Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Broken Cam question
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Hey fordmodders,

I started my EB Ghia up this morning, and the car was idling away on petrol, warming up, when it went "clunk" and died. Engine spins over. I have spark, fuel & compression. As it spins over, it clunks every so often. No metal shavings turning up on the end of the dipstick (yet).

I have not pulled the rocker cover off yet, gotta go to work soon, but I'm considering the possibility that it might have broken the camshaft. Can't hear the timing chain slapping around.

Let's say it has broken the camshaft, that could very well mean the head is warped where the cam sits?

I figure that it is unlikely i broke enough rocker arms to cause it to not run, and if it wasn't a broken cam, it would still be trying to run, even on a few cylinders. A broken aux shaft would stop the dizzy from spinning, or if it was missing teeth I'd get weird spark timing issues, and sometimes firing out the intake & exhaust as it skips teeth.

Anyway, i gotta buzz off to work in my little suzuki, I'll pull the rocker cover off tonight & check it out.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Post subject: Re: Broken Cam question
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

pull the dizzy cap off too and check that the rotor is still turning around, may have done an auxillary shaft, hopefully not though
possibly dizzy gear??

edit; i just read your post properly
Attachment:
bang.gif
bang.gif [ 904 Bytes | Viewed 897 times ]
, disregard my reply above...

Last edited by XRfairmont67 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:12 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I would doubt a broken cam shaft, possibly broken the key off the timing gear? allowing the gear to free spin?

If you have broken the cam, you have some nice mangled valves about now as well, any that were held open will me misshaped from piston collision. could get messy if your right about the broken cam. hope for your sake its something simple.
Dave

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

I cant remember what the drive on the distributor in a 4l motor looks like, but im hoping like hell for your sake that its just sheared the dowel pin that holds the drive gear in place on the dizzy shaft or something else silly and simple like that...
I cant see it being a cam snapping, I never came across that sort of problem come through our workshop. But there are a few things that can go wrong, the timing chain tensioner may have s**t itself, you may have snapped a chain guide, all of these arent good as they would allow the crank and the cam to turn out of sync and cause things to not work ever again. Im leaning towards the dizzy here, you would be hearing really, really expensive noises going on when your turning it over otherwise. Also, if you have compression in all the cylinders, this tells us that the valves are straight and doing there job, otherwise there would not be compression as this relies on the vlaves opening and closing... Actually, it cant be the dizzy as you have said you have spark..

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did check for spark, and yes i have spark, but there is something i didn't do in relation to checking for spark, when it comes to diagnosing this issue, that i worked out when i spoke with a mechanic today at work. I work @ repco & deal with a lot of mechanics, so got to bounce the issue off a couple of them today.

I didn't check for spark on any other leads than #1. :roll: Broken aux shaft will not allow the dizzy to rotate, but it will still spark on #1 if it was there when aux shaft snapped. What i need to do is pull say #5 lead, and check it for spark, or pull the dizzy cap & check the rotor is rotating....

Anyway, if it's the aux shaft this engine is done for. I'm glad i have a spare in the "parts car" i recently bought. I have to work all day tomorrow, so i think i will be removing the engine from the parts car on Sunday, fitting a set of new welsh plugs & dropping it in.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]