Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: cam/chip problem
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

hey all

posting on behalf of a mate (Smackdown) - hes away this weekend and needs a hand...

he bought johno's (SVO XR6) old cam off him - a stage 3 crow cam, with a chiptorque chip. went into the car yesterday, however the thing wont click over with the chip in - there is no dust/s**t etc on the chip or anything, and it plugs in fine.

my thinking is that because johno's was an EL, and remis is an EF, the issue will be in regards to the dizzy/coilpack differences between the models - would this be a correct assumption? the fact it starts (but idles rough as guts as you'd expect) without the chip adds to this theory - yes? :?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Last edited by uglybob on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG II G6E TURBO

VIC, Australia

yeah answered you own q mate, also his car is manual so that will more than likely make a difference if his isnt

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Frasier.... most likely the chip is incompatible between the two EECs.

I know when i had mine prepared by CAPA, they needed the catch code for the EEC as different catch codes have different memory addresses for the data and probably for the scalars etc.

I believe these chips are reprogrammable so may be able to get it sent off and have the appropriate data loaded onto the chip.

Did you clean the J# connector thoroughly? (i.e. remove casing from EEC and clean all terminals). As when i installed mine, there was a tiny amount of jizz left on one of the terminals and the car did some stange things (didnt idle, thermos stuck on) until i removed it all and cleaned again.....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

yep both cars are manuals - so really the problem is in regards to the EEC's - appears remi may have to send off his chip to be reprogrammed to fir the EF EEC (as its currently set for the EL EEC).

what benefits is he going to gain from the chip? i assume a more stable idle, as the cam is a stage 3 billet?

also, the chips - can they be done (i.e. reprogrammed) when a dyno is run on the vehicle as well?

oh and martin - i was told it was cleaned well before chip was installed, as per instructions. the fact it doesn't fire over at all would indicate that it isn't just the fact that its dirty, but that its incompatible, as has been established

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Before sending anywhere, might be worth making sure a reprogram is possible. I assume any chiptorque seller could tell you this.

As i understand it, the EL and EF I6 EEC is radically different so you want to make sure the EL chip can be re done to suit the EF.

Not sure about dyno tuning a chiptorque or if these are done on "the bench". Pretty sure unichip is done in real time... certainly worth looking into tho. Yeah i think idle and driveability would be the key difference...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

there isnt a place in W.A to get them real tuned. Bit sucky.

I remembered that mine did the same, for the reason of the jizz on the socket.

I fell like a d**k, but the guy said it would be fine :(
the chip will make it idle/cruise smoother and ajust the A/F and timing to suit.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Cheers fraser for posting this for me...

So do you reckon that I should pull the ECC apart and clean it again? then see if the chip works. Then if it doesn't I should send it off with a dyno sheet and and Air Fuel Sheet to chiptorque?

Is there anyone here that can dyno and tune it all at once. one of my mates at work said that chiptorque use dyno dynamics and that someone might be able to flash it there.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Futura

WA, Australia

rem, come down the drags on wednesday. do a before and after chip time.

im gonna run mine.

94 ED Futura, 5spd, RPM clutch,3.27 LSD, PH4480 pacemakers, 2.5'' Supercat, STG 2 Wade1004-112 advanced16degrees, XH intake K&N panel,pedders superlows, Expursuit puter. clearindicators, volvoTT thermofan
15.3@146kph
Alpine deck,splits,rears, clarion amp P1Crossfire subboofa, tint

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

FastFutura wrote:
rem, come down the drags on wednesday. do a before and after chip time.

im gonna run mine.

he needs the chip so his car will actually idle, and have the correct A/F ratios - not to get him down the 1/4 any faster...

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

a unichip is tuned on teh dyno im pretty sure chiptorque are just programmed at the manufacturer

Nicko

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Neo_nick wrote:
a unichip is tuned on teh dyno im pretty sure chiptorque are just programmed at the manufacturer

Ok, here's what I've done.
I called up Chip Torque and it costs $100 to re-flash the chip so I raced down to the post office and sent it to them ASAP on express post with a list of all the mods done to my car.

Expecting it back on Thursday or Friday.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Post subject: Re: cam/chip problem
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Build# 499 BF F6 TYPHOON DEJA VU

VIC, Australia

uglybob wrote:
hey all

posting on behalf of a mate (Smackdown) - hes away this weekend and needs a hand...

he bought johno's (SVO XR6) old cam off him - a stage 3 crow cam, with a chiptorque chip. went into the car yesterday, however the thing wont click over with the chip in - there is no dust/s**t etc on the chip or anything, and it plugs in fine.

my thinking is that because johno's was an EL, and remis is an EF, the issue will be in regards to the dizzy/coilpack differences between the models - would this be a correct assumption? the fact it starts (but idles rough as guts as you'd expect) without the chip adds to this theory - yes? :?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :wink:

cleaning it again won't do anything,, chiptorque is programmed for the individule ecu, he's gotta get it done to his computer, you gotta send the chip back to chiptorque, and his ECU # to get it done

232.5 RW KILLER WASPS

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

Smackdown wrote:
Neo_nick wrote:

Ok, here's what I've done.
I called up Chip Torque and it costs $100 to re-flash the chip so I raced down to the post office and sent it to them ASAP on express post with a list of all the mods done to my car.

Expecting it back on Thursday or Friday.

good to hear, hope it all works out 4 ya

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]