Fordmods Logo

Car missing or something under load 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Car missing or something under load
Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey

Last night driving home and this morning to work my car just doesnt feel right, feels like its missing under load around 2k umm idle is rough as guts normally (stage 5 its motor). Its on lpg and petty and on petty it idles like an animal but when i switch it to lpg it gets smoother but i think its a bit rougher tyhan normal. what could it be leads are 2 months old and plugs are maybe 6 months old??

ohh and also i have just realised my exhaust is leaking from where the muffler joins to that back bit of pipe, looks like ive hit something but cant see any holes but could this have something to do with it?

any ideas

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA svo turbo, ef Fairmontl

VIC, Australia

i dont think an exhaust leak would make a noticable difference but i am not 100%!!! is it auto or manual? stage 5 cams normally lack power below about 3 grand anyway dont they or do you mean less than normal with a stage 5?

R.I.P George.D.Gogas!!!
4.5.85 - 27.2.05

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ive the stage 4 "it's engine with the stage 5 billet cam... mine does the same thing.. 2000rpm-2500rpm has an occasional misfire.. under light load.. ive replaced the spark plugs and spark leads + oxygen sensor... problem might be within the coilpack...

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i had an ef xr6 not modified but similar symptoms. intermittant misfire. turned out to be crank angle sensor. showed up on codes so maybe check the codes and see if anything shows up.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

prydey wrote:
i had an ef xr6 not modified but similar symptoms. intermittant misfire. turned out to be crank angle sensor. showed up on codes so maybe check the codes and see if anything shows up.

kool will check the codes

cheers

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

if it does it on both, it may be head gasket

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
if it does it on both, it may be head gasket

can't be the motors only 20000 - 25000 kms old. plus ive checked and the oil hasnt got any coolant in it.

now i havent checked codes yet but i had the exhaust leak fixed and its a bit better, it just feels jerky going through the rev range like 1st and 2nd are really jerky and gets better as you go up the gears even when ur cruising it sometimes jerks. It even jerks when ur slowing down with the gears aswell

im thinking maybe has something to do with the manual box?? at idle it doesnt sound like its missing as such i mean its hard to tell with a lumpy a** stage 5 cam so hmmm

could it be the tranny?? last night im driving home stopped at a lights and it sounds like somethings rubbing in the tranny area like flywheel on clutch or something??

it seems like a i cant go a week without something going wrong with this car which sucks cause ive spent to much on this thing
any help im gettin desparte now

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

any1???

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

You are running a high compression motor, what - about 11-12 to 1? You're probably running a stock fuel regulator / injectors as well? Supose you're running a stock ECU and haven't run it on a dyno? I think you should.

If yours is anything like mine (12.8-1 compression) - you need octane to achieve power with safety - you also need sufficient fuel of course but back to octane. I run premium 98 and a tin catalyst through the fuel line so in theory - 100 octane at minimum. The car goes like a rocket while cold (not much is going on in the way of steering at full throttle in second). When it warms up and under open throttle I occasionally get a sound best described as an automatic BB gun being fired at a sheet of tin - coming from the catalytic converter (I assume).

I once filled up on 10-50 weight oil (previously 15-60 weight) - when the the car was warm and under medium load it would make the 'duck with the runs and a gut full of ball bearings sound - until the revs were up to around 3500rpm or throttle was backed off.

To my way of thinking, high revs = lower manifold vacuum. If drawn engine oil through the pcv line is robbing you of octane then it's also robbing you of ignition advance. The fact is that at such high compression you can't afford to lose octane any more than you want to be underfueled under load in open throttle.

Another interesting fact I've found. On the stock ecu, the car progressively gains better fuel economy as time progresses as does the gattling gun effect. When the ECU is reset - I barely notice a problem, though it should also be noted that average fuel consumption is up and I'm sure there is overfueling in some of the rev range. I'm going to run an oil catch can as an interim measure (or to eliminate the pcv line as a posible factor). Either way, for stability I know I'm up for a new ECU.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah my comp is pretty high its an ITS Performance stage 5 but it does this on both lpg and petty and never did before thats the thing?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]