Fordmods Logo

Car has no go,pops,bangs,maybe dodgy fuel? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Car has no go,pops,bangs,maybe dodgy fuel?
Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:06 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA MkII XR8 and XE Sedan 351

NSW, Australia

Hey their,got a 93 ED falcon 6cyl thats been having problems.You go to drive it and as you take off,it has little to no power what so ever,it backfires/pops through the airbox,runs rough and is very sluggish,clears up a bit when you get going,but basically has no go at all,even on WOT.Been like this for a few weeks now.
I did a service on it today (oil and filter,air filter,fuel filter,spark plugs,gapped to correct specs) i had a EB cat convertor lying around and swapped and fiited that one as ive worked on a car with similar problems and turned out to be blocked cat,did that,still no change.It did get a fuel pump replaced about 2 months ago from my now wrecked EA S-pack CFI. And another thing it has been running on e10 ethanol fuel from caltex the last few tanks,but didnotice when doing fuel filter the fuel was clear like water,is that normal,i thought their normally was a bluey/goldy or slightly grenny colour,this fuel was clear,could it be it has a tank of dodgy fuel,anyone out their have any ideas,im a bit stumped at the moment,cheer...Scott aka Vito

BRING BACK THE CLEVELAND!!!

My daily driver-1995 EF Falcon 5 speed 4lt
My project car/weekend warrior-1982 XE Falcon with 351 clevo power,new target is Sydney Powercruise!!
Now wrecking-1989 EA Falcon s-pack 5 speed CFI

Post subject: Re: Car has no go,pops,bangs,maybe dodgy fuel?
Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

sounds like the aux shaft is dead. check the timing. sounds omounously similar to Troyman?? not long ago

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Coil.....

Member Number 8804

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:49 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Hey their, just a bit of an update,after a bit of playing around,decided to replace the oxygen sensor,disconnect the battery,waited a bit,reconnect battery,drove car to relearn computer,found that the car drove quite well on very light throttle application,but put pedal down anymore and it would basically die,no power even on WOT,backfiring through the throttle body/airbox and so on,but go back to light throttle and it would be alright.
Im thinking their may also be a problem concerning the throttle body/TPS,caused possibly by the dodgy oxygen sensor,anyone out there have any ideas or possible causes?? really need to get this thing running well,cheers,Scott aka Vito.

My project car/weekend warrior-1982 XE Falcon with 351 clevo power,new target is Sydney Powercruise!!

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford falcon

QLD, Australia

Had a similar problem with the xf a few years ago and a mechanic told me that if there is any popping or backfiring through the AFM, get another one as it destroys them and keeps sending the wrong info to the computer...mine runs an bmw one which i got from the wreckers i took it to a turbo and tuning guy at south brissy and he fitted and recalibrated it for me and put it on the dyno...problem fixed...the original 150kws produced.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah I've had to same problem with my ED xr6, and my fairlane,
Its asthough under load the car will hesitate, pop and crackle and the revs will die, as soon as you back off a bit its fine.
I ran through all the same things you did and still didn't fix it, after a week the car stopped doing it:S..go figure,
Let us know how you went
- Ash

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

I was of the opinion that the EA CPFI fuel pump wasn't up to the task for supplying enough pressure for MPFI six cylinder engines, though i could be wrong.

Like 'fiftyone' suggested, try changing the coil, even the MAP sensor. I had a backfiring/power problem when my car had the old SOHC engine, i changed both of these and the problem was solved. The backfiring can damage the MAP sensor too.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

the fuel pump is not the same in cpfi and efi ,i put one in to get me around last week car was gutless under load .

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

I'm having this same issue with my EF. Recently had an XR6 head fitted and it started carrying on like this about a week after that... any help would be great :|

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Spoke to my mechanic today and he suggested (over-the-phone diagnosis) that maybe the cat's blocked or possibly fuel filter. Will check it out tomorrow.

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I am going to go with low fuel pressure, put a new pump in or put a fuel pressure sensor on it and find out. My ef xr6 used to pop/backfire on take off or idle when quickly pushing the throttle. Also used to surge when at cruising speed. It had ok power but not where it should be.
Fualty fuel pump was the cause. Not getting enough fuel pressure.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:01 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

I bought a fuel pump and sender from the wrecker this arvo,one out of a ED 4lt EFI.THis should do the trick!..i hope,cos i have also replaced the tps,fuel pressure reg and they didnt work,only thing i can think of is the fuel pump,not enough flow, i replaced the original with a ea cfi one two months ago,as the other one died,the efi ones have twice the flow/kpa capacity as far as i know,i will inform all how it goes,but first,i need to replace the starter motor as that died the other night,this car is soooooo much fun!!,cheers....Scott aka Vito.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

A blocked fuel filter will do the same...

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

My fuel pump was new in August. I've replaced the filter today but got no improvement - will try replacing leads on Monday.

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:15 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Ok today i finished replacing the starter motor,which was a bit of a pain in the a***,but not even the original problem,it went while diagnosing the main prob,i put in a fuel sender/fuel pump out of a 4lt ed falcon like mine,started the car and....it fixed the problem! Im really happy about that,so my tip is if you have an EFI falcon eg ED,DONT fit an CFI Fuel pump/sender as they only supply half the required fuel as i found out.
Only fit one if you really have to!,like if your really desperate. If you looked at both pumps the EFI one is twice the size as CFI one.My symptoms ive spoken about were caused by low fuel pressure/delivery from the CFI pump,fitteda EFI pump/sender likr its supposed to have and its now all good,hope that helps...Scott aka Vito

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next