Broken timing chain tentioner 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Broken timing chain tentioner
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUFalcon Series 1

NSW, Australia

Hello,
My EF has a rattly timing chain. Ford have quotes $1200 to fix it and say it requires new timing chain tensioner.

Any thoughts?

Any Hints?

Any guides to DIY?

I once did an EA and it was an absolut bugger.

Thanks Tony

AU1 Falcon 18" wheels, Extractors, 2 1/2 inch system, Ultra Lows Front and Super lows in the Rear, Sun Roof (Pop up), Hawk body kit. Manual gear box.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 94 ef falcon

NSW, Australia

there is no cheats way easy way just buy a greogorys work shop mannual and do it your self

1994 ef falcon lowered tinted windows and tail lights 18 inch cromies 2 and a half inch exhaust and extractors and oval tip cd player and best of all it's MANUAL

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

I got a tensioner from the wreckers, and they just told me to take it. Just looked like a bolt/plug to them. I'm not sure how much they are new but it couldn't be that bad.

A whole new timing chain kit with a vernier gear wouldn't even set you back that much. Try a different mechanic.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

it will take an effort I guess. From what I have read, you have to lower the sump so that the timing case can be removed.

would be a tedious task...though the timing chain tensioner is where I bite the dust.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

$1200????? Sure its alot of screwing around but surely not as much effort as doing a headgasket?

Dont ask Ford to do anything, ripoff bastards they are....

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

$1200 would be for new guides, chain and tensioner i would assume.

to change the guides, and the chain is a major job. you need to remove practically everything off the from of the engine to get the timing cover off, lower the sump change all the associated parts and put it back together without it leaking oil..

in a workshop thats charging probably close to $100/h labour i can see that getting upto 1200 pretty easy including parts.

changing the chain tensioner however is relatively easy, remove the ps pump remove tensioner and replace.

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

QLD, Australia

I sent my car in to get the same problem fixed, $800 later still has same problem. I am sure that they changed the guides and chain, but not the tensioner - morons. Plus it came out with a bent power steering pulley and a constant oil leak. The leak they fixed. They said that the chain needed to bed in....

:x

Repco said parts is about $400 to $500 as i remember

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

The timing kit can be bought for around $90.00 The sump must be dropped atleast 10mm and a tool is required to remove the harmonic balancer. If you are to do it urself i can supply a pic to show what to look out for. Will take you around 6 hrs comfortably to do.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

aftermarket timing kit less than $100, labour to replace......lots. I snapped the guide on a engine when I did a head gasket and it took about 6 hrs to rip the front of the engine off and replace, lucky the head was still off.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Yeah well I have the harmonic balancer puller and necessary parts its just that damn sump. I dont want to drop it as they rearly seal again. I dont see how to drop the sump and clean it properly, replace gasket & refit. I hate spending two days working on cars only to find a persistant oil leak.

And doing it in the driveway will be a pain, but I just dont have the money there asking.

Thanks Guys
Any more hints to what to watch out for will be great.

AU1 Falcon 18" wheels, Extractors, 2 1/2 inch system, Ultra Lows Front and Super lows in the Rear, Sun Roof (Pop up), Hawk body kit. Manual gear box.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

if it has the original sump gasket you will be sweet as they are a 1 piece rubber. you only need to lower the sump, not take off

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I did mine and i didnt come across any leaks and it was far cheaper than $1200.00 Do it yourself and learn some things on the way. I must admit tho it would be an easier job with the head off, so when was ur head gasket last done???? that way the sump doesnt need to be dropped.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

joolz wrote:
so when was ur head gasket last done???? that way the sump doesnt need to be dropped.

why not?

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I had actually considered doing that. I dunno when head was last done. Car has done 195k and according to what I read here they last about 100k on average.

I think with the head off I would have better access and would then be replacing the seals that I break. With the EF I guess the head bolts need replacing just like on the EA's?
This would be more work but may be the best way to ensure a better finish.

Thanks for you thoughts keepem comeing what do you all think of this idea

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well my gasket went at 150,000 k's and i actually broke the right side timing chain guide then. about 50,000 k's later it was getting noisy as it wasnt replaced when it was broken so i decided to do the timing chain kit then. When it was time to remove the timing chain cover i wished i did it when the head was off!! Some things to look out for is the regulator valve fot the timing chain tensioner when removing cover. Its small and call fall off from either the cover or the block into the sump. Another is the small lower chain guide, it can fall off when removing cover into the sump (thats where my old one now lives) I can post pics if needed to show where to look. Basically for around the same price as Ford quted you on the timing chain guides you can do all that nd the head geasket for well under $600

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next