Fordmods Logo

can you run carburetors on a au xr6 tickford engine 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: can you run carburetors on a au xr6 tickford engine
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: e series

NSW, Australia

i have a mate who did the vl 6cyl to carby a while ago and he had major problems with fuel delivery and backfiring.i remeber his motor had pretty much engine bits and peices from vl,vk and some older holden some which needed machining to fit,he did build a tidy very torquey motor and went well but smelt horibble(emissions in the car etc...smell horible) if you pull it off you will need to find an old school machine shop with engine mod experience and good luck with that these days

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If you are deadset stuck on doing it Aussiespeed does a 4 barrel carby manifold for an e series 6 which would bolt on. It's a pointless exercise but.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

"i cant afford those numbers thats why im after somthing different, and i havent found a crossflow with over 300hp that was under 5k yet, even talked to prostroke engines and another group that do crossflows for there speedway cars, if i did say bugger it and went the efi there would have to be somthing better then an au tickford engine?"

Yep a BF 190kilowasp I6. Lots of wiring there to do :) and No carb is not an option.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

my advise, keep the crossflow. Bolt extractors/ cam etc to it to liven it up, shave the head etc and just drive it for 4 years until your 22 and can use the 351. No point wasting all your dosh on a bandaid, trust me. We have all been young and impatient before but just think what that 351 would be like if you spend the cash your looking at spending on a tickford 6 on the 351 and just make do till then.
Why not go buy a $1000 run around fun car ( jap crap 2 pot screamer) and pull the Xd off the road for a full rebuild. 4 years of work and the cash you would have spent on an i6 all spent on a 351 makes more sense to me. Not to mention Xd 351's are getting hard to find now days with 302's being more common....... so in theory the 351 Xd will actually make you money in value the long run if your smart.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

some ford driver wrote:
i have a mate who did the vl 6cyl to carby a while ago and he had major problems with fuel delivery and backfiring.i remeber his motor had pretty much engine bits and peices from vl,vk and some older holden some which needed machining to fit,he did build a tidy very torquey motor and went well but smelt horibble(emissions in the car etc...smell horible) if you pull it off you will need to find an old school machine shop with engine mod experience and good luck with that these days

Your mates a knob. Nissan had a factory RB30 with a carby on it called the RB30S, It was in Patrols. All he needed to do was go to a wrecker and buy the complete setup.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
some ford driver wrote:

Your mates a knob. Nissan had a factory RB30 with a carby on it called the RB30S, It was in Patrols. All he needed to do was go to a wrecker and buy the complete setup.

i wasnt going to say anything because i wansnt 100% but i thought m mate owned one years ago that was an rb30 carby, was a short wheel base.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1967 XR fairmont

VIC, Australia

its for a 1967 Xr currently has an xr motor in it

everyone has a commy or an xd onwards ford with big subs and an exaust that sound like a moose f@rt. or some form of ricer, which has the same moose f@rt effect just the moose is in a tunnel.

iv decided on staying with the 250 crossflow, running a 270-277 stroker with a big cam and gear drive, 250 holly head work done and extractors, thats the best i can come up with currently.

or a f series 300 truck motor bored to a 330 high rev somthing, will find out more about this but doubt it

thoughts on this?

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If you use an AU engine, ie 1998 onwards, I believe you will need to comply with the emisions standards set down for that engine. I could be wrong on this but I am sure others will comment. Also I think that due to the engine being 1998 onwards it will need to be EFI.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
If you use an AU engine, ie 1998 onwards, I believe you will need to comply with the emisions standards set down for that engine. I could be wrong on this but I am sure others will comment. Also I think that due to the engine being 1998 onwards it will need to be EFI.

Correctamondo!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: e series

NSW, Australia

my mate aint no knob he might be a holden vl junkie but has built some nice cars that motor was a custom build efi turned to custom carby and had some good power from it which is what the topic starter wants to do so your the knob

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

some ford driver wrote:
my mate aint no knob he might be a holden vl junkie but has built some nice cars that motor was a custom build efi turned to custom carby and had some good power from it which is what the topic starter wants to do so your the knob

some ford driver wrote:
i have a mate who did the vl 6cyl to carby a while ago and he had major problems with fuel delivery and backfiring.went well but smelt horibble(emissions in the car etc...smell horible)

da fuq :roll:

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Last edited by bry40l on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

some ford driver wrote:

So why did he make a busted a*** set up out of a mix of all sorts of s**t, when Nissan had already done it and everything he needed was waiting for him a wrecker?

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
some ford driver wrote:

So why did he make a busted a*** set up out of a mix of all sorts of s**t, when Nissan had already done it and everything he needed was waiting for him a wrecker?

Shhhh don't question Logic. It's a simple answer. He drove a VL, enough said :lol:

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BF GT-P

VIC, Australia

Lonnie wrote:
iv decided on staying with the 250 crossflow, running a 270-277 stroker with a big cam and gear drive, 250 holly head work done and extractors, thats the best i can come up with currently.

or a f series 300 truck motor bored to a 330 high rev somthing, will find out more about this but doubt it

thoughts on this?

Mate don't want to dampen your plans as a P plater but in our wonderful nanny state I didn't think P platers were allowed to drive vehicles with engine mods.
Got this off the vicroads website

Definition of probationary prohibited vehicle (from 1 July 2007)
A vehicle that:
has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle)

Here's the link, better check it properly don't want to give the fuzz an excuse to pick on you.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Lic ... hicles.htm

Just keep the original motor till you can drop the 351 in. Spend ya money on the V8 in the meantime and when it's time to put it in you will be glad you went that way.

THERE'S NOTHING SO GREAT AS A THUMPING V8

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Please note.

YOU ARE THE KNOB
is actually
YOU'RE THE KNOB
and not
YOUR THE KNOB.

Even with the best interests at heart, YOUR THE KNOB could only ever be in relation to talking about someones knob.

Also.

Fullstops. Useful.

Let’s eat Grandma!’ or, ‘Let’s eat, Grandma!’

Punctuation saves lives.

SWC wrote:

Same in NZ matey. Can't go backwards on emmision standards. Thankfully NZ had laxer laws until mid 90's than Aussie. So no cats until late 1998 (EL, AU) from factory.

Do they check that well at the testing places? Not that I've noticed. But legally, yeah. You're f**k.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next