Post subject: Re: Cams for a reason
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
Hay ford modders, what do i do?
I have an AU1645 grind by WADE camshafts, its good i like it but its a "Top end cam" without serious work done to my trans a huge cam is not possible.....I wanna take off faster than i can now, do i get a new grind (because someone said you cannot have take off and top end in reguards to cams), or do i change diffs or something? maybe something else? I want a turbo but as its now an N/A car i can still go back to my AU1645 if i decide to force induct it.
What 2 do? What 2 do? :?

Have you got an adjustable cam sprocket fitted???....if so, advance the cam timing about 2* to 4*....this will bring on the power a little earlier......Have you got adjustable ignition timing????....bring that on too, about 14* base, and keep 3* to 4* in front for about half way up the rev range.
Have you dynoed it yet???

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
ford-racer46 wrote:
Hay ford modders, what do i do?
I have an AU1645 grind by WADE camshafts, its good i like it but its a "Top end cam" without serious work done to my trans a huge cam is not possible.....I wanna take off faster than i can now, do i get a new grind (because someone said you cannot have take off and top end in reguards to cams), or do i change diffs or something? maybe something else? I want a turbo but as its now an N/A car i can still go back to my AU1645 if i decide to force induct it.
What 2 do? What 2 do? :?

Have you got an adjustable cam sprocket fitted???....if so, advance the cam timing about 2* to 4*....this will bring on the power a little earlier......Have you got adjustable ignition timing????....bring that on too, about 14* base, and keep 3* to 4* in front for about half way up the rev range.

Nah mate not dyno'd yet ill advance it then, and no i dont have a VCT thanks dude ill try your way, also guys my Tafe teacher explained what a trans brake does has anyone got a pic or something?

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

In drag racing, a transbrake is a setup installed in automatic transmissions which selectively places the transmission in first and reverse gears simultaneously, effectively holding the race car stationary as if the foot brake was applied. The transbrake is activated by the driver by applying electrical current to a solenoid at the transmission. With the transbrake engaged (transmission locked), the engine throttle can be increased to any position (opening) in preparation for launch without the race driver worrying about the car creeping forward. Milliseconds before the green light illuminates on the Tree the transbrake is released (by the driver releasing an electrical switch or by a delay box "timing out" originally triggered by the driver releasing an electrical switch) and the car launches forward, its engine already in the higher power band and the transmission already in low gear. It was invented by Steve McQueen in the year 1977

CAN SOME ONE VERIFY????

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

ford-racer46 - if you dont want your cam, I'll buy it off ya. This would suit my supercharged application well.

Cheers
Shav

Last edited by shav on Thu May 20, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
cjh wrote:

Nah mate not dyno'd yet ill advance it then, and no i dont have a VCT thanks dude ill try your way, also guys my Tafe teacher explained what a trans brake does has anyone got a pic or something?

Where did he mention VCT (Variable Cam Timing) ? A vernier gear is not VCT, do not get them mixed up. VCT changes cam position as you drive via ecu, a vernier is something you physically set (its a cam sprocket) before you drive the car.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

shav wrote:
ford-racer46 - if you dont want your cam, I'll buy it off ya. This would suit my supercharged application well.

If i get a new one ill let ya no or i have a spare Stock AU cam ill just give ya if you pay for post

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:56 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

my el wagon has 4.11's, sits on about 2800-2950 rpm at 110 k's with 20 inch wheels.
done.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
In drag racing, a transbrake is a setup installed in automatic transmissions which selectively places the transmission in first and reverse gears simultaneously, effectively holding the race car stationary as if the foot brake was applied. The transbrake is activated by the driver by applying electrical current to a solenoid at the transmission. With the transbrake engaged (transmission locked), the engine throttle can be increased to any position (opening) in preparation for launch without the race driver worrying about the car creeping forward. Milliseconds before the green light illuminates on the Tree the transbrake is released (by the driver releasing an electrical switch or by a delay box "timing out" originally triggered by the driver releasing an electrical switch) and the car launches forward, its engine already in the higher power band and the transmission already in low gear. It was invented by Steve McQueen in the year 1977

CAN SOME ONE VERIFY????

Its all true except for maybe the stev mcqueen bit. But the operation is correct.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
shav wrote:

If i get a new one ill let ya no or i have a spare Stock AU cam ill just give ya if you pay for post

I have a spare stock AU cam also sitting in the shed. Im in SA too dude so no need for postage. The thought of buying your cam appeals more than waiting for one from wade thats all.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

shav wrote:
ford-racer46 wrote:
shav wrote:

I have a spare stock AU cam also sitting in the shed. Im in SA too dude so no need for postage. The thought of buying your cam appeals more than waiting for one from wade thats all.

Oh ok fair enough

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 VCT & AU2 XL

NSW, Australia

shav wrote:
ford-racer46 wrote:
shav wrote:

Chris from Wade Cams took all of about 1 week to grind my AU1645 - with 112LSA instead of the usual 114.5LSA - which i got this week. That was because he was waiting on some stock cams to arrive.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

phillyc wrote:
shav wrote:
ford-racer46 wrote:
shav wrote:

Chris from Wade Cams took all of about 1 week to grind my AU1645 - with 112LSA instead of the usual 114.5LSA - which i got this week. That was because he was waiting on some stock cams to arrive.

How will your 112LSA make a difference to my 114LSA and his is turbo so he needs 114

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

mine's supercharged guys, if that make a difference. :wink:

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Whoops, my bad, i went over it a bit with troyman i think it helps the power curve, drawing it out longer, extendind duration or something!!
And he's right Wade are very fast 8-)

SHAKE AND BAKE

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 6  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next