Fordmods Logo

broadand manifold vs log questions 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: broadand manifold vs log questions
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 29 images

VIC, Australia

^^^^^^^^Unless you're motor is already healthy.
And I can't see what advantage you would have changing complete motor??
EF motor would need dizzy put back in it, and EL motor is essentially the same, just the manifold and the single belt drive.

And I think they have 4 more counterweights for added smoothness, but after driving mine and an EL there is really no difference in driveability.

So I say give it a go if your motor is healthy enough. It's part of modding and having fun doing it.

Cheers,

Mark.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

evan a el moter is a cheap alternitve they a just a better bilt moter more relible and responsive and rev harder iv had 4 nice ea eb and dident find em that great but thats only me there are quik ones around tho just depends on your expiriance with that piticuler moter i spose...

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

You would need to fit an EF/EL ECU anyway for the knock sensor and fans if you do it properly. I say go for it and when the motor is tired do a swap. Get the next motor cheaper without the manifold.

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

As said Keep your stock eb motor till it dies. then drop in a fresh au motor down the track as they fit into ea-ed very easily and are a much nicer motor then ef/el and are so cheap now.

Im running the EL efi on an AU motor and it goes very well. and with 4.11's its fuel consumption is still better then a stock eb-ed.

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:18 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

spaz ef wrote:
evan a el moter is a cheap alternitve they a just a better bilt moter more relible and responsive and rev harder iv had 4 nice ea eb and dident find em that great but thats only me there are quik ones around tho just depends on your expiriance with that piticuler moter i spose...

i would say there is no real advantage in using a ef or el motor as they are still pretty much the same as the ed engine. other than a few minor differences ..
and the ef/el engines only rev harder and have more responce because of the bbm and the el ecu ..(higher rev limiter)..

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:21 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well, you could run the fans with a davies craig switch, but i run them from the ecu, it's much better.

As for the knock sensor, I'm not running one. From what I know, the slightly lower compression on the ED makes it almost redundant. It only retards the engine if it knocks, and that is generally with higher compression.

I also thought not running it would be bad but ECU obviously doesn't seem to mind!!

Cheers,

Mark.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thats interesting regarding the knock sensor. I think it assumes that its faulty and the ECU uses a predetermined value to keep things running. I expect it will have retarded the motor slightly. It would be interesting to see if there was a change in the performance if a knock sensor was connected.

Drive safe, arrive alive

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:29 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yeah it would be, but I've check the timing on it and it's spot on (thanks to arm79 for that info).

And the performance of the car is better than when car had log manifold on, so yeah, whatever works I suppose!! :D

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

thats pretty much it....and why would u bother not upgrading to an AU motor when they are so cheap now and a much improved engine.

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If I remember correctly there is a mob on Ebay that sell low milage AU motors with a modified sump so they just drop in. They cut and weld the sump. This gets around having to modify the bar in front of the sump which then needs an engineers certificate. You can of course not get a certificate but god help you if your in an accident.

Drive safe, arrive alive

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:59 pm 

NSW, Australia

falconea wrote:
If I remember correctly there is a mob on Ebay that sell low milage AU motors with a modified sump so they just drop in. They cut and weld the sump. This gets around having to modify the bar in front of the sump which then needs an engineers certificate. You can of course not get a certificate but god help you if your in an accident.

Actually i was told by an engineer you dont really need a engineers cirtificate for that bar mod on the ea because its not a load bearing part of the k frame its only a brace for added support and there has been no other cutting or welding on the k frame..
ive had mine checked because i thought that i might need a cirtificate but the engineer said i didnt need one for the reasons above..(i dont know about other states) but he almost laughed when i said i wanted a engineers cirtificate for a small weld on the k frame. but he said if i really wanted one he would write one but said it was a waist of time and money.
after that i went and got a blue slip to change the engine number and the guy doing the blue slip didnt say anything about the mod on the front of the k frame or the fact that it was a au motor..

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

How come you modified the support bar on yours???? my AU motor cleared heaps with the Sump fins shaved off....

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:16 pm 

NSW, Australia

i didnt modify the sump at all i just cut 3/4 of the way through the square tube and bent it forward about 20mm and welded it.

actually when i first tried to fit the engine the engine did fit without mods but the sump was touching the square tube on the front of the k frame and would have vibrated and rubbed heaps..

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2