Fordmods Logo

Cams for EB2? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Cams for EB2?
Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

So far got extractors, hi flow cat, zorst(all 2.5")

Next step is a cam yeah?

Do cams change exhaust note/volume?

I want

a) lumpier idle, I love a loud lumpy car-shuddering idle
b) more power obviously

What should I be looking at and what shops are good in SE melb to fit?

Thanks

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Post subject: Re: Cams for EB2?
Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

no offence, but you need to use the search button at the top right hand corner of the page.

this question comes up about once a day, every day......... theres a few factors that you need to consider before choosing a cam

we can all recommend a cam that will idle like 2rpm's...... but then that would be a race-only application and you would need a few other mods to get the most out of the cam or it WILL go slower

do a search, tell us what youve come up with, what your ultimate goals are

ps: if its an auto, then next step would actually be 4.11 diff gears, OR a T5 manual conversion

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
no offence, but you need to use the search button at the top right hand corner of the page.

this question comes up about once a day, every day......... theres a few factors that you need to consider before choosing a cam

we can all recommend a cam that will idle like 2rpm's...... but then that would be a race-only application and you would need a few other mods to get the most out of the cam or it WILL go slower

do a search, tell us what youve come up with, what your ultimate goals are

ps: if its an auto, then next step would actually be 4.11 diff gears, OR a T5 manual conversion

Yeah it is an auto and a manual conversion is defs on the cards, I'm just waiting to see a conversion kit come for sale in melbourne. In the meantime I'll do other stuff such as cams :) and I did read a few threads on cam choice but came out still unsure...

Ultimate goal is basically just manual and a cam, don't plan any more mods, only plan to keep this car another 15 months till I'm off P plates and can buy me either a big v8 or another 180sx to replace my old one that my mum wrote off :cry:

edit: actually I am planning to also do a thermo fan conversion as well, just watching ebay waiting for a good deal on some :)

3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Big cam + no other mods is a waste.
Just get a Wade 1673.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Big cam + no other mods is a waste.
Just get a Wade 1673.

What mods are you supposed to do alongside a cam?

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

The Wade 1673 will work fine on a mostly standard engine with some air intake and exhaust mods.

That is basically what I have.

The next step is to have some head work done. Shave the head to raise the compression, and have larger valves fitted along with a port and polish. Then match port the inlet and exhaust manifolds to the head.

To step up to a larger cam, you also need to use heavy duty valve springs, and run and after market ECU with custom tuning, or a J3 chip with custom tuning.

In reality, until you have either modded the auto (high stall converter and shift improvements) along with a diff ratio change, or installed a manual box, your cam choice is limited, due to the auto and ECU.

Oh, and lumpy cams don't mean quick on the street. They usually make the car a pig to drive around day to day and it will drink lots of fuel.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

You can do a cam and no other mods.
Big cams require better breathing abilities than smaller cams, and if you go for a big cam in a stock motor, it'll run like a dog and not make as much power as it should be because it cant breathe.
1673 is a mid range cam.
To get the most out of it you'll need extractors, exhaust, and improved/modified intake.. like every other cam.
If you go much bigger you need to start looking at headwork, a chip to run it (should get one anyway with an aftermarket cam), valve springs, basically what BenJ said.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]