Fordmods Logo

Cam and air intake 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Cam and air intake
Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 04 BA Mk2 Xr6

Hey guys, i know there are threads about the cams and that, but what i want to know is, i have a 96 EL GLi, i am about to change the cam in it, im looking for more of low end torque (1636?) but not to use to much extra fuel. I mainly drive around town, but there are spots of open road where you can plant it. So i was wondering, out of the 1636, 1637 (needs to rev to high i think) and 977b, which do youse think would serve best

And im also changing the air intake, i have an aunger CAI, im going to be replacing to air box with the EF so i can put a pod on it, but i was wondering if the xr6T BA intake from the box to throttle body will fit an EL?

Post subject: Re: Cam and air intake
Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:46 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Wagon

ACT, Australia

If you're after low end torque, the stock cam is probably best. You'll probably loose a little torque below 1500rpm with even a 1636, but gain about 10rwkw and a stronger midrange. If it's an auto I'd go with a 1636.

If you improve the air intake, you might end up with a rougher idle, something to bear in mind if you intend putting in a larger cam.

With fuel economy, mine improved a little with the 1636, but I'm not thrashing it all the time.

96 EF Wagon, PRINS VSI LPG, Wade 1636, 4480's, Redback zorst, Metalcat, 3 angle valve job, .5mm overbore, hypertec pistons, shaved head (because the head was banana shaped when I brought it), Tickford 16" alloys, KYB shocks, 30mm sway bar, 1 1/2 degrees negative camber, tow bar, roof racks.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:50 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

96el wrote:
Hey guys, i know there are threads about the cams and that, but what i want to know is, i have a 96 EL GLi, i am about to change the cam in it, im looking for more of low end torque (1636?) but not to use to much extra fuel. I mainly drive around town, but there are spots of open road where you can plant it. So i was wondering, out of the 1636, 1637 (needs to rev to high i think) and 977b, which do youse think would serve best

And im also changing the air intake, i have an aunger CAI, im going to be replacing to air box with the EF so i can put a pod on it, but i was wondering if the xr6T BA intake from the box to throttle body will fit an EL?

Don't expect better fuel economy if you are going to be a lead foot. If you want economy drive like a granny, but what's the point of having the extra power?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Well I'm the typical green plater that wants a bit more response, I realise that the air intake will make a rougher idle but I don't really mind, but because I'm looking for response and low end torque I was thinking about th 1636 . Its usually revved at about 1500+ while I'm cruising,,but when I take off I may plant it abit,so just not to sure about which one to get, cause I was looking at getting it tomorrow

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

96el wrote:
I mainly drive around town, but there are spots of open road where you can plant it.

therin lies your problem, you cant have both. Around town low end torque is great, but on the highway when it drops back a gear it will run out of puff. The 1636 is a great mild cam, cant really notice its there but its a cam that Ford should have fitted from the factory

The 977b is a good choice as it sacrifices a little bottom end, but gives a lot more up top but yet still runs out of puff before redline. You would need at least new XR6 valve springs and a tune to get the most out of it

The 1521a is a good cam that makes power all the way to the redline, but is doughy donw low

Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Well im looking for something for around 1000-4000 rpm , so that would be 1636 or 977b?
I hardy ever do highway driving so that doesnt really bother me

What your opinions on the air intake to the throttle body?

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

For running mostly 1000-4000rpm, the 1636 would be more appropriate. The 977b would probably give away more below 2500rpm than you would be happy with.

For air intake mods, I can recommend:
- EL GT snorkel - I believe these are still available from Ford dealers and at a reasonable price
- A good panel filter (K&N, Simota, etc)
- 3" custom airbox exit and BA induction tube (see www.fordmods.com/post1236799.html)
That should give you much improved breathing for not a lot of cash. See also www.autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_107828/article.html for more information and test results.

Hey, EF Wagon and 96el: Not to hijack the thread, but why would a less restrictive induction system cause a rough idle? I wasn't aware of that effect. Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EB Ghia

VIC, Australia

If your in city a 1636 is all you need.
Highway a 977B is the choice. If you overtake from 90 you'll easily be doing 140+ by the time you get past. Awesome cam for second gear in an auto.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Sorry for the late reply, been doing other things
Just looking around (i have looked at this site before), but on crow cams, do yous know what is involved in the EA-EL stage 3 cam, like what needs to be done for it, when it kicks in etc, and if the cams where the same, the EF mild performance cam, same questions, and EA-EF custom cam?
and also the CAMTECH CT006 848?

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

bump

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

96el wrote:
Sorry for the late reply, been doing other things
Just looking around (i have looked at this site before), but on crow cams, do yous know what is involved in the EA-EL stage 3 cam, like what needs to be done for it, when it kicks in etc, and if the cams where the same, the EF mild performance cam, same questions, and EA-EF custom cam?
and also the CAMTECH CT006 848?

To start with, all e-series cams are the same ea-el.
Crow cams are s**t.
I've been on a waiting list for CamTech for 6 months and still can't get a cam. So don't bother.
Just get a regrind from Wade. Easiest option.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

yeah, well i was just going to get the 1636, problem (well not a problem, just an annoyance) is sending mine back to em, but i suppose that i shall do that then

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

96el wrote:
yeah, well i was just going to get the 1636, problem (well not a problem, just an annoyance) is sending mine back to em, but i suppose that i shall do that then

Get a stock cam off ebay or wreckers for $20 bucks, send it off and they'll regrind it for you.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]