Bloody water pump this time! Advice 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Bloody water pump this time! Advice
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

This newer AU I bought I think will be the death of me. The old high k's one was running nicely, this newer one is giving me the s**t.

Anyway, the old one has just had the water pump done, it was leaking from where the solid heater tube goes into it. Well, I go out today and the new one has water underneath, and it is leaking from the same place. It sounds like a relatively easy job to replace but the mechanic last time mentioned (before he did it) that it could be corrosion on the end of the solid pipe, not the water pump. How likely is it that I replace the pump and gaskets and its the heater tube end that was the cause? Was it just a possibility or 'likely'?

Also, I always seem to have gaskets leaking on me when I replace things - what should I coat them with before installation (in this case I assume it will be an o ring type at the heater pipe entry, and a paper type gasket where it mounts to the block). Should I apply something to both of these?

Thanks

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

its very likely it could be corrosion

fraud sell an replacement part for the end of that tube if it is

if its ok then just a new o ring and some silicon sealant

always use a sealant on paper gaskets - something like non-hardening aviation gasket goo is good and cheap and available at any parts store or black silicon is good with or without a gasket

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

tiny56 wrote:
its very likely it could be corrosion

fraud sell an replacement part for the end of that tube if it is

if its ok then just a new o ring and some silicon sealant

always use a sealant on paper gaskets - something like non-hardening aviation gasket goo is good and cheap and available at any parts store or black silicon is good with or without a gasket

Loctite 3 does the job :)

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If you plan on replacing the water pump. it is advisable to get a new one since there are 2 gaskets on the water pump. One is on the outside which mates with the block side, the other gasket sits in between the metal gasket and the water pump. If the gasket between the metal gasket and water pump rips or fails once you remove it, you can't replace it.

When I replaced my water pump, I all gaskets (2 paper and the metal one) with gasket maker thing (the blue one). This will stop leakage if you coated it well...but don't go overboard cause it will squash out and you'll have excess on both inside and outside the pump. So too much excess is bad.

Another thing you have to do is put some gasket maker on the bolts. One of the bolts goes through the block and has coolant running through it, so if there is no gasket maker on it, it might leak after a while through the bolt hole.

leakage from the heater pipe end will required new rubber o-ring...put vaseline on the o-ring so that it slides easier into the water pump. If you force it in without any lubricant, chances are you can rip and fatigue the o-ring earlier. If it is corrosion, new end piece can be put on it.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF II Ghia

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Another thing you have to do is put some gasket maker on the bolts. One of the bolts goes through the block and has coolant running through it, so if there is no gasket maker on it, it might leak after a while through the bolt hole.

Is this bolt the top right one by any chance? :|

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

JWM wrote:
phongus wrote:

Is this bolt the top right one by any chance? :|

*shrugs* i can't remember exactly sorry.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]