Fordmods Logo

cams 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: cams
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hi

which cams in the wade and crow cams go well with au 6 cyl engines that has more torque, doesnt increase fuel consumption, has a nice smooth idle and is suitable for a future gas conversion

Post subject: Re: cams
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fairmont1 wrote:
hi

which cams in the wade and crow cams go well with au 6 cyl engines that has more torque, doesnt increase fuel consumption, has a nice smooth idle and is suitable for a future gas conversion

If you want fuel economy, stick with the stock cam and don't modify the car, especially if you do a lot of metro driving. This topic has also been covered many times before, it would be wise to do a search once in a while.

For a little extra kick, Wade 1636 cams are pretty good especially for a mild upgrade with better usuable power/torque. Not too much extra fuel consumption I would presume and from what I have heard, idle is pretty close to stock. Suits manual or auto transmission. Not sure on the gas thing though, might want to PM wade on here.

Wade 1673 will give you a pretty good power/torque but much higher in the rev range. Fuel economy will be rather s**t in metro driving, highway driving is better I found. Idle is a little bit rougher than stock...but nothing I complain about. Not suitable for stock auto...manual or high stall auto is recommended. Again, not sure on gas but I don't see why they wouldn't work with a gas system.

Again, if you don't want to increase fuel economy, don't bother modifying the car. If you want better fuel economy, give it a good major service and replace any sensors that haven't been replaced before. If you want really good economy, you shouldn't be driving such a large car.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

^^ what phongus said, but just pointing out those cams he mentioned are the e-series equivalant, you need to get similar spec cams but made for the AU valvetrain

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
^^ what phongus said, but just pointing out those cams he mentioned are the e-series equivalant, you need to get similar spec cams but made for the AU valvetrain

Oh yeah...thanks for correcting me there...should have mentioned that :)

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

what cams are available for au engines that increases torque, is as good on fuel as with the standard cam, has stock idle, suits auto

can someone please list cams for au engines

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

fairmont1 wrote:
what cams are available for au engines that increases torque, is as good on fuel as with the standard cam, has stock idle, suits auto

can someone please list cams for au engines

If you install a cam, you will have an increase in fuel consumption unless you drive like a granny, if that's the case why bother with a more torquey cam. You won't be able to find a cam that has a much more noticeable torque/power with same amount of fuel usage...idle is another story...hit and miss at times.

There are equivalent cams of the 1636 and 1673 for the AU...have a look at Wade Cams section. They'll be able to help you out.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

whats the 1489b and 690 cams like in power and with those cams are fuel similar or the same

would a stock xr6 cam give more torque and use the same/similar fuel as a std cam

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

do some research

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

for what your going to be doing with the car,(towing) leave the std cam in it.. it will give you the best torque vs fuel economy..
anything that will give you more power or torque gains is going to drink more fuel... there is no avoiding it!

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

what about a stock standard xr6 cam would that give it more torque and keep the standard xr6 fuel comsumption

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:35 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

fairmont1 wrote:
what about a stock standard xr6 cam would that give it more torque and keep the standard xr6 fuel comsumption

If the rest of the engine is good, you might be able to get the same fuel consumption, but the extra torque/power is negilible.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Use the CAMTECH stage 1 cam. I used that cam before using Wage Cams & have installed that cam to a few customers of mine with great results.
This cam will give you heaps more torque & will give you more fuel consumption guarantee it. :wink:
Install this cam with a extra lash shim because it's a regrine cam.
You don't have to put exctrators & exhaust for this cam but if you like to put all your upgrades it will be rewarding in power & torque + fuel economy.
In my car it made 120rwkw & 380rwnm of torque with a auto & some extra modes like exhaust & intake. What you will notice that the revs come on really quick & heaps of pull from your standard cam.
Please beleive me & try it.
SORRY no disrespect for WADE CAMS i love there cams but i used this cam in my car & others with great results. :)

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]