Fordmods Logo

car has no power in the high rev range, 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: car has no power in the high rev range,
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

now ive just driven my car down to the bank to find it running realy smooth, but then i noticed if i let it rev out, theres no power, when i got home i checked the map sensor/ vaccum lines, and they all seem fine, when i rev it with the door open i can hear a weird sound coming from the muffler, like a hissing/ lots of hair flowing out the exhaust which it never has done before
what the hell hav i broken?
:x
edit: i filled up from a brand new petrol station this morning with 95 octane. could it be from their petrol? i have never filled up there before

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Post subject: Re: car has no power in the high rev range,
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

better not be s**t petrol, the one time i dont take the recipt :roll:

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

Collapsed cat? Just a guess I've herd it can cause power loss... Throwing it out there

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

c james wrote:
Collapsed cat? Just a guess I've herd it can cause power loss... Throwing it out there

yeh, either collapsed cat, damage/crushing of an exhaust pipe or muffler, or some idiot has put something in your tailpipe...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the cat is a redback high flow, any one had one of these colapse?
it runs as usual if not better than it used to in the lower rev range, as soon as it crosses half way on the tacho its just s**t from there, cant even get it to the red line

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

im thinking along the lines of fuel starvation like a fuel regulator problem?
map sensor or something

BF XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

BBM not switching?

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the sam wrote:
BBM not switching?

Was thinking that. BBM should switch at 3600RPM if I'm not mistaken. Tell someone to rev it to 3600 and see if the BBM switches from short to long runners.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Sorry Bry, but is the cat metal or ceramic core?
Metallic core cats dont normally f**k out...

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

seems that the cat has colapsed to me, definatly not the bbm, it seems to be able to ease up to 3200 rpm and thats it, but if i plant the foot even at 1500rpm it has no power and makes this terrible air rushing noise, if i back off it sounds rough, instantly stops that terrible exhaust sound and idles down really quickly to 1200rpm then goes back to normal, will punch it out tommorro until i can weld a new one in there

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

it smells a little funny, sounds rattley, and no steam or water/ fuel dripping out the exhaust

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

well i did a 16 hour shift last night with this ear infection and now all the doctors ive called in my area that i would normaly see are on holiday or on their way to hospital lol
so ive jammed some panadene fort up me guts and have the exhaust unbolted but the cats still to hot, will give it an abortion :D and see how i go lol.

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

started the car with no cat and instantly reved past 3000 and sounded like a normal healthy e series would with no exhaust :) stuck a torch down the end of the cat that bolts to the exhaust and seemed as though the holes were closed over where the exhaust gases travel through,
will be interesting to see if ive actually gained more power with these extractors because maybe the cats been fudged the whole time :roll:

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

maybe the car needs to adjust to not being blocked up but it runs much smoother, exhaust still sounds a little s**t, and it doesnt have as much power as it did before the cat f**k up, still driving much better than what it was lol, couldnt really get it over 80 km/h
thanks for everyones help.

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i dono how to tell what its made of! i have a feeling the gasgets arent sealing properly, probably should replace them, have been undone now 3 times :shock:
i remember my mates falcon had a gutted cat extractors and a 1 muffler set up and it made the same s**t sound so i think i just need to put a new cat on it

also the inside of the cat (on the exit side) seemed to be in one piece when i stuck the torch in there, it just looked like the little holes were all closed over/blocked

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]