Fordmods Logo

cai and new exhaust system 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 4

Joined: 21st Mar 2013

Ride: xr6 fg

Location: perth
WA, Australia

Hi guys,

Just recently bought a 2011 fg xr6 n/a and am looking at getting a cai and maybe a new exhaust system . I bought my car from a ford dealer and went for the extended warranty and I know if I get a new exhaust system this will most probably viod my insurance. I'm taking that it would only void the insurance for certain things and was just wondering what are these things and are they known to fail often. Do you think its worth getting the new exhaust system? ?
As for the cai is it worth spending the money and getting the cai with growler??

Thanks guys, sort of new to this modding gig so any info is appreciated.

Scott.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 190

Joined: 14th Sep 2010

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6 206RWKW ;)

Location: greensborough
VIC, Australia

if you want it to look pretty then go for it, but you can do the same thing with something alot cheaper, so you can spend your money on other things, extractors and exhaust...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 4

Joined: 21st Mar 2013

Ride: xr6 fg

Location: perth
WA, Australia

I do want to look good however its not a big issue if it isnt. What is cheaper way of doing it?

Thanks
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 190

Joined: 14th Sep 2010

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6 206RWKW ;)

Location: greensborough
VIC, Australia

1)go and get second hand xr6 turbo exhaust cat back for 100-150 and another 100 to get it fitted,,,,
2)then go and get your cat converter changed with a magna flow 3" metalcore one,,,they are normally 450fitted at the exhaust shops but go and get one from ebay (get magnaflow brand) around 200 and pay another 80 to get it fitted
3)then get a performance headers. if you have money go and get pacemaker 4490 or 4495 depends on what you wanna do. 4490 for a streeet use and it gives you power at the lower rpm and if you wanna gain power at the high rpm go and get 4495...4495 is for a track mostly...or there is another option and you can go and get a redback brand extractor which is cheaper than pacemaker.
4)then get your air induction changed, dnt have to spend big $$$, just go to ford and but ford fpv typhoon air box kit. you will receive different airbox with a second intake tube on it amd wotha bigger snorkel. this kit will give you decent performance and it is only $170 dolars and very easy fitting, only takes 20 minutes, also you hve to change your air filter to k&N air filter. k&N panel filter is about 70-80 dolars.
5) now you have to get a flash tuner to get your car tuned and this is on special at the moment...you can get it from KPM in NSW or you can get this from Bluepower racing development in Victoria. these two places are selling on a special price of $450-$460 at the moment. they are normally around $600-$700. you will just plug this on your car and it has soem tunes in it and you will press the button and it will upgrade your car's ecu and your car will run better and it will make you gain extra rear wheel kw.
if you do what i have told you up to this point, you will gain 27-30 rear wheel kw easy....if you want more power there are some other options as well to keep getting done...

6) now you have to get a transmission cooler, because factory one is crap and it makes the coolent get in to your transmission and in a time your transmission will be gone and you will get a bill of 2500 at least,,,,transmission cooler is around 200-250 fitted. there are threee brands you can trust; b&M, PWR, and motorcraft....and also you have to get your transmission fluid changed to transmaxZ...this make your transmission last much much longer and only this oil wnt demage your transmission....
7) now the biggest change on your car will be diff gears and lsd,,,,if you wana good take off, you have to get your diff gears changed to 4.11 and also get your diff changed to lsd one....this will cost you anywhere around 1400-2400. depends where you go and which parts you use....
8) hi stall converter,,,,this will make you rev much faster and you will pass the lower rpm quiker,,,,ba is very slow car on tha take off because of its weight, but with a hi stall you will get shock....this isnt must but diff gears are must on ba series cars,,,
9) then you can get cams, stage two crow cams. they are normally 850 but there is a guy who sells them for 650 on the fordforums.com.au, and his nick is nosxr...everyone gets from them....if you math your cams with a hi stall, your call will be amazing, you will get 0-100 around 5.2 sec,,,if you get all the works i have listed....
10) now at this point you have to get a custom flash tune. you have to take your to the decent tuner and you have to get your car custom tuned, which is around 500-750 depends on where you go and experience of the tuner....if you are in victoria, i will say bluepower racing which is the best shop in australia/////

This is what i did with my old ba, very worth doing and going about it the way it is on here, it will save you alot of money... Enjoy mate
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 942

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Ride: AU1 XR8

Word of warning AVOID MAGNAFLOW CATS AT ALL COST'S....

Ask yourself this, do i have enough money to do the job again...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 4

Joined: 21st Mar 2013

Ride: xr6 fg

Location: perth
WA, Australia

Thanks alot for all that mate.. its appreciated.

Will take on board what you said and when I have the dollars I'll do just that.
With a 0-100 time of 5.2 I'll be keeping up with the turbo's and the eights:-)

Thanks
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 190

Joined: 14th Sep 2010

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6 206RWKW ;)

Location: greensborough
VIC, Australia

Well my xr6 was running high 11s with the 4.11 so good luck... An always keep a blower in the back of your mind
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 2563

Joined: 19th Feb 2007

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

Location: Lilydale
VIC, Australia

95Fairmontghiav85.0L wrote:
Well my xr6 was running high 11s with the 4.11 so good luck... An always keep a blower in the back of your mind


Your NA XR6 was doing high 11's down the quarter??

 

_________________

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 190

Joined: 14th Sep 2010

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6 206RWKW ;)

Location: greensborough
VIC, Australia

Yeah it was putting out 212rwkws...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 2563

Joined: 19th Feb 2007

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

Location: Lilydale
VIC, Australia

95Fairmontghiav85.0L wrote:
Yeah it was putting out 212rwkws...


so high 11's with 212rwkw, you got time slips with that?

 

_________________

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
95Fairmontghiav85.0L wrote:
Yeah it was putting out 212rwkws...


so high 11's with 212rwkw, you got time slips with that?



sorry im a non believer, ive seen 11 second xr6ts that are pushing 350-380rwkw.
my ed with 270rwkw couldn't get into the 11s....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 2563

Joined: 19th Feb 2007

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

Location: Lilydale
VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:
95Fairmontghiav85.0L wrote:
Yeah it was putting out 212rwkws...


so high 11's with 212rwkw, you got time slips with that?



sorry im a non believer, ive seen 11 second xr6ts that are pushing 350-380rwkw.
my ed with 270rwkw couldn't get into the 11s....


Yeah its some pretty good s**t talking. It seems to dribble out.

 

_________________

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: cai and new exhaust system
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 1273

Joined: 30th Sep 2007

Ride: g6e 2009

Location: hiding in the bushes
WA, Australia

95Fairmontghiav85.0L wrote:
1)go and get second hand xr6 turbo exhaust cat back for 100-150 and another 100 to get it fitted,,,,
2)then go and get your cat converter changed with a magna flow 3" metalcore one,,,they are normally 450fitted at the exhaust shops but go and get one from ebay (get magnaflow brand) around 200 and pay another 80 to get it fitted
3)then get a performance headers. if you have money go and get pacemaker 4490 or 4495 depends on what you wanna do. 4490 for a streeet use and it gives you power at the lower rpm and if you wanna gain power at the high rpm go and get 4495...4495 is for a track mostly...or there is another option and you can go and get a redback brand extractor which is cheaper than pacemaker.
4)then get your air induction changed, dnt have to spend big $$$, just go to ford and but ford fpv typhoon air box kit. you will receive different airbox with a second intake tube on it amd wotha bigger snorkel. this kit will give you decent performance and it is only $170 dolars and very easy fitting, only takes 20 minutes, also you hve to change your air filter to k&N air filter. k&N panel filter is about 70-80 dolars.
5) now you have to get a flash tuner to get your car tuned and this is on special at the moment...you can get it from KPM in NSW or you can get this from Bluepower racing development in Victoria. these two places are selling on a special price of $450-$460 at the moment. they are normally around $600-$700. you will just plug this on your car and it has soem tunes in it and you will press the button and it will upgrade your car's ecu and your car will run better and it will make you gain extra rear wheel kw.
if you do what i have told you up to this point, you will gain 27-30 rear wheel kw easy....if you want more power there are some other options as well to keep getting done...

6) now you have to get a transmission cooler, because factory one is crap and it makes the coolent get in to your transmission and in a time your transmission will be gone and you will get a bill of 2500 at least,,,,transmission cooler is around 200-250 fitted. there are threee brands you can trust; b&M, PWR, and motorcraft....and also you have to get your transmission fluid changed to transmaxZ...this make your transmission last much much longer and only this oil wnt demage your transmission....
7) now the biggest change on your car will be diff gears and lsd,,,,if you wana good take off, you have to get your diff gears changed to 4.11 and also get your diff changed to lsd one....this will cost you anywhere around 1400-2400. depends where you go and which parts you use....
8) hi stall converter,,,,this will make you rev much faster and you will pass the lower rpm quiker,,,,ba is very slow car on tha take off because of its weight, but with a hi stall you will get shock....this isnt must but diff gears are must on ba series cars,,,
9) then you can get cams, stage two crow cams. they are normally 850 but there is a guy who sells them for 650 on the fordforums.com.au, and his nick is nosxr...everyone gets from them....if you math your cams with a hi stall, your call will be amazing, you will get 0-100 around 5.2 sec,,,if you get all the works i have listed....
10) now at this point you have to get a custom flash tune. you have to take your to the decent tuner and you have to get your car custom tuned, which is around 500-750 depends on where you go and experience of the tuner....if you are in victoria, i will say bluepower racing which is the best shop in australia/////

This is what i did with my old ba, very worth doing and going about it the way it is on here, it will save you alot of money... Enjoy mate



as for the airbox, the fpv one with the extra snorkle is for a ba/bf not an fg. for best airbox results on an fg get an fg snorkle and lower box from a fg v8 and remove the restrictor. im pretty sure theres some to be had for about $150 online.

as for the exhaust, once you go changing the exhaust on a bf onwards you hit issues. from the bf series 1 onwards, there has been 2 o2 sensors, one early up near the engine, and one lower down i believe just after the cat. changing your exhaust changes the values these recieve, which set of warning lights on your dash and change how rich or lean your car runs to correct these 'erroneous' codes. to fix these you need to have a flash tune, or have a program flashed onto the ecu to tell the car the second o2 sensor doesnt exist. the flash tune would be better as you should see some power gains from it. its best to wait till the end of doing all mods to tune your car so it doesnt need to be retuned again. i would also gather all the exhaust pieces together, and have them all put on at once to save money, then take it straight to be tuned
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:29 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names