Fordmods Logo

[HELP] Building up BA XR6 N/A 

Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: [HELP] Building up BA XR6 N/A
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '03 BA XR6

QLD, Australia

Sorry for double post, The exact quote i got from Fat Pipes was $1050, Now thats not a mandrel bent exhaust system, I asked about going mandrel though he said the Cat already makes u loose air pressure so should not bother going mandrel. Opinions?

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Mandrel will always have a better flow than press bend, regardless of what he says.
Are you getting a single 2.5" catback?
You do NOT want pressure in the exhaust.
You want it to be free flowing.
If thats what he said about the cat HE is supplying you i would look at a different cat.
There are cats out there that barely restrict exhaust flow at all.
I would be more concerned with press bends than a cat restricting airflow (cat is necesary, press bends are not)
Just my 2c

Cheers

Sam

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

DOUBLE POST

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

the sam wrote:
Mandrel will always have a better flow than press bend, regardless of what he says.
Are you getting a single 2.5" catback?
You do NOT want pressure in the exhaust.
You want it to be free flowing.
If thats what he said about the cat HE is supplying you i would look at a different cat.
There are cats out there that barely restrict exhaust flow at all.
I would be more concerned with press bends than a cat restricting airflow (cat is necesary, press bends are not)
Just my 2c

Cheers

Sam

Hey mate, Thanks for your input. The cat i requested was a 2 1/2" High Flow Redback Cat. Might go mandrel hope its not to much more.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Maybe a 3" collector on your extractors and a 3" cat and twin 2.5" might be more appropriate for your application? More flow to support bigger cams.

Cheers

Sam

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

I see where you are going with it, Though i don't want to loose power by give it to much flow. I may be wrong though with my S13 going 2 1/2" was to big had to go back to 2 1/4" now thats a 4 cylinder though, But even in saying that the extractors only output to 2 1/2" so the pressure coming through shouldn't really change if anything it would just sound louder going into a larger tube. Theoretically anyhow.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Power difference between running a twin or a single would be less than a couple of kilowasps if anything. If youre going to be porting the head and running a big high lift cam the
exhaust is going to need to flow to its full requirements. Id say go twin 2.5" or single 3" over single 2.5", especially if youre going to be putting more work into it later.
Shav (i think) on here was running a 2.5" on his supercharged au and it was restricted to around 200-210rwkw due to lack of flow.

Cheers

Sam

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 07 BF XR6 Sedan

QLD, Australia

Yer exhaust will depend on what mod you planing on doing.. but for around 200-210rwkw a nice flowing 2.5" should do the trick. Or a twin 2.25. I have heard of people running around with 3" exhuast also but with 3 mufflers to keep the noise down.

With mine due to head work and bigger cams im running a twin 2.5" with 3 mufflers. one in the centre and 1 either side after diff.. We deleted centre muffler and picked up another 6rwkw but was way to loud..

Also if going a twin its improtant that from where it goes single and splits into twin that you have the most flow 'Y' piece or a muffler that goes from 1 into 2.. otherwise there will be a loss of power..

Remember when getting power out of n/a the biggest things to get right are the intake and exhaust..

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Okay this is getting a bit tricky hehe. With the cams, underdrive pulley, induction, extractors and lsd will basically be the over all. I don't want to get these exhausts done then have to change it again.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

With that list i was making 207rwkw with just a 2.5" exhaust and 4490s. It only had one muffler and a hiflow cat tho. Similar set up should do you fine. But in saying that a fella i have got to know pretty well who works at a exhaust shop reckons that he mainly bolts on 3" cat back systems. His reasoning behind it is that they are a big capacity 6.. Im not sure but i can ask him what brand he recommends as his xr6 ute sounds pretty sweet.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Hey trav, That would be great if you could. I don't mind going 3" its not much extra will save me upgrading again later on :)

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Trav199 wrote:
With that list i was making 207rwkw with just a 2.5" exhaust and 4490s. It only had one muffler and a hiflow cat tho. Similar set up should do you fine. But in saying that a fella i have got to know pretty well who works at a exhaust shop reckons that he mainly bolts on 3" cat back systems. His reasoning behind it is that they are a big capacity 6.. Im not sure but i can ask him what brand he recommends as his xr6 ute sounds pretty sweet.

Sorry for double post, I found 3" Redback High Flow Cat for $169 on ebay delivered. So i was quoted $295 fitted for a 2 1/2", I think ill buy the one of ebay and get them to fit it when they do extractors. I can't find 3" catback exhaust in redback for the ba, So whats another good brand to chase, Be good to see what your mate recommends. Thinking of going twin of the rear muffler though have them both sitting on the right side. Don't like the look of one on each side =x

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

that single 3" exhaust on ebay sounds like the way to go.. Red back is good brand.. He uses hurrican on most of his cars.. In saying that i had a redback and it was fine..

did u get the one on ebay?

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Trav199 wrote:
that single 3" exhaust on ebay sounds like the way to go.. Red back is good brand.. He uses hurrican on most of his cars.. In saying that i had a redback and it was fine..

did u get the one on ebay?

I can't find a Redback 3" Exhaust on ebay, The 3" High Flow Cat is on there though, $169 seems good price. Also found a Venom 3" 100CPSI Cat converter for $200, Opinion?

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

hmmm cats are a tricky one.. i have wrecked a heap for some reason.. Prob coz cars done like 140 odd dyno runs haha.. I have a 3.5" hurrican one and have been giving it a good test.. and it seems pretty good.. but it cost 360 bucks lol

In saying that alota the fellas on AFF run 3" venom ones.. IF yur on abit of a budget that would be the way to go.. Ebay can be abit limited for options sometimes.. can recommend a growler kit off there tho!

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next