bonnet intake, just an idea 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Steady ED wrote:
Make the scoop facing backwards!!!!
The best place to suck cold air from is the low pressure area directly in front of the windscreen!

but then you loose the advantage of the ram air induction going along the highway and that. although it's probably not much.
but if SVO is right that you loose torque, I wouldn';t do it.

Ram air induction is actually a myth for road cars. When I did my aircraft theory on teh 727, we found out that ram air induction occurs above speeds of around about 600km/h. Below that it doesn't occur.

Take a look at the older V8 supercars. A lot of them had rearward facing bonnet scoops.... and they were doing a lot more than 100km/h

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hyena wrote:
I'll have a fiddle, make something up and next dyno day I'll test it and see how it goes (even if it's just made of PVC as prototype

I don't know what the torque readings were like, but gains were had running with nothing at all connected to the throttle body, altho this was more a case of no air filter, but I suppose even if you use this set up just for the drags or what ever it'd be cool :)

That's going to give you a very poor indication as when the car's on the dyno, you can't do power tests with the actual airflow over the car that you get on the road.

The only way to get accurate test results on a dyno is if the dyno is in a wind tunnel.

Also, you generally don't have the bonnet open when you're doing 100km/h along the freeway.

Also, it was mentioned that intake piping has a huge effect on N/A cars... Yes!! The longer, the worse! More intake pipe, more intake restriction. The effects of intake length are had between the throttle and the intake valve. It is an effect that is had on an individual cylinder basis. The intake pipe from the air filter delivers air to all cylinders.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF II

WA, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Steady ED wrote:
Make the scoop facing backwards!!!!
The best place to suck cold air from is the low pressure area directly in front of the windscreen!

but then you loose the advantage of the ram air induction going along the highway and that. although it's probably not much.
but if SVO is right that you loose torque, I wouldn';t do it.

Ram air induction is actually a myth for road cars. When I did my aircraft theory on teh 727, we found out that ram air induction occurs above speeds of around about 600km/h. Below that it doesn't occur.

Take a look at the older V8 supercars. A lot of them had rearward facing bonnet scoops.... and they were doing a lot more than 100km/h

i seem to remember reading in a bike mag about the Suzuki Ram Air on its GSX-R, At top speed it actually gave the bike an extra few kilowatts. But being at top speed on a bike 280+, makes it fairly pointless on the street.

RIP Peter Brock

Lovells springs, KYB shocks, camber kit, AU XR8 snorkel, pioneer stereo, lukey straight thru exhaust, FTR XR8 mags, 35% tint and a trip computer

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Hyena wrote:
wow! free cracked head when it pours :P
if it pours ring up the formula one organizer & tell them to cancel the race, there aluminium heads might crack with all that heat generated at 12000rpm. :lol:

hey dude, I've been driving around for years in a water injected high compression 351c with high rise tunnel ram. throu all shorts of weather. no cracks mate.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Last edited by Slick on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Slick wrote:
Hyena wrote:
wow! free cracked head when it pours :P
if it pours ring up the formula one organizer & tell them to cancel the race, there aluminium heads might crack with all that heat generated at 12000rpm. :lol:

19000 RPM for the current generation F1 Engines.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Increased turbulence, less torque, poor throttle response and probably decreased economy.

Sequential scoop is the best option.

yah, not so much a tourque loss on the dyno, but on the street.
different airflows/loads

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
19000 RPM for the current generation F1 Engines.

Amazing :shock:
15 or so years ago they were around 12000-14000rpm. technology hey!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
The only way to get accurate test results on a dyno is if the dyno is in a wind tunnel.

Yeah, but how many dyno runs are down like that - nearly all are done with the car static and the bonnet open. Dyno figures are largely for pissing competitions anyway.

Slick, a 351 is ok, but look sideways at an I6 head and it will crack or blow the gasket :P

ImageImage

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Hyena wrote:
unclewoja wrote:

Yeah, but how many dyno runs are down like that - nearly all are done with the car static and the bonnet open. Dyno figures are largely for pissing competitions anyway.

Slick, a 351 is ok, but look sideways at an I6 head and it will crack or blow the gasket :P
never thought of that, they look like very thin walls. if theres a likely hood of cracking then use a sealed setup, where the only thing exposed is the pod/scoop.

I would love to try it, but.

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Hwy rider

VIC, Australia

i got bored one day and made up a intake pipe that went down under the radiator, cold air striaght into the filter box, i personally think it made a difference above 60-70kph.
but lost that to a rabbit, which took off the air con belt at the same time.
Mark

5spd conversion, extac 2 1/2 mandrell bend, 2.92lsd, kings lowered.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

hahahaha, clasic!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yeh ive seen a guy with this sorta thing at the eastern creek drags , i was thinking what the hell is this thing sticking out the bonnet then when he went past i saw the filter it looks sorta poor but i guess its working ok.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2