Cams for a reason 

Page 3 of 6 [ 90 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Cams for a reason
Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Basically yes. Take your foot off the brake and the car still moves forward. Its just when you are on the brake and give it a bit of gas, you will rev a bit more than stock before the car wants to launch or turn the tires.

Once you start going over something like 3500rpm then the converter is too loose for the street. That's when you actually have to give it a slight rev to actually get the car to move off the line. People like it cause its a characteristic of a "tuff" car, but on a day to day basis it would be a downright C*** to drive.

OK....one more, don get mad how does the stally no to...lol stall be4 engaging whilst braking and excellerating at the same time? does it sense friction and locks? before the RPM then once its triggered by the stallys max rpm it re-engages?

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

just like doing a hill start in an auto

the converter slips like f**k because it can feel the resistance of the hill, same as applying the brake and revving it up

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thankyou very much guys i belive the penny's have dropped and the pelican, has left the building!!

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 5 speed ford el

SA, Australia

just do a manual conversion ya soft C**k :lol:

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

samm wrote:
just do a manual conversion ya soft C**k :lol:

:lol: :lol: its to hard man!! i gotta get someone else to do it and that equals $$$

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

The oil pump in the gearbox pumps oil back out through the input shaft and into the converter. Inside the converter you have two sets of blades. One set brazed onto the housing and another set onto a central plate (where the gearbox input shaft fits into). Because the converter is bolted to the flex plate on the engine (engines with auto transmissions have flex plates instead of flywheels). The converter housing turns and so do the blades internal blades attached to the housing. Now you've got high pressure oil pumped into the converter which is sloshed around between a moving set and stationary set of blades. If you increase the speed of the moving set of blades, then eventually the stationary set of blades will have to turn no matter what.

That's an incredibly dumbed down version of hoe it all works. Any dumber and we all might as well sit around a camp-fire smoking bongs singing kumbaya.

Here's a technically correct explanation
http://www.acceleratorhighstall.com.au/ ... s_work.htm

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
The oil pump in the gearbox pumps oil back out through the input shaft and into the converter. Inside the converter you have two sets of blades. One set brazed onto the housing and another set onto a central plate (where the gearbox input shaft fits into). Because the converter is bolted to the flex plate on the engine (engines with auto transmissions have flex plates instead of flywheels). The converter housing turns and so do the blades internal blades attached to the housing. Now you've got high pressure oil pumped into the converter which is sloshed around between a moving set and stationary set of blades. If you increase the speed of the moving set of blades, then eventually the stationary set of blades will have to turn no matter what.

That's an incredibly dumbed down version of hoe it all works. Any dumber and we all might as well sit around a camp-fire smoking bongs singing kumbaya.

Here's a technically correct explanation
http://www.acceleratorhighstall.com.au/ ... s_work.htm

:shock:
lol cool and i just tested the 2000RPM stock stally theory...BOGUS!!! Mine just started to spin with a flat brake!

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

stock stally is 2000rpm.

Only way to find out is with a transbrake. That's when you force your box to pull 2 gears at once (usually first and reverse but can be first and 2nd). The car won't move an inch. Smash your foot to the floor and the revs will climb to about 2000rpm.

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Why is it that you make me want to reach through the interwebs, grab you by the collar and wallop you?

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Why is it that you make me want to reach through the interwebs, grab you by the collar and wallop you?

:lol: Maaan, i dunno because im a little slow :cry:
Anywho, ok so trans brake....ya no what im gonna ask next dont ya's??? :shock:

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

yes you need a transbrake, thats what you need

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

My cam is only moderate, but with the other mods the engine pulls hardest from 3000-5500rpm. With the stock converter (2100rpm stall) it was sluggish off the line or would smoke em up if held against the brake then released.

I had the stock converter modified for higher stall (ended up at 2900rpm with the brake on), and the car is transformed. It matches the cam perfectly. I runs fairly normal at part throttle, still creeps at idle, but does run a few more rpms tooling around in the lower gears. There is a bit more "flare" between gears as the converter slips more at low rpm. The fuel economy around town is worse, as it is running higher rpms and getting more slip in the converter. But it locks up like normal above 80kmh, so highway fuel economy is not affected.

The big benefit is on full-throttle or high-throttle launch. It jumps straight into the power band when I step on the gas, and I have to back off to 80% or so to avoid spinning the tyres. I haven't yet tried a launch fully stalled against the brake, but it would melt the tyres for sure. It's a pleasure to drive "enthusiastically", as it's in the power band every time I step on it, but pretty docile driven normally. Best of both worlds, really.

As I have limited slip diff, maybe my experience is different from some others. Traction is borderline at times even with LSD and good tyres, so I imagine it could be a real beast with single-spinner. But even though 95% of my driving is "normal", I'm hugely happy with the stally. (Big thumbs up to Dr Trans in Glenfield.)

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

efxr6wagon wrote:
My cam is only moderate, but with the other mods the engine pulls hardest from 3000-5500rpm. With the stock converter (2100rpm stall) it was sluggish off the line or would smoke em up if held against the brake then released.

I had the stock converter modified for higher stall (ended up at 2900rpm with the brake on), and the car is transformed. It matches the cam perfectly. I runs fairly normal at part throttle, still creeps at idle, but does run a few more rpms tooling around in the lower gears. There is a bit more "flare" between gears as the converter slips more at low rpm. The fuel economy around town is worse, as it is running higher rpms and getting more slip in the converter. But it locks up like normal above 80kmh, so highway fuel economy is not affected.

The big benefit is on full-throttle or high-throttle launch. It jumps straight into the power band when I step on the gas, and I have to back off to 80% or so to avoid spinning the tyres. I haven't yet tried a launch fully stalled against the brake, but it would melt the tyres for sure. It's a pleasure to drive "enthusiastically", as it's in the power band every time I step on it, but pretty docile driven normally. Best of both worlds, really.

As I have limited slip diff, maybe my experience is different from some others. Traction is borderline at times even with LSD and good tyres, so I imagine it could be a real beast with single-spinner. But even though 95% of my driving is "normal", I'm hugely happy with the stally. (Big thumbs up to Dr Trans in Glenfield.)

Mate, I'm so tempted to do that!

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next