Fordmods Logo

Buying from auction - Any tips? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Buying from auction - Any tips?
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi,
I want to buy an EF or EL Fairmont for my first car and want to get one from the auctions only because I will save huge $$$.

But I don't know a lot about cars, however I want to learn.

What do I have to look out for. For instance, Ive been reading that EF/EL have head gasket problems. How do I know if the head is gone?
What else can I check mechanically to make sure that the car is worth it and not going to cost me a lot down the track in repairs.

Just in case your asking Ive spoken to our mechanic asking him if he is available to come down with me but he said he's extremely busy.

Thanks guys

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

check down the side of the engine near the extractors to see if you can see any coolant desposits that are crusted on there..

check oil level take the engine cap off rocker cover and rub finger around the inside of the hole and see if theres any buildup there

keep in mind buyers fees.. sometimes 6% or so +gst

umm yea theres prolly much more..

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Have a look around before you go to the auctions. There is a EF for 2k here but noone has got it because there is no pic on he advertisment. I test drive the car and it was all fine.

But i suggest looking around.

Check for books at the auctions. If its got books then you know its history.

Like above. Check to see if there is any white kinda s**t on the block anywhere, especially from the head gaskit.

Take the oil cap off and make sure the oil is oil coloured not white and creamy. Also if you get a light and shine it in the hole and look at the rockers.If you can see them clearly then its all good. If they are caked in crap and dont have as good shape then the motor has castrol GTX or magnteck which blocks oil seats.

Make sure there are no knocking noises coming from the motor. If you can test drive see if it changes gear alright. Test in boh economy and power becuase you can have problems in both.

Be care about the preiums... Some auctions are ex GST, some unclude GST and others have other expences ontop.

Good luck and post up what you buy with pics and all. May also want to check out pickles auctions.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

some auctions won't let you start the car up/take it for a drive etc - so it can be a little more risky, hence why you usually pay less for the cars there!

i've only bought a damaged vehicle however was very good, and well worth the $$$!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

stomper wrote:
If they are caked in crap and dont have as good shape then the motor has castrol GTX or magnteck which blocks oil seats.

What's wrong with Castrol??? i use GTX2 and havent had any problems..

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

stomper wrote:
If they are caked in crap and dont have as good shape then the motor has castrol GTX or magnteck which blocks oil seats.

lol, never heard that one before. never had an issue with Castrol oils before.
EF prices are direct cheap these days, often GLi's for as low as high 2's/low 3's, I don't see there being that much saving in the auctions on these models to be taking such a risk. remember, there's gotta be a reason why it's being auctioned and not sold normally - yes it is often reposed vehicles from people who havn't been paying.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
stomper wrote:

lol, never heard that one before. never had an issue with Castrol oils before.
EF prices are direct cheap these days, often GLi's for as low as high 2's/low 3's, I don't see there being that much saving in the auctions on these models to be taking such a risk. remember, there's gotta be a reason why it's being auctioned and not sold normally - yes it is often reposed vehicles from people who havn't been paying.
ive seen EFs go for under a grand at city auctions in Bris

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:11 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I don't see there being that much saving in the auctions on these models to be taking such a risk.

I agree, especially as someone who doesn't know much about cars.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Cheers for the replies guys.

The only reason why I want to buy from auctions is that all the EF Fairmont go for $5500+ and EL for $6000+ on carsales, whereas the other day when I went to Pickles in Melbourne an EF Fairmont with I think about 200,000 on the clock went for $2000. But I'm looking at getting one with less than 200,000.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Check all the above things that people have listed. Definately listen to the car when they go to drive it up to sell!
Also, good luck finding an EF/EL with less than 200,000km's these days.
Especially at the Auctions, if there's one at the Auctions with 200,000 on it, i reckon that would be pretty good.
Still, goodluck looking, hope you find something.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

SA, Australia

glenneaux wrote:
stomper wrote:

What's wrong with Castrol??? i use GTX2 and havent had any problems..

Half the change over motors at the wreckers i worked at were because things worn too much and died cause there was no oil to them due to castrol oils cloggin up.

I just wish i had pics of the motors. Its really a thing of you have to see it to believe it. I used a fully synthetic oil cause there is no wear and the motor loves it.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I got my car from the auctions without test driving it, what a bargain I got. :) My old man got a VT, one of my uncles got an EF and another uncle got a 99 magna. No major problems found. Whereas my first car was an EA from the caryard (Biggest waste of money i've ever blown with the problems I found). If going for a newish car with lowish k's, the risk isn't too bad, older car with high kays i find are the risks however with good reason, they practically give em away for free.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

I agree that there are bargains to be had. I bought my first car, an ED Fairmont fromthe auctions, and its was a great car.
But you have to know what you're getting, as with all cars, there are hidden problems, and then there are problems that could be found out by test driving them. Still i know you're not guaranteed a bulletproof car if you buy privately or from a dealer.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

How much do good nick EB-ED fairmont's go for at the auctions?

Cheers.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2010 g6e turbo

SA, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
I got my car from the auctions without test driving it, what a bargain I got. :) My old man got a VT, one of my uncles got an EF and another uncle got a 99 magna. No major problems found. Whereas my first car was an EA from the caryard (Biggest waste of money i've ever blown with the problems I found). If going for a newish car with lowish k's, the risk isn't too bad, older car with high kays i find are the risks however with good reason, they practically give em away for free.

couldn't agree more, try and take someone with a bit of car sense with you and you will definetly do better than going to a car yard as they pick up most of there cars at auction anyway,give them a $150 detail then put an extra couple of grand on the price. :evil:

good luck let us know how ya go

2010 G6E TURBO

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next