Fordmods Logo

Blown main fuse in bay! any ideas...? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Blown main fuse in bay! any ideas...?
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: cortina

QLD, Australia

Brothers EF got stuck today , went to investigate and found the main fuse in the panel beside the battery had blown. Ihave since found i could not get this fuse out to do anything with it. Battery was also flat when trying to restart and could not turn headlights etc on to drive for lack of voltage.
Can anyone tell me if the fuse being blown effects the output of the alternator? Or maybe if it has been spiking , rooted the battery , blown the fuse coz the alternator has s**t itself. Im only getting an 8 volt reading when its running, just not sure about the fuse , anyone else had drama's with this ??

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:00 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Check the FAN FUSIBLE LINK (60A) and ALB FUSIBLE LINK (30A) - if either of these are blown, your problem lies in the power feed of those circuits. From what you've written, I'd guess they're okay - this means there could be a prob with the alternator, an internal short such as a shorted diode, etc. The Main fusible link feed goes to the alternator - so pull the two fusible links I've mentioned above, and test the resistance from the feed side of the MAIN F/Link to earth - car should be switched off - if there's a short, the alternator will need to be looked at . . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: cortina

QLD, Australia

Well i'll be buggered!! already had the other fusible links out , but upon testing the 30 amp found a dead short (although contact in link still o.k),still unsure why it took out the main, fluctuating volt readings i already had from the alternator late yesterday.
once the short was rectified , the 30 and 100 amp links were rooted or broken ,and replaced , had sparking in the back of the alternator and a loaded reading of a steady 8 volts.
a new alt too and away we go , its even fixed up the usteady idle its had for 3 months or so , so who knows how long its been like that.
thankyou very muchly for your help :D

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

No probs - what was causing the short in the 30A line ?? - this feeds the ABS modulator (where fitted) - which sits inside the LH front wheel arch.
I suppose your idle was caused by the alternator drawing a load already, if it was shorting to earth, this would be likely, along with blowing the 100A fusible link.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]