Car cuts out whilst driving 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Car cuts out whilst driving
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Fingers crossed!

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Ford Falcon EA

VIC, Australia

The other week when my car had its spasm on the way home, I ended up stopping at my brothers for a couple hours and went back out and it started so I thought it was alright but then I left it in the shed for a couple of days without touching it and my battery was completely dead, I've had it checked and charged and it's a1, now what's confused me is all if a sudden it died where as I've left it weeks at a time without starting it and battery hold charge, its a brand new alternator and everything was working good, my positive terminal keeps gathering white powder could this be caused by a draw from somewhere? I've got r&j batterys checking my charging system tomorrow but If anyone else has any ideas??

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It does sound like a TFI module issue. Does it get worse or happen during wet weather? If so it is another sign the TFI is on it's last stretch. Once it dies, it won't come back to life. It could also be coil as well. My TFI module died and the coil died shortly after...so might want to replace that if you can.

Battery wise, there could be a bad connection somewhere or maybe a light is staying on when you turn the car off (check boot light or glove box). How old is the battery?

Regarding battery recharging. When it was flat, how fast was it recharged and at what amperage? Did a pro do it or did you do it at home? It is always a good idea, to run a completely flat battery through a slow recharge/discharge procedure (may take up to 48 hours or more)...this can bring the battery back to life without much internal chemical damage. Having a completely flat battery and then giving it a burst of recharge can cause the plates to sulfonate faster. Hardened sulfated plates will decrease the capacity of a battery and can give false voltage reading when recharged...your recharger might read 100% charged, where in fact it might just be 50% or less.

Flat batteries can be revived, but their holding capacity will be reduced. If it's a really old battery and you have money to buy another one, just get another one.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
It does sound like a TFI module issue. Does it get worse or happen during wet weather? If so it is another sign the TFI is on it's last stretch. Once it dies, it won't come back to life. It could also be coil as well. My TFI module died and the coil died shortly after...so might want to replace that if you can.

Battery wise, there could be a bad connection somewhere or maybe a light is staying on when you turn the car off (check boot light or glove box). How old is the battery?

Regarding battery recharging. When it was flat, how fast was it recharged and at what amperage? Did a pro do it or did you do it at home? It is always a good idea, to run a completely flat battery through a slow recharge/discharge procedure (may take up to 48 hours or more)...this can bring the battery back to life without much internal chemical damage. Having a completely flat battery and then giving it a burst of recharge can cause the plates to sulfonate faster. Hardened sulfated plates will decrease the capacity of a battery and can give false voltage reading when recharged...your recharger might read 100% charged, where in fact it might just be 50% or less.

Flat batteries can be revived, but their holding capacity will be reduced. If it's a really old battery and you have money to buy another one, just get another one.

I had a new coil put in 2 years ago, I haven't really driven it in the wet as of late, and the battery is 2 years and was charged by a pro and he said it is fine and still good I haven't done anything different either as to storage of the car, so I'm about to go and see if my car starts with it charged and hopefully tfi permitting it will let me drive to r&j and they will do a charging system test

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
EA-SPAC-88 wrote:
I can get a new dizzy off the shelf for around $100. Sounds easier just to replace and be done with it

Absolutely!! :D

no,relcate the tfi to a heat sink to the guard,as in the usa,ford knows it problem,ome cars are cold and others are hot mounted on the distributor-fail

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EA-SPAC-88 wrote:
phongus wrote:

I had a new coil put in 2 years ago, I haven't really driven it in the wet as of late, and the battery is 2 years and was charged by a pro and he said it is fine and still good I haven't done anything different either as to storage of the car, so I'm about to go and see if my car starts with it charged and hopefully tfi permitting it will let me drive to r&j and they will do a charging system test

Should ask the pro if they put it through a recharge cycle. I charged my 3 year old battery quickly and it would only hold charge for 2 days if I'm lucky (especially during cold weathers). I then ran the battery through a maintenance cycle on my charger for 2 days and now the charge holds for about 6-7 days. Just double check it...or else get your own battery charger with maintenance capability.

even though 2 years old, it can still die...just depends if you're lucky or not.

I will however say the symptoms you are getting is a TFI issue. If you can find a second working one, chuck it on and see how that goes. Make sure you put some heat paste on it and has the rubber seal on it when installing.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I always intended mounting my TFI module on a heatsink somewhere away from the engine - but never got round to chasing down suitable male blade terminals - or experimenting with filing/sanding down std blade terminals to suit.

Until rust broke out thru the body and I pensioned it off, that TFI Relocation and a Mal Wood Hydraulic clutch were the next two mods I was planning to do...

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Well there is no drain and the charging system works perfect, I think I've found the problem, the interior light must been left on, has anyone had any experience installing a aftermarket kit of some sort to make it beep light later models?? Also is there a tech doc for this tfi relocation? And by what I understand is that I shouldn't get a whole new dizzy? Just the tfi module? Can this be bought from somewhere like Repco? Sorry for all of the questions

Thanks in advance,

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EA-SPAC-88 wrote:
Well there is no drain and the charging system works perfect, I think I've found the problem, the interior light must been left on, has anyone had any experience installing a aftermarket kit of some sort to make it beep light later models?? Also is there a tech doc for this tfi relocation? And by what I understand is that I shouldn't get a whole new dizzy? Just the tfi module? Can this be bought from somewhere like Repco? Sorry for all of the questions

Thanks in advance,

just tfi module,any parts place,no techo i know of butdo a google on the tfi,only needs longer cables and fittings,use the new one to get the spade clips for each end and wires,a thick bit of aluminium to stick it on with scews and a cheap silastic to cover the wires on the dizzy,to holdd and seal it.find some where close and cold-inner guard and easy to get to the dizzy and out of the way.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Use neutral cure silicon. I think blue max and black max are neutral - but they may not be suitable for electrical type situations? - ie. do they have metallic particles in them? Have a read of the labels.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i just used a tube of roof and gutter silicone,doing some guttering repairs,worked well.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Was probably neutral cure then.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2