Fordmods Logo

buying a BA what to look out for? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi all

You could also try Pickles at Tullamarine - www.pickles.com.au

Have been buying cars from the auctions for years - never had a dud. Take a look at the service book, and the general condition of the car - the same as buying private or from the yards. 70% of the stuff from the yards is ex-government stuff anyway. Most government stuff gets reasonably well looked after and quite a few you would swear they were privately owned.

Then you always have the fallback of 100000km/3 year warranty if you have a major curumba...

Go and have a look at the auctions over the Xmas break but don’t buy - all the holiday goers are there and push prices up, wait for a month or two.

Scooter

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

You got pics of your EF SVO? That's what i had for 9 years but sold it a few months back, had the plates EF SVO aswell.

I tell ya what though, look out for an AU.... Much better car!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

^His right. Had mine for almost 6 years since new & still waiting for signs of trouble or pits falling apart :P

apart from your normal consumables & 1 water pump that didn't need changing plus a mild performance rebuilt that really wasn't necessary. DOH!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: svo

VIC, Australia

thanx Scooterxf and yeah ill try get some pics up of the old girl

black ba xr6 with sunroof = more hot chicks

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

King Nothing wrote:
If it bangs or shudders both times you put it in reverse, leave it.

you will find most ba's do that and if thats the only time it does it dont stress too much.. alot of the time it can be fixed with a recalibration of the pcm

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

whats the reason for the auto doing that? yeah i took my first test drive today of a ba xr6 2003 very nice car looking into buying this one its from a dearlership black with factory sunroof has like 100,000 km on it which is more then i wanted but it is in mint condition drives like new and has all the service's done at the dearlership and looks to be the one haha hopefully its priced at 24,990 but said they will do it for me for 22,000 drive away is that a good price?

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

its because it loads up the park pawls and when u put it out of reverse it comes off them with a thud... look under the car, if the trailshaft spins and then clunks its a diff
if the tailshaft doesnt spin until u start to move its normal (a little movement is always going to happen however)

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ryansvo wrote:
whats the reason for the auto doing that? yeah i took my first test drive today of a ba xr6 2003 very nice car looking into buying this one its from a dearlership black with factory sunroof has like 100,000 km on it which is more then i wanted but it is in mint condition drives like new and has all the service's done at the dearlership and looks to be the one haha hopefully its priced at 24,990 but said they will do it for me for 22,000 drive away is that a good price?

Before you go spending........Look at youre other options. do I really wanna pay for something that has high K's?

Shop on the link below before you make a mistake.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/DesktopDefau ... del=FALCON

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:27 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

ryansvo wrote:

yeah 100 000 is relatively high for $22,000 theres something better than that, i think dealers are making a sh!t load from the XR6 pretty much a futura with sports suspension, not taking anything away from the Xr its just that the dealers are cashing in. if a futura was bought, with the change you could chuck in the 6 speed gear box
just a thought

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Heres one for ya!

this is the best time of year to purchase as its one of the slowest time for dealers. if you negotiate, you'll be able to knock the price down as much as $4000 excluding trade-in if you're "smart".

negotiate negotiate.... if not satisfied, bluff by walk away. its likely they'll pull you back to make the deal. :wink:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/FOR ... 05799.aspx

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:42 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

mmmm thanx guys i have some thinking to do cheers for the advice :shock:

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

usual probs with BA's

Power Steering SHudder at low speeds - Can be fixed under warranty by changing the high pressure hose

Brake Shudder- Dont stress it will go when you replace the discs

Handbrake - Can ford really fix this slackening off? Some say yes some say no!

there teh major issues in the ba - Power steer and brakes were generally sorted by release of the mk2

Nicko

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

pickles and fowles aslo have fixed price cars which are government cars that they sell
http://www.pickles.com.au/fixedprice.html

Search there - there is a green BA xr6 with leather, premo sound, reverse sensors and 67kms on it for 24
Premo sound is worth every cent on xr - you get colour screen which you can hook up sat nav or even a dvd to!

Nicko

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA XR6 Ute

QLD, Australia

Neo_nick wrote:
usual probs with BA's

Power Steering SHudder at low speeds - Can be fixed under warranty by changing the high pressure hose

Brake Shudder- Dont stress it will go when you replace the discs

Handbrake - Can ford really fix this slackening off? Some say yes some say no!

there teh major issues in the ba - Power steer and brakes were generally sorted by release of the mk2

with the power steering there is a spacer kit available during service from ford, the brake shudder, well ford use crap rotors, replace them... hand brake easy as. the diffs, noisy lsd's ocasionally,
the biggy with them is the water pump, they leak, all of em, one time or another, design fault, but ford fix em for 100.00. they know it does it they have a repair kit.

dont get one with too many k's on, no need to. look around, i gopt my ute from ford. 2003 XR6 42000 on. for 25k.

nascentes morimur

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Gregg_13 thnx for that and good price on your car thanx for everyones help i am going down to check out another 3 xr6 tomorrow so hopefully ill find one for me cheers boys

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2