Fordmods Logo

car acting wierd. (suspected battery draining) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: car acting wierd. (suspected battery draining)
Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: falcon ED,EF,EL

ACT, Australia

just as the topic says...i started my ed falcon after about an year off the road. car started just fine but has been acting a bit weird ever since. i put in a fairly new battery in the car and went alright for a week or so and since then its been playing up.
the check abs light comes up whenever its in a mood to..... usually when lights are headlights are switched on or the stereo is put on. the stereo just cuts off and then comes back after a few seconds. oh and the car has a couple of subwoofers in the boot that have decided to join in the list of headaches by pumping bass when in a mood to.

i just cant seem to figure out how to sort it out. all help will be greatly appreciated as i need to sell the cas asap.

Post subject: Re: car acting wierd. (suspected battery draining)
Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'd be checking all your earths... The one in the boot behind right tail light, one above the dash, ones out in the engine bay... If an earth is loose they can give hours of headaches... Battery terminals are clean... no corrosion?

the plugs on the ends of the fusible links could be full of corrosion (mine were when I pulled them out)... If your getting the ABS light its because of a fault in the ABS system which could be low battery supply or something or that nature...

See how you go with that... Just sounds like a loose or dirty connection to me...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

might need to test your alternator see if its charging and may need to get a auto electrician or someone to see if its drawing power back from the battery or find whats draining the battery and fix your power steering if its leeking as the fluid gets in to the alternators too.

also battery terminals may be corroded or earth points might need cleaning ot may need new earth straps and if your fusible links are messy it might be worth converting over to a ef/el fusible link block i used 30A for the black and 20A for the red and 20A for the green fuse link wires and a 70a main fuse for the alternator or you may be able to use a 80a fuse for a 85 a alternator

if you dont know may be best to see a auto electrician or someone else that does know about

see how you go

Last edited by fairmont 1 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

heres a wiring diagram for a EB2/ED hope this helps just wire the fusible link box from the ef model just ignore 2 of the 4 black fuse wires as 2 are for the alternator get the multimeter and work out which 2 black wires you need and which 2 you dont need then wire the red and green wires to each wire on the fusebox seperatley but cut the old fuse links first see how you go

hope it helps

Attachments:
EB2-ED (NC2) Wiring.pdf [382.31 KiB]
Downloaded 289 times

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

this is how the ef fusible link box is wired in my ed, hope this helps you

for the new main alternator wire you need 6 b&s red cable

Attachments:
Doc1.doc [26 KiB]
Downloaded 191 times

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

you might be one the wrong thread there mate...

His car is acting weird... He isn't pulling the fusible links out and replacing with a fuse box...

Cheer,s
TIm

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
I'd be checking all your earths... The one in the boot behind right tail light, one above the dash, ones out in the engine bay... If an earth is loose they can give hours of headaches... Battery terminals are clean... no corrosion?

the plugs on the ends of the fusible links could be full of corrosion (mine were when I pulled them out)... If your getting the ABS light its because of a fault in the ABS system which could be low battery supply or something or that nature...

See how you go with that... Just sounds like a loose or dirty connection to me...

Cheers,
Tim

been sick the whole day so did not get time to go look at the earths. but the terminals were clean and i had put new brass brackets on the terminals. and i think the abs light is because of the low battery as it seems to be the mother of all problmes at the moment.

also where exactly is the earth located on the top of dash ??

thanks for the help, its highly appreciated

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

There is two hexheaded bolts, one each of the tweeter grills in the cowling on top of the dash (you can only see them by looking through from outside the windscreen down on top of the dash... then the cowling slides towards the rear to unclip the 3 big plastic clips and lifts out... almost in the middle of the car you should see a big bundle of earths held down by a bolt...

also, down beside the alternator on the chassis rail is a big earth point, make sure its tight, and then it continues across to the block earth, make sure its tight...

When you have the car running put a volt meter across the the battery, make sure your seeing around 14V across the terminals... If not wriggle the 2 pin plug in the back of the alternator with the motor running and see if the volts come up (could be dirty terminals, if so the needs a good cleaning)...

See how that goes and report back...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

ok so i checked all the earth points and cheked the wires behind alternator and they all seem pretty tight.
coming back to the check abs lights.....i had a talk to a mechanic and he said its probably the abs module or one of the abs sensors that is crooked that cuts off the power to the car so it stalls when its in a mood and then takes about 5 minutes to come back to power.

now the question is that does this conclusion sound sane and how hard is to change the abs module and/or sensors.

all your help will be muchly appreciated.

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hmmm...

If its the ABS module then I wouldn't be changing bits for the sake of it...

I'd be putting the tester on it and getting any codes out of the ABS module and see whats actually the problem...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

well in that case i think i will better off giving it to the mechanic and get it fixed once and for all. thanks tim for your sharing your knowledge.

regards
manu

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

thats ok... could cost you a fortune...

He will need the Ford code tester to find out its issue...

Could be any one of 4 wheel sensors or the module up above the accelerator pedal... Could cost a fortune and take ages to find the problem... Without the tester its like looking for a needle in a hay stack...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

this mechanic that i am talking about used to have his own workshop till about couple of months ago and is currently working in a honda showroom. and he said he has the testers that he is going to put on and check it. i will ask him for a quote by the sounds of it. i hope its not going to cost a fortune.

just out of curiosity how much will a 1993 ed falcon, black color and factory manual with 195xxx k's on it would go for ?? also it has 17's au xr8 rims on it. wont mind throwing in 2 12 inch subs and a amp in it.....if it makes a difference at all .

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it... If that makes sense...

I got my 93 factory manual with cruise... 15's... spoiler... and thats about if for 1600... Had around 300,000k's on it...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

hows ya belts?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next