Fordmods Logo

Car die's after spirited cornering, Aircon pump squeeling?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Car die's after spirited cornering, Aircon pump squeeling??
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Ok, 2 problems. Car is a EL Fairmont, auto 210,000km's Has had head gasget done, head done, new coil, dizzy, leads, plugs, fuel reg and the fuel pump.

First one is i've replaced the fuel pump, and now when you give it abit round corners expeshly wide sweeping bends it dies and takes abit for it to come to life again. Guessing its fuel related as it only does it under a quater of a tank. now it never used to do this till i changed the pump. the pump does go in the little square box thing in the tank right? my thought is during cornering it drains this little box thing and then there is no fuel feeding it till you come straight again and it re-fills, which only appears to be from the top? (bad design?) was looking for holes or something in it but couldn't find any..

Second problem is the aircon pump thing is starting to emit a high pitched squeel, now its not overly loud but audible enough. is there anyway to stop this? can i lube up the pulley? or is the pump on its way out?

Thanks Jack.

Last edited by Waggen on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Car die's are spirited cornering, Aircon pump squeeling??
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Waggen wrote:
Ok, 2 problems. Car is a EL Fairmont, auto 210,000km's Has had head gasget done, head done, new coil, dizzy, leads, plugs, fuel reg and the fuel pump.

First one is i've replaced the fuel pump, and now when you give it abit round corners expeshly wide sweeping bends it dies and takes abit for it to come to life again. Guessing its fuel related as it only does it under a quater of a tank. now it never used to do this till i changed the pump. the pump does go in the little square box thing in the tank right? my thought is during cornering it drains this little box thing and then there is no fuel feeding it till you come straight again and it re-fills, which only appears to be from the top? (bad design?) was looking for holes or something in it but couldn't find any..

Second problem is the aircon pump thing is starting to emit a high pitched squeel, now its not overly loud but audible enough. is there anyway to stop this? can i lube up the pulley? or is the pump on its way out?

Thanks Jack.

1) You have stuffed something up with your fuel pump install. I have had the pump out of my EL Fairmont and re-fitted it without any drama's with fuel pick up etc.

2) Bearing in the A/C compressor pulley is dying. All you can do is replace it as a complete unit. You can't simply knock a new bearing into this type of pulley. Once it starts seizing more you will find the car will idle like a dog and indian smoke signals will appear from under your bonnet, as the drive belt gets smoked. Seen this happen on my brother in-laws work car(ef futura)

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Post subject: Re: Car die's are spirited cornering, Aircon pump squeeling??
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
1) You have stuffed something up with your fuel pump install. I have had the pump out of my EL Fairmont and re-fitted it without any drama's with fuel pick up etc.

2) Bearing in the A/C compressor pulley is dying. All you can do is replace it as a complete unit. You can't simply knock a new bearing into this type of pulley. Once it starts seizing more you will find the car will idle like a dog and indian smoke signals will appear from under your bonnet, as the drive belt gets smoked. Seen this happen on my brother in-laws work car(ef futura)

In reply to 1, i just pulled it out again to check i had done everything correctly, and to me it looked to be fine. i copied how the original one sat to the T, hence why i thought it must be that box thing? did you put your pump back in that box?

and 2, ah not what i wanted to hear. what are the chances of finding another pump that doesn't squeel?

Post subject: Re: Car die's after spirited cornering, Aircon pump squeeling??
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:17 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

fuel good luck,
aircon clutch does come apart and has just normal roller brg inside , easy replace

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

i had thought my ac compressor was stuffed as there was a squeal with the ac on but no squeal with it off. harmonic balancer was on the way out $150 all fixed

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Power steering fluid leaking onto alternator/pulleys?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]