Fordmods Logo

Cam into EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Cam into EL
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

How hard and what tools would I need to put a cam into my EL. And what cost would I be looking at to get a mechanic to do it?

VENOM RED AUII XR8 220

See it here.
www.aufalcon.com/redxr347

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 02 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Its easy as piss mate pop tappet cover off, wind the engine over 2 top dead centre no1 by taking spark plug outa no 1 and feeling for compression, then line up ya timing marks on ya crankshaft pulley. so now u know its top dead centre number 1 and not number 6
pull tappet cover and all that other s**t off. pull ya power steering pump out and take ya timing chain tensioner out. make sure u get all the parts of the tensioner out then u gota put all the tension back together coz it comes apart a** u take it out. crack the 17 mm bolt on the cam shaft gear. undo ya cam shaft jornal caps in sequence like a snail shell, eg 2 middle then 2 behind it then 2 in front then 2 behind the last 1s ect. undo all the bolts but dont pull it all apart yet take out the bolt on the chain gear and take the gear of the cam shaft but not outa the chain.
put a cable tie around the timing get so it doesnt fall down. take the cam caps off and pop the cam shaft out. clean down ya cam shaft tunnel in ya head and make sure they are not really gouged out or scratched. clean camshaft down with prepsol or something. rub engine oil on the cam jornals and a smear of grese on the lobes, like that moley grease s**t. and do everything in revese order. then pop the fuel relay and the spark plugs out and crank it over till the oil pressure light goes off. put the spark plugs and fuel pressure relay back in.

I dont know how wild ya cam is, if its aggressive it might f**k ya map sensor up, ive heard it u disconnect ya battery for like an hour and then go flog the crap outa the car it comes good, but i havent had 1st hand experience at this though.

this is a rough explination, if u dont understand it ur prolly betta off getting a mechanic to do it coz if u f**k the cam timing up ull be up 4 alot more than just a new cam shaft.

Note, i recommend u get a mechanic to do this coz if u are asking how to do it then u shouldnt be doing it to start with. no offence just coving my a** bro. Later
Tom

Last edited by Tom Sethack on Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 02 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

might charge 300 to fit it at a guess though

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]