Fordmods Logo

car is ticking...not lifters... 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: car is ticking...not lifters...
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11738

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

hey everyone. car does tick at the start but those are lifters and after a while it stops but there is another fainter, yet louder then injectors, ticking noise. i stuck my head into the engine bay and its coming from the passenger side of the car....came to the conclusion of the Distributor...could be the dizzy or the cap or both. but thats just me im not too sure if its supposed to tick?

if it is the dizzy cap is it hard to repalce? ive pulled one out of the EA before but i haven't tried in the EL and im thinking its the same thing....im guessing the cap only fits in one way so not hard?

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 973

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: el wagon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

EL caps are not hrad to replace. I found it best to take out the air filter box, snorkel etc., and it was easier to get at. Cap fit only one way. Remove/replace each lead individualy is best
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11738

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
EL caps are not hrad to replace. I found it best to take out the air filter box, snorkel etc., and it was easier to get at. Cap fit only one way. Remove/replace each lead individualy is best


hmm cool....was thinking the same thing if thats what u mean by replacing each lead individually. remove each lead and plug it into the new cap and then remove the old cap and chuck the new cap on....pronto....oh forgot the laceration of both hands.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: car is ticking...not lifters...
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 4609

Joined: 29th Jul 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

Location: Launceston
TAS, Australia

phongus wrote:
hey everyone. car does tick at the start but those are lifters and after a while it stops but there is another fainter, yet louder then injectors, ticking noise. i stuck my head into the engine bay and its coming from the passenger side of the car....came to the conclusion of the Distributor...could be the dizzy or the cap or both. but thats just me im not too sure if its supposed to tick?

if it is the dizzy cap is it hard to repalce? ive pulled one out of the EA before but i haven't tried in the EL and im thinking its the same thing....im guessing the cap only fits in one way so not hard?

phong =P~


could be the dizzy spinning around. But i doubt just becuase it is making a minor ticking sound it needs replacing.

Is anything actually wrong here?

Engines make nosies, get used to it!!

 

_________________

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: car is ticking...not lifters...
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11738

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

fordzatmyplace wrote:
phongus wrote:
hey everyone. car does tick at the start but those are lifters and after a while it stops but there is another fainter, yet louder then injectors, ticking noise. i stuck my head into the engine bay and its coming from the passenger side of the car....came to the conclusion of the Distributor...could be the dizzy or the cap or both. but thats just me im not too sure if its supposed to tick?

if it is the dizzy cap is it hard to repalce? ive pulled one out of the EA before but i haven't tried in the EL and im thinking its the same thing....im guessing the cap only fits in one way so not hard?

phong =P~


could be the dizzy spinning around. But i doubt just becuase it is making a minor ticking sound it needs replacing.

Is anything actually wrong here?

Engines make nosies, get used to it!!


lol yeah they do...but it seems noisier? my next door neighbours fairlane is quiet when u start it.....mine is like this and that. i think theirs is an EF not too sure.

sometimes when i start the car warm it doesn't start smooth. it would turn over and then really roughly start...with a bit of a thud and heavy shaking for a couple of seconds...could feel the vibration through steering wheel too.....on some days it would turn over really smoothly and quieter and nothing wrong with it.

oh and heavy fuel consumption but i doubt its because of the dizzy...and o2 replaced if that makes any difference

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:31 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names