Fordmods Logo

Bottom end of EL motor sounds a bit rattley after driving? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Bottom end of EL motor sounds a bit rattley after driving?
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

:?:Yeah I have noticed for a while I have a rattley sound coming from the engine and wasn't too sure about were and what it is. So I popped me bonnet and started me EL up this morning then no sound whatsever everything normal as such as Injectors ticking slightly etc. Then I go for a drive around the Block then park it in my garage and let it idle. I then check around the engine bay and every else including the Head sounds fine then I notice this Rattley sound coming form down below the Exhaust Manifolds on the Engine block. I think I have had it for a while is this a normal sound cause I only seem to get it when I have taken the car for a drive and it isnt their on a cold start.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Define the sound a bit more. Does the frequency of the sound increase linearly with revs or does it come and go as you rev it but stay the same pitch?

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I dont know how to describe it just that it sort of sounds ,Well Rattley. It does increase in Frequency as you rev it. But weird thing its not their all the time like I was saying early in the morning its not their. And during the day if I let it sit their for more than 30minutes its their on initial start -up then goes away then comes back again when driving and noticed more when stopped and idling at lights etc. I thought it might of been my Oil so I whacked in some Shell Helix Ultra and it has toned the Rattely sound down about 20%. I dont know if this all helps.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Series 2 XR8

WA, Australia

What viscosity is the oil your using? 20w-50 would be best, maybe your oils too thin? Next time you get your car serviced have them take a look

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NCII Ghia

VIC, Australia

Maybe you have an exhaust leak? An exhaust leak can sound like a rattle/pinging. Does it rattle when the engine is under load?

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Umm loose bolt? :D

Tried tightening things up?

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah its more of a drive train "rattle" rather than a Loose part rattle. I might get the Mechanic to check it on next service like one of you said. I think I have had the same "rattle" sound from the Engine since I bought the EL. I just wasn't sure whether or not that sound was normal or not to the EF's or EL's

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

Ticking sounds = Hydraulic lifters
Rattling sounds could be anything from your timing chain to (If its in the bottom end) maybe a bent conrod (piston slap)...

If you have a decent mechanic that you always take your car to, ask him if he can take a quick listen one day with his stethoscope (like a probe connected to one of those things doctors have) should be able to pinpoint it precisely.

Not good, noisy engines piss me off ... Im gunna pimp slap the mechanic that put my hydraulic lifters back in the wrong spots !!

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ace wrote:
Ticking sounds = Hydraulic lifters
(If its in the bottom end) maybe a bent conrod (piston slap)...

So what is the cause of a Bent Conrod. I guess either way could be looking at Big bucks to fix maybe? Funny thing happened today a Holdung VS 3.8L V6 Ute pulled up at work today then Courier driver got out and left it idling. While one of the other workers helped him with a Pick-up. Anyway I thought I could hear the same sound coming from his engine as what is coming from my Falcon. So I went up closer to it and sure enough it had that same " rattley" sound that I have been having?? Weird aye???

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]