Fordmods Logo

Buying from auction - Any tips? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont,

QLD, Australia

i got my rf mont from auction as a stocker was in ok condition with bot 190,000 on the clock as with most falcons these days it had the normal rocker cover gasket leak,power steering pump and hose, slightly yellowed headlights but the money saved at auction got all this fixed for way under the price of private sales ie$3500 for the car and ford power steering pump and hose (ok pump is a little more expensive then repco but its brand new not reco) and i think it toatled up to bout $3900 on road and some auctions do warranty i heard

95 ef montfor sale pm for info, 88 hilux mud truck

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA fairmont, 4.0litre el xr6 eng

VIC, Australia

tim2x wrote:
How much do good nick EB-ED fairmont's go for at the auctions?

Cheers.

id say dont pay more then 500 for them wouldnt buy them at the auctions anyway if you want im selling my ea its in mint condition 4000 :P

I live my life qtr mile at a time :P

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well I got my EL Fairmont from the auctions at Fowles in Altona/Laverton (not sure where the address goes to).

Anyways it was a bargain really but then over time I had to pay extra to get the car up and running, though it was still a good buy same time last year.

I won with a bid of $4500 and then $250 on top for Auction fees, making the Fairmont $4750 in total. The car would be worth more if it was at a car yard since it came with LSD, Black Momo steering wheel (I think the XR one with red stitches) and a sunroof though the car ran like s**t. Took me an extra $1500 to get it on the road the way it is now. That included new rims and tyres, new front brake discs and pads and the timing reset to normal.

In the end the car cost me about $7000 including transfer papers.

For me it was an excellent buy though if you are not ready to fork out extra money to get it up and running and Roadworthied, then I suggest you go to a car yard.

I concur with what most people have said, check out car yards and stuff before going out and getting yourself one from the Auctions. Get some more information about the cars before you buy them.

good luck

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Got my '92 EBII Fairmont from an auction back in 2004.
Car had 260,000 on the clock and i got it for $1650.
(+$300 cash slung to the dealer dude who checked it out and purchased
it for me)

Been goin pretty good ever since, travelled bout 70,000km now, with regular servicing and a few repairs, no majors....

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i got my au2 fairmont from pickels auction for $7000, my trick was to diconnect the battery termanils and when other people came to look at the car i told them it was f#*d(blown headgasket, needs new engine all kinds of s**t to make them go and look at another car). as a result i was the only one to bid for the car...

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
i got my au2 fairmont from pickels auction for $7000, my trick was to diconnect the battery termanils and when other people came to look at the car i told them it was f#*d(blown headgasket, needs new engine all kinds of s**t to make them go and look at another car). as a result i was the only one to bid for the car...

Hahaha I like your thinking! :lol:

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

look at a car, decide what its worth to you, dont bid early in sale of that particular car coz too many bidding push the prices too high too quick.

ive bought probably too many cars from the auctions and as general rule of thumb remember that you need 1500-2000 to get em on the road(including rego if it isnt already and repairs)
just do your sums is all i can say

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2