Fordmods Logo

Car not starting sometimes.. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Car not starting sometimes..
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII T5

VIC, Australia

hey guys, lately ive been having this trouble where, car runs pretty fine (except idle searches a bit, starts off unnoticable, but then it starts searching wider and wider until the car shudders when it hits so low) anyway, thats not my main concern, although it is probably part of the same problem... problem is, and i find this only happens when car is on a slight incline/decline. if i turn off the car, and go to turn it over 5 - 10 mins later, it wont kick over, this only happens somtimes, and only on an incline so far. and it starts once the engine is cooled down...

i have got a new engine in it, new fuel pump, and replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and it definately has spark

anyone had this problem before? as it is getting to be a very annoying problem, as i have to wait for the car to cool to start it again...
cheers guys

dave

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

ISC sounds liek it needs a clean!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB 5Spd

QLD, Australia

i had a similar problem, turned out to be the coil pickup inside the distributor, wouldnt start for sometimes up to 20mins after you turn it off drove me nuts until one day it just stopped starting all together

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

oh forgot to mention, new dizzy, coil, leads and plugs, so i guess that leaves the ISC?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

some times the fuel pump will lose it's presure and it will take a second or two .to start wifes is doing the same thing in her ef

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

i have a similarish problem. When car is parked on a slight slope after a driving around a little, and its a warmish day the car wont even kick over, all you hear is a pump type noise (sounds like fuel pump). And also the smartlock light stops flashing. Then after about 10 mins it wil decide to start again. Went to auto electricion and he said its common that smartlock will play silly buggers and stop the car from starting as we described to him. Goes in on friday will tell result, when i get it back.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm not sure about the earlier E series cars, but on the EF, the BEM is located behind the dash, next to the radio. I.e, down and to the passenger side of the steering wheel.

These often bugger up with dry solder joints and stop the starter from engaging. If it is the BEM, and I'm not even sure if the early E series have them, give that area where the BEM is located a light tap, the car should fire into life.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

maybe also the fule pump wasnt put in correctly and isnt picking up correctly or i dont know if falcons have them, but the pick up tubes in the tank might be incorrectly fitted or come off, have seen this in other cars

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

what are the injectors like?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

the reason i had the fuel pump changed is because of this problem, as it also idles rather strangely, searches a lot... so it has done this both before and after fuel pump refitting... and not too sure what the injectors are like, but would this stop the car from starting at all? it wants to start, but sounds like its got no petrol... plus ive tried removing the fuel line from the back of the injectors and it squirted petrol everywhere, BUT it started when i did this! and ran until the fuel left in injectors ran out.... im stuck on this one! why is it only doing it when i park on a slope?

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

aight guys this is getting annoying :P ive changed fuel pump/wiring, basically everything short of ecu, injectors and fuel lines themselves

it seems to mainly do this when the car is on a hill/angle, but today proved that it can do it on the flat too, happened in the city today, and at 7eleven earlier, which is where it sits right now. in the city, i just kept the ignition on and continued to try to crank it til it seemed like it got a slight taste of petrol, and struggled to breath for a few seconds and wouldnt let me rev it, til then it kicked back up and revved normal again....

please guys, any ideas would be awesome, this is getting to be a real pain in the a**!

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

aight guys this is getting annoying :P ive changed fuel pump/wiring, basically everything short of ecu, injectors and fuel lines themselves

it seems to mainly do this when the car is on a hill/angle, but today proved that it can do it on the flat too, happened in the city today, and at 7eleven earlier, which is where it sits right now. in the city, i just kept the ignition on and continued to try to crank it til it seemed like it got a slight taste of petrol, and struggled to breath for a few seconds and wouldnt let me rev it, til then it kicked back up and revved normal again....

please guys, any ideas would be awesome, this is getting to be a real pain in the a**!

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

almost sounds like the isc.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

how easy is this to clean/replace? and is it wierd for it to only do it sometimes?

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i wouldn't think that it would cause a problem, but maybe it is.
i cleaned mine with spirits.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next