Fordmods Logo

Cam choice for i6 el falcon 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 44

Posts: 131

Joined: 1st Sep 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Well if no one can give me a sure fire answer on this what else can i do for performance that is good dollar value while still keeping reliability and fuel economy. in other words i dont mean spending $400 on some wierd a** intake pipe and gaining 1/2 a killowatt!

 

_________________

what is it with these wankers and their pod filters.....f#*ken too fast too furious crap! You do realise that big suck noise is for your engine and not your member.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
im pretty sure EL hybrids dont need a tune... just because the rocker ratio is 1.8 instead of 2.0 shouldnt make a difference just need a cam to suit that, The computer cant tell there difference. or am i way off?


Wade cams, a sponsor here, says theyve been trying to develop a cam for the AU and the 'hybrid' EL's without any luck?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

au2man wrote:
Well if no one can give me a sure fire answer on this what else can i do for performance that is good dollar value while still keeping reliability and fuel economy. in other words i dont mean spending $400 on some wierd a** intake pipe and gaining 1/2 a killowatt!


Theres a sticky in the 6 cylinder section with a basic rundown on what improvements you can make.

First thing i'd do is the cam & the exhaust..... or just the exhaust if your gonna have problems fitting one (hybrid head blah blah)

OR you will find money better spent on a different diff ratio, say 4.11's at the extreme end of the scale will give you much quicker accelaration and will feel like a different car. Then you have to fit a speedo corrector as it will throw your readings out, which im happy to give advice on.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 44

Posts: 131

Joined: 1st Sep 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
au2man wrote:
Well if no one can give me a sure fire answer on this what else can i do for performance that is good dollar value while still keeping reliability and fuel economy. in other words i dont mean spending $400 on some wierd a** intake pipe and gaining 1/2 a killowatt!


Theres a sticky in the 6 cylinder section with a basic rundown on what improvements you can make.

First thing i'd do is the cam & the exhaust..... or just the exhaust if your gonna have problems fitting one (hybrid head blah blah)

OR you will find money better spent on a different diff ratio, say 4.11's at the extreme end of the scale will give you much quicker accelaration and will feel like a different car. Then you have to fit a speedo corrector as it will throw your readings out, which im happy to give advice on.

Im new to this.... how do i find this sticky you are talking about?

 

_________________

what is it with these wankers and their pod filters.....f#*ken too fast too furious crap! You do realise that big suck noise is for your engine and not your member.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

Go to the top of this thread where it say "Forum Index -> 6 Cylinder Workshop" and click on the "6 cylinder workshop" link.

Then you will find at the top of the thread lists a sticky called "Inline 6 modification guide"
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 44

Posts: 131

Joined: 1st Sep 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Go to the top of this thread where it say "Forum Index -> 6 Cylinder Workshop" and click on the "6 cylinder workshop" link.

Then you will find at the top of the thread lists a sticky called "Inline 6 modification guide"

Thanks ill have a look !

 

_________________

what is it with these wankers and their pod filters.....f#*ken too fast too furious crap! You do realise that big suck noise is for your engine and not your member.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

I cant really find any sticky explaining diff swaps, but if you do a search using the function at the top of the page you will see its a very worthwhile mod, especially for auto equipped falcons, as 1st gear is unbearably long and slow, which a shorter ratio diff will fix
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 197

Joined: 5th Jun 2007

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AUIII XR6 HP

Power: 137 rwkw

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

The AU engine had a different computer which doesnt favour cam upgrades without a flash tuner/piggyback. The later model EL's same thing.

 

_________________

PACEMAKER 4480, SS H/F CAT, 2.5" REDBACK, INTAKE PIPING, K&N PANEL, PIONEER TV

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

FORD4EVA wrote:
The AU engine had a different computer which doesnt favour cam upgrades without a flash tuner/piggyback. The later model EL's same thing.


yep thats what i heard too, but why would the EL hybrid have probs when its using the same ecu as the earlier EL's?

Unless im mistaken....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2839

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

Location: parramatta
NSW, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/crescent ... t-f48.html

 

_________________

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:53 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names