k's one was running nicely, this newer one is giving me the s**t.

Anyway, the old one has just had the water pump done, it was leaking from where the solid heater tube goes into it. Well, I go out today and the new one has water underneath, and it is leaking from the same place. It sounds like a relatively easy job to replace but the mechanic last time mentioned (before he did it) that it could be corrosion on the end of the solid pipe, not the water pump. How likely is it that I replace the pump and gaskets and its the heater tube end that was the cause? Was it just a possibility or 'likely'?

Also, I always seem to have gaskets leaking on me when I replace things - what should I coat them with before installation (in this case I assume it will be an o ring type at the heater pipe entry, and a paper type gasket where it mounts to the block). Should I apply something to both of these?

Thanks
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 61

Posts: 437

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Ride: EL GHIA

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

its very likely it could be corrosion

fraud sell an replacement part for the end of that tube if it is

if its ok then just a new o ring and some silicon sealant

always use a sealant on paper gaskets - something like non-hardening aviation gasket goo is good and cheap and available at any parts store or black silicon is good with or without a gasket
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 5889

Joined: 2nd Mar 2006

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: '14 Grand Cherokee

Location: Port Lincoln
SA, Australia

tiny56 wrote:
its very likely it could be corrosion

fraud sell an replacement part for the end of that tube if it is

if its ok then just a new o ring and some silicon sealant

always use a sealant on paper gaskets - something like non-hardening aviation gasket goo is good and cheap and available at any parts store or black silicon is good with or without a gasket


Loctite 3 does the job :)

 

_________________

11/93 ED OPT20 GLi | Full Boat Spec

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

If you plan on replacing the water pump. it is advisable to get a new one since there are 2 gaskets on the water pump. One is on the outside which mates with the block side, the other gasket sits in between the metal gasket and the water pump. If the gasket between the metal gasket and water pump rips or fails once you remove it, you can't replace it.

When I replaced my water pump, I all gaskets (2 paper and the metal one) with gasket maker thing (the blue one). This will stop leakage if you coated it well...but don't go overboard cause it will squash out and you'll have excess on both inside and outside the pump. So too much excess is bad.

Another thing you have to do is put some gasket maker on the bolts. One of the bolts goes through the block and has coolant running through it, so if there is no gasket maker on it, it might leak after a while through the bolt hole.

leakage from the heater pipe end will required new rubber o-ring...put vaseline on the o-ring so that it slides easier into the water pump. If you force it in without any lubricant, chances are you can rip and fatigue the o-ring earlier. If it is corrosion, new end piece can be put on it.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:29 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 84

Joined: 1st Jan 2008

Ride: EF II Ghia

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Another thing you have to do is put some gasket maker on the bolts. One of the bolts goes through the block and has coolant running through it, so if there is no gasket maker on it, it might leak after a while through the bolt hole.


Is this bolt the top right one by any chance? :|
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

JWM wrote:
phongus wrote:
Another thing you have to do is put some gasket maker on the bolts. One of the bolts goes through the block and has coolant running through it, so if there is no gasket maker on it, it might leak after a while through the bolt hole.


Is this bolt the top right one by any chance? :|


*shrugs* i can't remember exactly sorry.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:06 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names