Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: BA Cams for XR6
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:57 am 
Commercial Sponsor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

venom red wrote:
Hay XRCIST. I have turbo intake, KN Filter, Extractors & Exhaust. My car doesn't idle too well either and occasionally stalls & won't start. Ford are blaming the Exhaust and won't do anything about it, but a mate in QLD has a BA XR6 completely stock and has the same problems.

Yeah, ford know about this problem and i have heard alot of people complaining about it. The only known fix that im aware of and that many people have done is the edit. Its pretty pathetic having to use an aftermarket product to fix a factory problem. :x
Anyway what extractors and exhaust do u have on your car Venom red and how does it go with all those mods?

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Mine's going in for a dyno run tommorow morning, will post the results. Pacey extractors, Lukey 2.5" zorst and cai.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:42 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

fnp wrote:
Mine's going in for a dyno run tommorow morning, will post the results. Pacey extractors, Lukey 2.5" zorst and cai.

Awesome, have you dynoed the car when it was stock? :)

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I'm back.

Unfortunately, I didn't run it before the mods, so I can't say the exact difference. However, it just pulled 160rwkw which I guess is somewhere around 230kw at the engine, assuming a 30% drivetrain loss. Their printer has run out of ink so I can't get the readout for a few says :( Will post when I get it.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:17 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

fnp wrote:
I'm back.

Unfortunately, I didn't run it before the mods, so I can't say the exact difference. However, it just pulled 160rwkw which I guess is somewhere around 230kw at the engine, assuming a 30% drivetrain loss. Their printer has run out of ink so I can't get the readout for a few says :( Will post when I get it.

Very impressive fnp thats a great result :D How does the 160rwkw feel like compared to stock? What CAi do you have, is it an SS inductions kit?
Cheers, George

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The airbox has been replaced by a cylindrical-shaped one containing a pod filter. It has two intakes, one in the standard six-cylinder spot on the engine bay lip and another like the V8's going underneath the headlamp. The car certainly feels stronger then standard - to be honest, I didn't think it would get this much power from relatively minor mods. Can't wait to get a bit more out of it :D

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

fnp wrote:
The airbox has been replaced by a cylindrical-shaped one containing a pod filter. It has two intakes, one in the standard six-cylinder spot on the engine bay lip and another like the V8's going underneath the headlamp. The car certainly feels stronger then standard - to be honest, I didn't think it would get this much power from relatively minor mods. Can't wait to get a bit more out of it :D

Get an edit or a piggyback chip and your car will feel different again, 160rwkw is very good but 175-185 rwkw is acheivable.
I have pretty much the same mods as you + performance plugs, shiftkit and a piggyback chip. Mine was dynoed at 193rwkw......but is more like 180rwkw I reckon according to my 1/4 mile run. (Dyno's are just a tuning tool IMO) Do you have LSD ??

Simon

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:23 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

fnp wrote:

Yeah thats what im going to do, im picking up the xr8 intake from ford tommorrow and put it onto the airbox so it draws air from behind the headlamp. Its costing me about $60. Im not expecting a huge increase from this mod but hey, every little bit counts. :D

Hey Simon how's it going, have you bought the VCT controller for the xr6 yet?

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

XRCIST wrote:
fnp wrote:

Yeah thats what im going to do, im picking up the xr8 intake from ford tommorrow and put it onto the airbox so it draws air from behind the headlamp. Its costing me about $60. Im not expecting a huge increase from this mod but hey, every little bit counts. :D

Hey Simon how's it going, have you bought the VCT controller for the xr6 yet?

Hopefully the VCT controller will be ready to install on Tuesday this week.....fingers crossed. Still has not been tested properly on a car but I have said I will be the test pilot.
Willowbank here I come!!

Simon

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

If you are in Perth mate then I suggest you get in touch with Simon from Xtreme Ford Tuning. He is doing wonders with the Ford edit and would have to be one of the better tuners in the country at the moment!

According to what has been indicated on other forums and from what tuners have said. The NA engine should see a 15-20rwkw gain and the torque limiters are removed making the car a bit of an animal. They can also adjust the shift behaviour in the auto and make it s**t a lot quicker etc!

Have you got any sound files of you car? I have seen a white XR6 (NA 5sp) at the Motorplex a few times and this thing sounded nothing like any other 6cyl Falcon with an exhaust.

Good luck!

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Now decided that the car needs more grunt, and an edit will be done as soon as I have the $$ :)

How will the gearbox hold up under the strain? It'll be getting not too far off XR8 power output, and I seem to remember the auto XR8 being delayed while the gearbox was strengthed. Was that to withstand the extra power or the V8 torque? I don't think a six will be as torquey as the V8..

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

fnp wrote:
Now decided that the car needs more grunt, and an edit will be done as soon as I have the $$ :)

How will the gearbox hold up under the strain? It'll be getting not too far off XR8 power output, and I seem to remember the auto XR8 being delayed while the gearbox was strengthed. Was that to withstand the extra power or the V8 torque? I don't think a six will be as torquey as the V8..

Good decision fnp with the edit mate, it will be worth it :wink: As far as gearbox stress goes, you shouldn't have any problems. The guys at CAPA have fitted a supercharger to a BA 6 ute putting out 230rwkw at 9psi of boost and throughout the development process, they havent come across any problems so it should cope alright. Anyway good luck with your mods.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

fnp wrote:

You wont have quite the same power output as the XR8 (260fwkw) but with edit or Piggyback chip you should get around 175-180rwkw = Approx. 235-240fwkw with torque gains of around 100Nm when tuned correctly.
Gearbox should be fine but driveline could suffer....I'm on my second diff and maybe looking at number 3 shortly.

If you have a single spinner you may struggle with traction.......I have a LSD and I struggle, mainly in wet weather though.

Cheers,
Simon

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

[url]members.iinet.net.au/~fnp/BA.wav[/url]

Sorry for the poor quality.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2