Fordmods Logo

can someone explain this 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: can someone explain this
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el futura

QLD, Australia

i,ve got a el falcon which i,ve had now for maybe 2 years and the whole time i,ve owned it it,s had a oil leak which i thought was maybe the front seal or sump plug. the car has never seemed to run properly and when in economy mode it has always changed real slow into top gear (automatic) and over the past 3 weeks seemed to be struggling at 110kms. i found the oil leak which was the oil sender switch which i changed on friday and finally got the chance sunday to take for a decent run, what a different car it is now. changes into top gear very smoothly, very responsive and just wants to run hard at any speed and using less fuel and not one drop of oil on the ground. i know sensors which are faulty will effect performance but how does a oil sender switch effect performance. i,m trully amased at how a $12 part can totally change the performance of a car.

Post subject: Re: can someone explain this
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

This is the oil switch on the passenger side under the intake manifold?

Beats me... That switch does nothing but drive the light or needle in the instrument cluster... In essence, it serves no purpose but to block that hole off to keep oil pressure in the motor... Even if it were leaking the motor would have retained good oil pressure...

Seems far too coincidental to me... Did you by chance unplug anything else to get to it? Did you maybe bump another sensor which fixed a loose connection?

You're right, it makes no sense and seems physically impossible...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el futura

QLD, Australia

thats the reason i,m asking the question because it doesn,t make sense to me either. all i did was take the airbox out to get to the oil sender which is for the light on the dash, changed sender and put airbox back in. didnt touch anything else other than nip up a couple of sump bolts and sump plug. all i can think of is if the old sender wasn,t keeping a constant pressure the computer was picking this up and changing the mapping but really that doesn,t make much sense either. go figure.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:35 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If you have a light then there is no pressure sensor as such... It is a switch... on for no pressure, off for some pressure...

The computer has no other way of seeing engine oil pressure... even with the sender for the gauge, computer doesn't see engine oil pressure...

Something else had to of change for the improvement you're talking of...

Have you checked the computer for historical codes?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]