Post subject: CAI legalities
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

G'day,

1. I have heard pod filters are illegal, if they are not boxed (I cant find anywhere on the Vicroads site to say so)
2. I have heard you can have 1 intake mod, anymore and it can be defected. (I cant find anywhere on the Vicroads site to say so)

What I'm wanting to do is have my current setup but have it sealed off when the bonnet is shut. I have just made up an extra section so the pod can sit down and suck air from the SS induction pipe.

I have noticed a difference going from the panel to the pod, sounds heaps better and feels stronger through mid-high.

Just wanting to know whats legal and whats not and if someone could show me where on Vicroads where it says so.

Cheers
Attachment:
Engine 2 .JPG
Engine 2 .JPG [ 130.31 KiB | Viewed 165 times ]
Attachment:
Engine 1.JPG
Engine 1.JPG [ 104.22 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]
Attachment:
engine 3.jpg
engine 3.jpg [ 86.06 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Post subject: Re: CAI legalities
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

im not 100% sure with victoria but in NSW everything said about the rules is 100% true and vicroads and NSW rules are generally pretty much the same

pod filters are illegal unboxed due to they create alot of noise unboxed and its classified as noise pollution

if you count my holy panel air filter (they will never see it) and my BA intake and GT cold intake as separate mods ive got 3 air intake mods but they have the genuine ford labells on them and most coppers around here have no idea so i can just go "mate see it has the ford label must be factory original" and because they are all dunnydore men and have no idea what my car even is they just go "oh ok" and ive also been told you can claim the air intake mods are for efficiency i nice little loop hole by the sounds of it :D

some panels filters suck when compared to pods as pods are a high flow air filter so you gotta compare it against other high flow panel filters(you prob know this but ive seen alot of people compared dirty old paper filters to pods seems to be a common mistake)

and design would say your better off with a box so you can have a cold air intake instead of a hot intake from your motor as colder air has more oxygen and will burn better :)

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I had a K&N panel before and this is a BMC pod. The exhaust is alot louder than the induction noise and my exhaust is legal. I'm just trying to find hard evidence as to if they are illegal. Some police care and some don't.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

true mate some care some dont some just get jealous of your nice car
all the dunnydore coppers pull me over and try to defect me or something but half way through it most of em admit they dont even know what model my car is and i just say "its a NF its closely related and almost the same as a DF" then they just look stumped its fun :D all the ford coppers pull me over just for a chat and to know if they are real ROH 3 piece (currently) or if they are genuine Simmons B45's (before) so ya you get some nice one and some genuine pigs

K&N despite common belief arnt the best high flow you can get in panels my research indicated a holly powershot has much more potential and at high revs you can hear the air its sucking in and its really loud like a compressor blowing (non of my mates with pods can do that but they have supercheap pods for like $20)

its pretty hard to find the rules about car modifications on the NSW site to seems to be like a secret or something but i did find em once so the vicroads is prob the same

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

why do people bother with pods anyway if they are unboxed, they just sit in your engine bay sucking in hot air. Good old K&N Filter in the stock box with a good snorkel is the way to go if you ask me

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I can feel there is already more power. Maybe on a hot day where it might get heat soaked sitting in traffic it would probably be better going with box. I just want it seal off.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

wtbdlltd wrote:
why do people bother with pods anyway if they are unboxed, they just sit in your engine bay sucking in hot air. Good old K&N Filter in the stock box with a good snorkel is the way to go if you ask me

because a high flow panel filter costs $100+ but a pod filter can be bought for roughly $20 at supercheap and they are "cool"

edit: another thing ive noticed about pod filters is they get dirty very quickly and this would be due to they dont have the surface area a panel filter has so more air is concentrated through a smaller area and that is also a reason why i choose panel filter over pod

Last edited by Fordsrule174 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

From what I know...VicRoads accepts pod filters as legal, as long as it is fixed properly and doesn't dangle. Also something to do with a single intake mod rule...so if there seems to be 2 modifications done to the intake, such as filter and 3" steel intake, you may be defected.

Even though VicRoads accepts correctly installed pod filters, coppers seem to hand out defects notices for them...not sure if the ADR/rules and regulations have been passed onto the coppers for proper defect notices or they are just thrown out there to fine people.

In the end, the copper can defect you even though it isn't defected, you have to go fix it and pay the fine. Not sure if it's worth contesting.

Anyways, there is one huge gap between VicRoads and Police...obviously the Police aren't properly updated with current rules and regulations or not trained on that matter. This sucks because innocent people are being found guilty without proof of evidence.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
wtbdlltd wrote:

because a high flow panel filter costs $100+ but a pod filter can be bought for roughly $20 at supercheap and they are "cool"

Cool for 16yr olds in jap cars yes maybe and if you cant afford a cheap $100 on something for your car dont bother modding it

Not arguing with ya thats just my opinion

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Its all about the surface area when trying to argue about pod vs panel filter. Generally a pod has a greater surface area than a panel filter of the same size, approximately 3x the surface area and in some cases a fair bit more.
Also another issue about legallities is the rist of an exposed paper pod filter catching fire in some situations.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

with the defect thing i would say most people getting defects for pods and stuff like that are being smart a*** to the cops. iv been pulled over with a missing indicator, bold rears, exhaust unbolted from the cat back, and i was just nice to the copa and we just said next time he see's me car it better all be fixed.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

there ya go pods filter are legal in victoria ya learn something new everyday

and i agree with phongus they prob still would defect you as ya some cops are just pure a**'s or just have no clue as a mate of mine got asked to turn his headlights on without his parkers on by a copper that was defecating him for factory things

and all the pods ive seen in person have no were near the surface area of my panel filter but thats prob why they are so cheap at supercheap

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah, i find attitude to the police is weather you will be fined or not. I don't see why people are smart a**'s to them, it doesn't help you in anyway what so ever. Maybe I will give Vicroads a call, but my guess is they wont have a clue either.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

wtbdlltd wrote:
with the defect thing i would say most people getting defects for pods and stuff like that are being smart a*** to the cops. iv been pulled over with a missing indicator, bold rears, exhaust unbolted from the cat back, and i was just nice to the copa and we just said next time he see's me car it better all be fixed.

And are you going to fix it or be the typical forum newbie who brags about this as if its perfectly legal?

Fordsrule174 wrote:
and all the pods ive seen in person have no were near the surface area of my panel filter but thats prob why they are so cheap at supercheap

I'm talking for the same basic dimensions.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Here's a link to the EPA regulations that refer to what is acceptable with vehicle modifications. Looks like I'm going to have problems with an intercooler and pod filter in a home-made air box (for a Raptor supercharger installation). :roll:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0007341124 ... ifications

Here's an extract:

" (a) Open element or pod type air cleaners on
carburetted vehicles are not permitted.

(b) Dry element pod type air cleaners are permitted on EFI vehicles. Oiled, oil-soaked or
fluid-treated elements are not permitted. Anysensors integral to the original system must
be retrofitted to the same approximate location."

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next