Fordmods Logo

cams and gears 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: cams and gears
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford falcon AU2 6cyl auto

SA, Australia

talking to a few poeple i have been told to upgrade my cam and gears for more power. how will this effect my econemy? where do i start to look at products? can anyone give me some starting points?

i have already got:
ss cold air intake
2.5" exhaust with extractors
lowered / hardended suspension.

my goal is to get over 150k/w at the rear treads without loosing any econemy.

im in adelaide

Last edited by fpvhavoc on Fri May 22, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: cams and gears
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

you only have one cam

look in the sponsors section, two of them make a range of performance cams

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

If you want economy don't modify the car. part of gaining power is loosing economy somewhere in the cars rev range. Bit of a catch 22. diff gears will destroy your economy especially changing them in an auto form the stock 3.08 to the ideal 4.11 or 3.90. No more 600km out of a tank for you. The upgrade in performance is well worth the extra fuel though.

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Is the car auto or manual?

To get to around 150rwkw id say you'd need a bit more than just a cam and cam gear. Sure you might be able to get a big cam to give you that power, but depending on how big it is you may need uprated springs, bit of headwork etc. As for economy, it depends how big a cam you go and how you drive the car, bigger cams will be using more fuel to make the power and if your planting the right foot all the time of course fuel economy is gonna be worse

Theres many places out there that do cams that will give you good power, etc so its best to talk to the likes of Wade or CMS so they can tell you what you'll need to get that power.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

What do you want out of the car? Only asking because saying 150rwkw isn't exactly helpful in answering your question.

Best way to maintain economy and get a quick car would be manual conversion, cam and headwork to suit. You would further increase both economy and power with a tune.

If you just get a cam you could make that power, but on a stock engine it would have to be something big and your economy will go out the window.

3.7 - 4.11 diff gears are great for the auto, but you will notice a loss of highway economy. Around town the difference is negligable though. I ran 3.7's in my last car and did a lot of highway driving and noticed a bit over 50km difference per tank (more or less depending on speed).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford falcon AU2 6cyl auto

SA, Australia

my goal is not to get 150rwkw from 1 mod its just the nice rounded number i picked as my aim. thats why im trying to keep econemy in mind aswell. get the best econemy i can with 150rwkw. i know i will loose some econemy but thats where what mods i do and dont do will play there role.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fpvhavoc wrote:
my goal is not to get 150rwkw from 1 mod its just the nice rounded number i picked as my aim. thats why im trying to keep econemy in mind aswell. get the best econemy i can with 150rwkw. i know i will loose some econemy but thats where what mods i do and dont do will play there role.

If you try to aim for 150rwkw, be ready to lose heaps of economy, especially metro driving. You might actually have better fuel eco on highway driving as I have found out, though metro driving, you're pretty much screwed.

With the mods I have below I get good economy on the highway, but take it out for a spin in the city, I almost double my economy (8L/100km highway, 15L+/100km metro).

If you aim at something like 130rwkw, you might just be in the middle some how...but that's just not worth the effort. You will soon forget about economy when you put your foot down.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

wow phongus

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU with J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5" High flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Post whore 2006 =P~

ur makin that kinda power with just those mods

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I hope this isn't going to turn into an arguement over max power read outs, which in the end are useless for comparison of engines on their own or unless you are in a dyno comp or trying to pull maximum velocity out of a car.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Come to the dyno day, get a reading.
We can work out what mods need to be done from that.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

james88 wrote:
wow phongus

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU with J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5" High flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Post whore 2006 =P~

ur makin that kinda power with just those mods

Got that reading from dyno day. The only thing I forgot to mention on that list is T5 conversion, which made a hell of a lot of difference compared to the rest of the mods. At the time of the dyno I didn't have the J3 chip, not sure what the power is now...but as skidder mentioned, max power read outs are pretty useless. It's the torque you are after and even then, only the drag strip will tell if it made much of a difference at all.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]