Cams on a ef falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Cams on a ef falcon
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF, EL falcon, au futra

VIC, Australia

Hey guys im just woundering if any one can help me?
I want to do my cams in my ef, wat should i get and want it roughly cost.
Cheers :)

EL Falcon, sitting on sl king springs & 18" silver agents, pacemaker extractors with 2.5'' sports exhurst, nf fairlane interior, 5 speed manual with a 3.45 lsd and lots more rkw:
EF Falcon stock standard
ford au furtura the daily

Post subject: Re: Cams on a ef falcon
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Depends what you want. What other mods have you done (or plan to do)? Are you running auto or manual? Are you running a chip or aftermarket ECU?

A hotter cam basically gives away some low-rpm power to gain high-rpm power - moves peak torque and power up the rpm range. The EF is probably under-cammed from the factory, so going to an XR6 cam has no negative side-effects. It is basically one step up, and it's available cheap second-hand.

At the other extreme, you can get a cam that "wakes up" at 3500 rpm and pulls hard to over 6000 rpm. And there is everything in between.

The trick is to keep your mods balanced and working together. There is no point in having a cam that is strong from 3000-5500 rpm if your intake and exhaust are restrictive, your torque convertor stalls at 2100 rpm, and your ECU won't let the car idle.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:25 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Ford mystar wrote:
Hey guys im just woundering if any one can help me?
I want to do my cams in my ef, wat should i get and want it roughly cost.
Cheers :)

and you mention cams, your ef has one cam...lol

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
Depends what you want. What other mods have you done (or plan to do)? Are you running auto or manual? Are you running a chip or aftermarket ECU?

A hotter cam basically gives away some low-rpm power to gain high-rpm power - moves peak torque and power up the rpm range. The EF is probably under-cammed from the factory, so going to an XR6 cam has no negative side-effects. It is basically one step up, and it's available cheap second-hand.

At the other extreme, you can get a cam that "wakes up" at 3500 rpm and pulls hard to over 6000 rpm. And there is everything in between.

The trick is to keep your mods balanced and working together. There is no point in having a cam that is strong from 3000-5500 rpm if your intake and exhaust are restrictive, your torque convertor stalls at 2100 rpm, and your ECU won't let the car idle.

Ok thanks mate i have pacemaker extractors and 2.5" high flow cat and 2.5 pipe and i have a manual that i will be putting in it soon

EL Falcon, sitting on sl king springs & 18" silver agents, pacemaker extractors with 2.5'' sports exhurst, nf fairlane interior, 5 speed manual with a 3.45 lsd and lots more rkw:
EF Falcon stock standard

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:

Ok thanks mate i have pacemaker extractors and 2.5" high flow cat and 2.5 pipe and i have a manual that i will be putting in it soon

EF Falcon stock standard

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]